Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Post by rexhurley »

nutoha wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:36 pm Heads up guys, this kind of players are getting fewer. They dont want to learn(hard way which is fastest but painfull) and have the false expectations for enjoyment and(or) possibilities to beat another human after completing the campaign on default difficulty(they can beat only players like themselves). I have checked the last 2 tournaments results, and the conclusion is that from the 6 rounds combined I had only 1 finished game. Such players also loose interest in game cause no one enters theirs regular games and even if they join mine I surrender.
Rex learned some things hard way, and will in future, but this is how you get better and enjoy the game more and more - Thank you Rex!
Agreed but I could have easily stopped playing that match after turn 2 and you would have only got a few hundred points and not 3000+. I gave the event another opportunity as you know and now for the third round of five I am shafted but a player not choosing to continue when he started loosing and wont respond to PM's. Stupid thing is his position is recoverable but he has chosen just not to play . I am still of the opinion its farcical come the next round he will only be 400 odd points behind me and I only end with less than a 1000 points for the competition and still be in the cellar with more players of this ilk.

Also frustrating has been repeated formal attempts before and during to leave the event none of which have come to pass. Once again farcical. I now read about this cock up with people loosing their VP while reviewing the battlefield, ouch. FARCICAL! :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil:
kleko11
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Post by kleko11 »

A lot of good points were raised:
- IMO biggest issue after a few rounds are people who stop playing when the game swing is not in their favor. For now, I was one of the lucky ones, my opponents played till the end even when they were losing. I don't have a good solution for it, but maybe treat people (who couldn't finish their game due to the opponent refusing to continue) by giving them points for all VP for each reminding turn?
- 2nd thing is fairly minor, but it would be great if you could join both games for deployment immediately, so you can at least inspect your defender forces. This allows you to check the defender side before finalizing your deployment for the attacker. With the current system player who deploys 1st is at a slight disadvantage.

Few comments for people still confused about the scoring system:
- 500 points for winning as the defender was never in place! You can only get it as the attacker.
- When you capture a point as an attacker you don't get points for it in the same turn (only from the start of the next, given that you still hold it).

I guess even my luck has its limits. I am another 'victim' of the "Review Battlefield" button. So I finished the game as an attacker on turn 9 and could not upload my game as "'Uploading the game' Request Failed". As of now, I have 506 points for that game, when in reality it should be: 506 (previous turn score) + 80 (4 VP hold on the beginning of turn 9) + 600 (5 VP hold for reminding 6 turns) + 500 (victory bonus) + some points for units killed = grand total of a bit over 1686 points! That's over 1100 difference :? I believe other guys having the same issue lost more than just a 500 point bonus. However, I think it should be relatively easy to fix by whoever is overseeing the tournament, or at least I hope so! What is even more confusing is that it worked in previous rounds, so no idea what could possibly break it :shock: Screenshot as proof:
tournament server bug.jpg
tournament server bug.jpg (643.14 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
tkrysiak
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tkrysiak »

kleko11 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:48 pm A lot of good points were raised:
- IMO biggest issue after a few rounds are people who stop playing when the game swing is not in their favor. For now, I was one of the lucky ones, my opponents played till the end even when they were losing. I don't have a good solution for it, but maybe treat people (who couldn't finish their game due to the opponent refusing to continue) by giving them points for all VP for each reminding turn?
- 2nd thing is fairly minor, but it would be great if you could join both games for deployment immediately, so you can at least inspect your defender forces. This allows you to check the defender side before finalizing your deployment for the attacker. With the current system player who deploys 1st is at a slight disadvantage.

- 500 points for winning as the defender was never in place! You can only get it as the attacker.
- When you capture a point as an attacker you don't get points for it in the same turn (only from the start of the next, given that you still hold it).

