Hotseat

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. Experience every bone-rattling explosion and soul-crushing charge in Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector, the definitve battle-scale game of turn-based strategy and fast-paced combat that takes you to the battlefields of the 41st Millenium.
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Hotseat

Post by eddieballgame »

The store page is advertising 'hotseat'.
Is this 'true hotseat'?
zgrssd
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Hotseat

Post by zgrssd »

eddieballgame wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:27 pm The store page is advertising 'hotseat'.
Is this 'true hotseat'?
How would 'fake hotseat' look like and/or differ from true?
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

You may be unaware that a few of the Slitherine games advertise 'hotseat' for multiplayer; but only via an internet connection.
This entails having to setup a multiplayer game & then logging into it in order to play on the same computer.
Sanctus Reach & FoG II (both great games) come to mind.
'True Hotseat' (like hundreds of pc games from the past) does not require an internet connection.
Some examples of this are Panzer Core Gold, the Strategic Command Series, & Warplan to name a few.
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Post by blacklab »

eddieballgame, you'll be happy to know that no internet connection is required for hotseat.
Paul Turbett - Game Director - Black Lab Games
twitter.com/blacklabgames
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

blacklab wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:43 am eddieballgame, you'll be happy to know that no internet connection is required for hotseat.
Fantastic & thank you for the reply.
Looking forward to purchasing this, cheers.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

eddieballgame wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:39 am You may be unaware that a few of the Slitherine games advertise 'hotseat' for multiplayer; but only via an internet connection.
This entails having to setup a multiplayer game & then logging into it in order to play on the same computer.
'True Hotseat' (like hundreds of pc games from the past) does not require an internet connection.
Some examples of this are Panzer Core Gold, the Strategic Command Series, & Warplan to name a few.
I just checked the store page. Maybe they changed it since you last looked, but FOG 2 and Sanctus Reach list "Traditional PBEM", with FOG 2 medieval listing "PBEM++".
But all 3 seem to be on "PBEM++" by now.
They might have had a ingame option named "Hotseat", but that is not quite advertising it.

Normally you pick PBEM as the MP design of choice, if you can not even afford the server to manage the MP games.Or at least not reliably/for the whole runtime of the game.
But it seems that "a bit of server" has become more the norm: Take PBEM process, but add a minimalistic Server just to exchange the Savegames. You get to re-use most of the PBEM code making it cheap to retrofit and can keep PBEM as a fallback option. As I understand it, it started with people doing semi-automatic Savegame exchanges via Discord.
It seems Slitherine calls that PBEM++
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

zgrssd wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:41 pm
eddieballgame wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:39 am You may be unaware that a few of the Slitherine games advertise 'hotseat' for multiplayer; but only via an internet connection.
I just checked the store page. Maybe they changed it since you last looked, but FOG 2 and Sanctus Reach list "Traditional PBEM", with FOG 2 medieval listing "PBEM++".
But all 3 seem to be on "PBEM++" by now.
They might have had a ingame option named "Hotseat", but that is not quite advertising it.

Normally you pick PBEM as the MP design of choice, if you can not even afford the server to manage the MP games. Or at least not reliably/for the whole runtime of the game.
But it seems that "a bit of server" has become more the norm: Take PBEM process, but add a minimalistic Server just to exchange the Savegames. You get to re-use most of the PBEM code making it cheap to retrofit and can keep PBEM as a fallback option. As I understand it, it started with people doing semi-automatic Savegame exchanges via Discord.
It seems Slitherine calls that PBEM++
Per the titles you listed, you are correct per multiplay.
You must login to the server...even to setup a 'hotseat' game.
Originally for FoG II, at least, it had some limitations per choosing sides/units, etc.
Grant it...probably not many folks care about that feature anyways & 'PBEM++' is a superb format.
If I recall, even Fantasy General II has no 'true hotseat', & again...the 'PBEM++' feature is superb for this title as well.

The great games Shadow Empire & Panzer Corps 1 & 2 offer 'true hotseat' (one computer no internet needed) as well as playing via email or any other method for sharing a 'turn file'.
After a few games & hundreds of turns per this method (pbem, that is)...I can say it works flawlessly.

Much of us older gamers can recall (fond memories of ?) many hours of 'switching seats' per their turns in games like HOMM III & SMAC, for example even though they offered 'lan' or direct IP; which is something I wish all multiplayer games offered.
'Lan'/direct IP completely avoids down server/maintenance issues; of course, I realize those days are gone for the most part. :)
NikiforosFokas

Post by NikiforosFokas »

With live and asynchronous multiplayer, and hotseat modes available, there’s no excuse not to take your friends...

May I ask what the live multiplayer means? Am I right to suppose that there will be a non-Pbem multiplayer mode?
Or it is just my wish?
For Byzantium!!

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector”