Couple Questions

Scramble: Battle of Britain is a simultaneous turn-based dogfighting game with dynamic flight physics. Shred your enemies in a 3D airspace by planning your flight path, executing spectacular maneuvers, and reviewing each planes’ movements at the end of every turn.
Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Couple Questions

Post by Mord »

Hi.
Game looks cool. Been wanting something like this for a long time. I have a number of questions I hope you can answer. I asked a few of them in the stream but things were hectic so I am hoping to get some more precise answers.

1.) Will we be able to name pilots?

2.) Will there be a kill list for pilots, as in how many planes they shot down?

3.) Can pilots be wounded and/or killed or will it only be the planes being shot down?

4.) Any chance of linking scenarios for a basic campaign?

5.) How customizable will the time limit for turns be? Could I set it to where I can take all the time I want to plot moves?

6.) Will we be able to rewind or fast forward replays? Or is a one time viewing?

7.) Will we be able to follow any planes in the replay, Ex: Click on a plane and watch the replay from it's vantage point?

Thanks!

Mord.
manickennel
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Couple Questions

Post by manickennel »

Thanks for the kind words. To take your questions in order:
  1. I think so. It's easy enough to do. Pilots have a short life expectancy though, so don't get too attached!
  2. Absolutely!
  3. We're playing around with this feature at the moment, we'll have to see how much sense it makes once the game is a bit further developed, whether it really adds anything useful or not.
  4. There will be a campaign, a series of missions that reflects the passage of the overall arc of the Battle of Britain and showcasing various different types of mission. We are not making a narrative-heavy game here, the combat is very much the focus.
  5. It will be entirely customisable.
  6. and...
  7. ...I will take together. The planning and review phases are the essence of the game, so you will be able to scroll forwards and backwards through the action, focus on any of the planes, jump immediately to your targeted aircraft, etc. Free camera as well. Any feature we consider putting into the game has to work fully with the rewind and replay system. Mastering this is an essential part of the challenge, so it needs to be powerful and work well - which thankfully it already does :D
Hope this helps!
Senior Producer of FOG Kingdoms, Scramble, Stargate, Broken Arrow and Ancient Arenas: Chariots
Jotte
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Jotte »

This looks very interesting! :D
Are there any plans past first release with expanding the plane set and new locations?
Mord
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

manickennel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:35 am Thanks for the kind words. To take your questions in order:
  1. I think so. It's easy enough to do. Pilots have a short life expectancy though, so don't get too attached!
It would be awesome if you did. Too many wargames leave out this feature. Lots of players love the ability to create names for their units. It seems like such a small thing but it adds immersion and a connection to your pilots (or soldiers, tankers etc.). Some games don't even provide names for the men leading a unit, let alone let you name any. It's much more engrossing to see Lt. Jone's tank take out a Panther than to see "Sherman A1" do it.

manickennel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:35 am[*]We're playing around with this feature at the moment, we'll have to see how much sense it makes once the game is a bit further developed, whether it really adds anything useful or not.
I think it would add realism and immersion to the fight. It doesn't have to happen a lot but to leave it out would feel less real. A pilot should have to worry about being hit as well as keeping his plane from being blown apart. Let me put it this way, I highly doubt anyone will complain if you add it in, but people will definitely notice if it's missing.

manickennel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:35 am[*]There will be a campaign, a series of missions that reflects the passage of the overall arc of the Battle of Britain and showcasing various different types of mission. We are not making a narrative-heavy game here, the combat is very much the focus.
Excellent. Linked scenarios are fine by me. The missions themselves and what takes place during them will provide enough story as far as I am concerned. This is the kind of game (like Combat Mission) that will create stories from within the context of the battles and what happens therein; knocking out an enemy plane that is targeting your crippled wingman, becoming an Ace, killing a top enemy pilot, etc.

manickennel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:35 amHope this helps!
Sure did. Lots of great info and I appreciate all the answers. It's looking like you are gonna have a winner. Lots of room for expansions too; A US dlc, Italy, North Africa, Pacific, Eastern Front, and even WWI (that would be something), all kinds of avenues! You guys pull this off we could have the start of a beautiful new franchise.

8.) Are there gonna be bail outs if a plane is going down? If so is there danger of them failing? Canopy stuck, plane tumbling, etc.?

Mord.
JTFox001
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JTFox001 »

I'd like to add a question if I may.

If the flight paths are planned simultaneously how do you follow another plane?

Cheers
There is only one principle of war and that's this.

Hit the other fellow, as quickly as you can, as hard as you can, where it hurts him most, when he ain't lookin'.

William Slim
manickennel
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by manickennel »

The flight path for the enemy will show you where the plane would go in the next turn if it followed the same path as the previous turn. It does not show you where the plane is planning to go.
Senior Producer of FOG Kingdoms, Scramble, Stargate, Broken Arrow and Ancient Arenas: Chariots
JTFox001
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JTFox001 »

manickennel wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:37 am The flight path for the enemy will show you where the plane would go in the next turn if it followed the same path as the previous turn. It does not show you where the plane is planning to go.
So if a plane was flying straight and level then I would have to guess which way it might turn?

Surly been behind another plane would give you the advantage of reacting to the movement?

Cheers
There is only one principle of war and that's this.

Hit the other fellow, as quickly as you can, as hard as you can, where it hurts him most, when he ain't lookin'.

William Slim
doc99
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by doc99 »

Keep up the good work...really looking forward to this!!!!

Return to “Scramble: Battle of Britain”