I guess even my luck has its limits. I am another 'victim' of the "Review Battlefield" button. So I finished the game as an attacker on turn 9 and could not upload my game as "'Uploading the game' Request Failed". As of now, I have 506 points for that game, when in reality it should be: 506 (previous turn score) + 80 (4 VP hold on the beginning of turn 9) + 600 (5 VP hold for reminding 6 turns) + 500 (victory bonus) + some points for units killed = grand total of a bit over 1686 points! That's over 1100 difference :? I believe other guys having the same issue lost more than just a 500 point bonus. However, I think it should be relatively easy to fix by whoever is overseeing the tournament, or at least I hope so! What is even more confusing is that it worked in previous rounds, so no idea what could possibly break it :shock: Screenshot as proof:
tournament server bug.jpg
Yup, you are in the same boat as me then - over 1100 points gone for early win at turn 9 due to the same error. I do hope that organizers will come up with a solution to all this as scenarios are super fun to play. However with all that points/bugs/missed games mess, personally I am not sure if it is worth continuing for a full year of anxiety, anger and despair vented on the forums. Anyways, hopefully we will at least get an official communication regarding this before the Round 5 is over...
Uchmunduk
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Uchmunduk »

I wish the developers to describe in more detail the conditions of each round. Nowhere was it said that the loss of Mgi closes the possibility of hiring new troops. Worst of all is the introduction of auxiliaries. In the game for the Soviets, I accidentally deleted a few units ... in the end - CORRECT. I did not have enough strength to knock the opponent out of the dots. The most pointless and disgusting round in the entire tournament. Troops are tightly tied to starting positions, with no possibility of tactical distribution. And one small mistake ruins the whole round. It is ironic that in the previous round (Ardennes) I managed to achieve excellent results for both the Allies and the Wehrmacht.
DMcCooey206
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by DMcCooey206 »

For the first one, the solution is more simple, drop the Points system achieved in the game and simplify with a swiss system all wins are the same. Then after several rounds winners match winners and in the end you get a Legit Champion. Not one who's score is Massively based on the luck of the draw on the opponents he drew during the tourney. I understand the thought behind the points system, but there are too many pitfalls as we've seen to make it work well.

Your 2nd point is also a good one, this tournament is devoid of some thought as to competitive fairness. Another example is in the latest round it didn't occur to them that the weather needs to be the same in each of the 2 games between the combatants, if you want the match to be even. It wouldn't be hard, and I hope they realize it's bad form to not have them be the same. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand in Every Scenario the weather helps one side more than the other side.
DMcCooey206

Post by DMcCooey206 »

Uchmunduk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:20 am I wish the developers to describe in more detail the conditions of each round. Nowhere was it said that the loss of Mgi closes the possibility of hiring new troops. Worst of all is the introduction of auxiliaries. In the game for the Soviets, I accidentally deleted a few units ... in the end - CORRECT. I did not have enough strength to knock the opponent out of the dots. The most pointless and disgusting round in the entire tournament. Troops are tightly tied to starting positions, with no possibility of tactical distribution. And one small mistake ruins the whole round. It is ironic that in the previous round (Ardennes) I managed to achieve excellent results for both the Allies and the Wehrmacht.
I also accidentally deleted some Soviet Units and imagine the horror of realizing you don't even get any Prestige credited. So your game is basically shot at that point and you have to play 15 turns knowing your screwed. It wouldn't be so bad if it was simply win/loss, and then you can mercy out of the round and not make your opponent suffer, but this point systems makes that not possible.
AntoineBertschy

Post by AntoineBertschy »

royalcid wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:08 pm
AntoineBertschy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:44 pm En ce qui concerne ta question, mon adversaire m'a causé mille tourments jusqu'au tour 8. L'arrivée du beau temps m'a permis de mettre (enfin) mon aviation en action contre son artillerie. Je lui ai pris un hexagone au tour 11, un au 12 et les 3 derniers au 13.
L'arrivée du beau temps... losing this was really frustrating. But I guess my bet to go without any AA with the germans during the whole battle was a bit over the top ;-)
But thank you for the nice fight!

Despite of the problems with scoring etc. I really enjoy the tournament with good players and new maps and challenges that can't be trained beforehand.
The campaign never thrilled me like this.
Thanks to you, it was a really good game with two very different strategies.
It's true that your bet to do without planes was daring. But if there had been a "surrender" button as proposed by a player, I would have clicked on it on turn 5! And on turn 6 I realized that you no longer had "Prestiges"... Like what a game can turn quickly.
Thank you again for this great battle and good luck for the rest of the tournament.
By the way, I believe they didn't count your 500 victory points.
tkrysiak
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tkrysiak »

Uchmunduk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:20 am I wish the developers to describe in more detail the conditions of each round. Nowhere was it said that the loss of Mgi closes the possibility of hiring new troops. Worst of all is the introduction of auxiliaries. In the game for the Soviets, I accidentally deleted a few units ... in the end - CORRECT. I did not have enough strength to knock the opponent out of the dots. The most pointless and disgusting round in the entire tournament. Troops are tightly tied to starting positions, with no possibility of tactical distribution. And one small mistake ruins the whole round. It is ironic that in the previous round (Ardennes) I managed to achieve excellent results for both the Allies and the Wehrmacht.
I totally agree on fact that ALL rules should be saved as a sticky or something for everyone to see anytime! As for the deployment hexes, I do apologie - I originally meant it only as a distraction ;-)

P.S: @Uchmunduk - Could we finish the remaining six turns of our game once you have a moment?
grabbysnatch
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by grabbysnatch »

round 5 only has a few days left and i am very frustrated. My opponent took a few days to do their set up and take their first turn.From then, they have only played every few days and now i have been waiting almost a week for them to take their next turn. whilst i know i don't have enough points to win the tournament, it would be nice to enjoy the tournament as it was meant to be. i now know i am not going to get this round finished through no fault of my own and i am no t going to get the full pts i may or may not have won. it leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but i am not sure what can be done going forward to prevent this
Trepko
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trepko »

I identified bugged games (including yours btw) in this thread a few days ago => viewtopic.php?f=665&t=108139 (of course, as I did this a few days ago, some "new" bugged games may not be mentionned there as they were not finished when I wrote my post).

Concerning the 500 winning points => like you, I was also convinced that they were only granted to the attacker (and I even wrote it in this very thread). But it seems that we were wrong, or at least that we have been wrong since round 5 => I got the 500 winning points as defender in round 5 (with an early win as defender = all russian units destroyed + all supply hex captured before the end of turn 15). Just look at my score in this round (2114 points as defender) !
Simple calculation can easily prove that it is totally impossible to reach 2000 points just by cumulating Victory Hex points + destroyed core slots points. 500 winning points are absolutly necessary to reach 2000 points.
Uchmunduk

Post by Uchmunduk »

tkrysiak wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:56 pm
I totally agree on fact that ALL rules should be saved as a sticky or something for everyone to see anytime! As for the deployment hexes, I do apologie - I originally meant it only as a distraction ;-)

P.S: @Uchmunduk - Could we finish the remaining six turns of our game once you have a moment?
Yes, sure. Good game. If only I had studied the rules more carefully. It would be more interesting. I will try to finish with the moves tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. I got a little sick. Hope it's not COVID
kleko11

Post by kleko11 »

Trepko wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:14 pm I identified bugged games (including yours btw) in this thread a few days ago => viewtopic.php?f=665&t=108139 (of course, as I did this a few days ago, some "new" bugged games may not be mentionned there as they were not finished when I wrote my post).

Concerning the 500 winning points => like you, I was also convinced that they were only granted to the attacker (and I even wrote it in this very thread). But it seems that we were wrong, or at least that we have been wrong since round 5 => I got the 500 winning points as defender in round 5 (with an early win as defender = all russian units destroyed + all supply hex captured before the end of turn 15). Just look at my score in this round (2114 points as defender) !
Simple calculation can easily prove that it is totally impossible to reach 2000 points just by cumulating Victory Hex points + destroyed core slots points. 500 winning points are absolutly necessary to reach 2000 points.
You seem to be correct. I've performed 'test' during the last turn of my defender game and indeed it gives you 500 points if you win 'prematurely' by killing all units & supply hexes. Before turn 15 I had 1682 points, but after killing the last bunker on the map game instantly finished and gave me more points than expected (600 instead of 100 for just holding 5 VP - 2282 can be seen below). However, I still had a problem with not being able to update the game status to the server (obviously I did not click the 'Review Battlefield' button this time). So I have a suspicion that winning early has something to do with a score not being updated! As per usual screenshot proof below:
1) 500 points for early win defender
2) server bug
Attachments
500 points for defender.jpg
500 points for defender.jpg (488.01 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
another server bug.jpg
another server bug.jpg (256.74 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Trepko
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trepko »

kleko11 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:17 pm
You seem to be correct. I've performed 'test' during the last turn of my defender game and indeed it gives you 500 points if you win 'prematurely' by killing all units & supply hexes. Before turn 15 I had 1682 points, but after killing the last bunker on the map game instantly finished and gave me more points than expected (600 instead of 100 for just holding 5 VP - 2282 can be seen below). However, I still had a problem with not being able to update the game status to the server (obviously I did not click the 'Review Battlefield' button this time). So I have a suspicion that winning early has something to do with a score not being updated! As per usual screenshot proof below:
So you mean both your games were bugged ? how sad :/
I hope devs can do something about this issue so everyone can have the points he deserves...

However, this issue isn't so easy to explain. Your test tends to prove that it's not linked to the "review battefield" button, as the bug happened even if you didn't use it. My own situation seems to prove it's not linked to early victory either (I got an early victory in both my games, got the +500 in both, and no end-bug in both). The high number of games/people involved makes it clear it's not linked to an individual failing internet connection. Maybe the Slitherine servers ? Maybe the tournament games parameters ? Quite puzzling !
tkrysiak
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tkrysiak »

Trepko wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:55 pm
kleko11 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:17 pm
So you mean both your games were bugged ? how sad :/
I hope devs can do something about this issue so everyone can have the points he deserves...

However, this issue isn't so easy to explain. Your test tends to prove that it's not linked to the "review battefield" button, as the bug happened even if you didn't use it. My own situation seems to prove it's not linked to early victory either (I got an early victory in both my games, got the +500 in both, and no end-bug in both). The high number of games/people involved makes it clear it's not linked to an individual failing internet connection. Maybe the Slitherine servers ? Maybe the tournament games parameters ? Quite puzzling !

Whatever it is, its not entirely related to "review battlefield" I have encountered exactly the same issue and no points in my early win as soviets after clicking "continue" Same error and had to alt+f4 - this could be a communication issue etc. However without an official response we can only speculate...
CronusMaximus

Post by CronusMaximus »

My opponent, User name: alexlucca18, is an opponent that has chosen to deliberately delay taking his last remaining turns... he has not taken his turns over the 1st two consecutive days of the last 6 days of round #5. Earlier in Tournament Round 5, he deliberately only took turns for battles where he was the Germans, where he had a clear advantage and deliberately did not take his turns as the Russian, where I as the Germans had the advantage. He did this twice and I called him out on a Private Message requesting that he stop this behavior... trying to handle this in private. From that point until the last 6 days of round 5 he did so. Now with 4 days left... he has 1 last turn as the Germans (where I am now doing better) and I have 3 turns left on the battle where I am the Germans and doing quite well.<br/>
<br/>
I am sending this message to all future opponents of this guy as a warning... and also to the Tournament Administrators in hopes that they will take appropriate actions as to whether people like this ought to be given the leeway of continuing within this tournament and only get some pre-designated point penalty for this unacceptable behavior. I invite the Tournament Administrators to look at my private message I sent him and the game turn data of our battles to confirm what I am saying. looking at some of the recent comments in this forum, it appears that I am not alone. <br/>
<br/>
What is ironic... I noticed he was complaining in this forum, much earlier in the tournament, about his opponent doing the same thing he is now doing by not taking his turns for 2 consecutive days.<br/>
alexlucca18... I hope that you see the error of your ways and start taking your turns... in the spirit of good sportsmanship.</t>
DMcCooey206

Post by DMcCooey206 »

CronusMaximus wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 am My opponent, User name: alexlucca18, is an opponent that has chosen to deliberately delay taking his last remaining turns... he has not taken his turns over the 1st two consecutive days of the last 6 days of round #5. Earlier in Tournament Round 5, he deliberately only took turns for battles where he was the Germans, where he had a clear advantage and deliberately did not take his turns as the Russian, where I as the Germans had the advantage. He did this twice and I called him out on a Private Message requesting that he stop this behavior... trying to handle this in private. From that point until the last 6 days of round 5 he did so. Now with 4 days left... he has 1 last turn as the Germans (where I am now doing better) and I have 3 turns left on the battle where I am the Germans and doing quite well.<br/>
<br/>
I am sending this message to all future opponents of this guy as a warning... and also to the Tournament Administrators in hopes that they will take appropriate actions as to whether people like this ought to be given the leeway of continuing within this tournament and only get some pre-designated point penalty for this unacceptable behavior. I invite the Tournament Administrators to look at my private message I sent him and the game turn data of our battles to confirm what I am saying. looking at some of the recent comments in this forum, it appears that I am not alone. <br/>
<br/>
What is ironic... I noticed he was complaining in this forum, much earlier in the tournament, about his opponent doing the same thing he is now doing by not taking his turns for 2 consecutive days.<br/>
alexlucca18... I hope that you see the error of your ways and start taking your turns... in the spirit of good sportsmanship.</t>
Such a player needs to be banned from playing, striped naked and forced to walk the walk of Shame through the Town Square. What a Low Life
DMcCooey206

Post by DMcCooey206 »

So in current game my opponent is winning in both games, but oddly he stopped playing? That seems a first. So is a shame he would have gotten a decent score if we managed to finish.
Matze65

Post by Matze65 »

Hi,
so slowly this is no longer fun.
The first 3 rounds points lost because you have not played to the last round and this was not properly communicated in the rules.
Now again lost points because I can not upload the game after winning. Server error ?!
Really sucks. Sorry.

Why does it say victory in round 5?
The victory was in round 14!!!!
Therefore also the error " The challenge already finished".

PS: Thanks to Pink1y for the beautiful game!
capture_008_23012022_132300.jpg
capture_008_23012022_132300.jpg (822.04 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
capture_009_23012022_132302.jpg
capture_009_23012022_132302.jpg (831.78 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
capture_002_23012022_132145.jpg
capture_002_23012022_132145.jpg (365.05 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
tkrysiak
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tkrysiak »

Matze65 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:00 pm Hi,
so slowly this is no longer fun.
The first 3 rounds points lost because you have not played to the last round and this was not properly communicated in the rules.
Now again lost points because I can not upload the game after winning. Server error ?!
Really sucks. Sorry.

Why does it say victory in round 5?
The victory was in round 14!!!!
Therefore also the error " The challenge already finished".

PS: Thanks to Pink1y for the beautiful game!
capture_008_23012022_132300.jpgcapture_009_23012022_132302.jpgcapture_002_23012022_132145.jpg
A LOT of us are having the issue with lost points due to that bug - so far no official response to it. Sorry this happened to you but I do agree - the tournament is becoming not much fun for a lot of people. I am very vocal about my complaints about bugs and opponents who do not continue their games. That said, I have checked the ladder and I see a lot of people in even more grim situation, some with something like 3-4 unplayed games and current one barely started. Besides bans and manual point assignment there isn't much the organizers can do about players not being fair but let's hope they at least sort out the bugs...
Matze65

Post by Matze65 »

Hi tkrysiak

Yes, you're probably right. Non-playing players is certainly even worse.
It's just the way it is. Let's look forward to the next round and hope that the opponent will play.
At the end of the day, it's just a game anyway, and joy and sorrow (or frustration) are close together.
Finally, a thank you to the organisers of this tournament. Next time it will certainly be even better, because enough suggestions have been made here, because as we all know, hope dies last!

Return to “Panzer Corps 2: Multiplayer & Tournaments”