Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

brianjones17
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Post by brianjones17 »

songseeker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:01 pm Its really frustrating when you make a long, and what you believe to be a useful post, and then when you press the submit button you get a screen saying Slitherine could not process the response at this time. It almost made me give up, but I have persevered with this competition so far so I will remake the post.

I also do not know how to make a reply with the content of a previous post hi-lited so it puts the rest of the message into context. So, I will have to rely on quotes of what StuG_Tutor posted above:

"One suggestion has to do with the "chess clock" analogy. If a tournament round is 21 days, each player has 10.5 days of time. I'm fairly certain it has been my opponents turn for more than 10.5 days. In chess he would have lost the match by now and it wouldn't be an unreasonable system to give me victory hex points times turns remaining for all victory hexes on the board--I'm still coming up short on points since I am deprived the opportunity of destroying his units and getting points = slots destroyed...but I guess I'll live."

I really like the 10.5 days time limit. One drawback that occurred to me from using the method I outlined above was the possibility a sneaky and bad player could stop playing when he realised he would lose, but return to play his latest turns just before the round finished. Thus making it appear as though he was the active player and getting all the points. I am cynical enough to believe there are people out there like that, although maybe few in number. The 10.5 day time limit would get round that. More importantly, it would be easy to programme such that the down time for each player was counted and the end of game triggered when one reached 10.5 days. The scores could then be calculated giving all victory hexes to the active player at the time 10.5 days was reached. The inactive player would get only the points that he had earned by playing. The automated nature of this is very important, as I doubt Slitherine have either the inclination or the resources to do any manual stuff at round end. In programming terms there would have to be a little extra coding to deal with round 1 failures to play, but not much.

Of course, in extreme cases this would produce an extreme and unacceptable result in points scored for the winning player. For example, in Round 2, in the most extreme, case, with a player not starting at all, the other player would be deemed to have won on turn 1 and score 10x25x15 points, for a total of 3750 points. This is obviously too much. But, it could easily be sorted by putting a cap on points earned this way. Perhaps an arbitrary number such as 2000, or perhaps by averaging the top 10 scores from the games which did go the full distance. This would again be easy to automate with no human intervention at round end. What such a cap should be might inspire an interesting debate in its own right.

One other point that StuG_Tutor made:

"The scoring alchemy gave me a score of 1584. Fine--I made a mistake or two maybe I should get a middle of the pack score. Then I got curious about what a match might look like if the participants FINISHED and got a score like I received. Songseeker's first round popped up as a finished game with a score like the one I was assigned--he and his opponent looked pretty well matched getting comparable results as they took their turns as Germany and Poland. The Point Assignment System for Unfinished Games (PASUG) gave me a score as though I was playing a roughly equal performing opponent and that wasn't even close to being the case. 2000 points for a "noshow" opponent or whatever prorating formula Slitherine is using for partially completed games is flawed and inadequate."

An interesting analysis, but I think you are short changing yourself. I do believe that my opponent and I in Round 1 were evenly matched. But, I certainly did not know that the last victory hex should not be taken until the end of the game, and I do not think my opponent did either, as we both finished ahead. Although I cannot remember how many turns ahead. I also did not know that the initial composition and starting points of your forces could be changed during deployment. For round 2 I did know this, and it makes a HUGE difference.
Hi you make some good points and hopefully there are something changes before the next round to save this tournament of this great game we all love. I was your opponent in the first round and i think it was turn 12 or 13 when we finished and i was unaware that we should have gone to turn 15. I would like to thank you for your good communication it made game play much more enjoyable. I would like to point out a costly mistake I made in the second round German deployment I disbanded a weak Italian tank thinking i could use the $$$ to upgrade another unit but to my shock !!! tank gone and no $$ credit . So maybe more info from slitherine on deployment procedure would be good so you would have known about repositioning units and my tank loss could have been avoided. Deployment is so important and a fun part of the game so more details on this from slitherine would be good. Good luck all for the rest of the tournament cheers
BRIANJONES17
dagdamor72
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Post by dagdamor72 »

What a horrible scoring system in Round 2.

I won the battle as english player in Round 5 und defend as german player until Round 14.
Summary my enemy got 1480 Points and i only 1275 Points.

Sorry, i am out.
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DarkBlueInk »

dagdamor72 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:26 am What a horrible scoring system in Round 2.

I won the battle as english player in Round 5 und defend as german player until Round 14.

Sorry, i am out.
Reading is a valuable skill so stay in school kids. The problem, and rounds 1 & 2 solution, has been well publicized for almost 2 months. If you came here to complain now but didn't bother to look earlier for gameplay advice, then do you have anyone but yourself to blame? If you quit now then you guarantee yourself a bad experience for 2 rounds and miss out on what should be better scoring mechanics in rounds 3-12. And you will forever be known as a quitter. Why be that guy?
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: who can explain the scoring system

Post by DarkBlueInk »

markwatson360 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:25 pm
DarkBlueInk wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:48 am
Matula22 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:35 pm Hi there,

who can explain the scoring system to me. I captured all victory points in round 7 and only got 333 points. Why ?
What goals do I have to pursue in order to get more points?
Thank you for your answers
Scoring calculation is simple: 25 points at the beginning of each turn for every victory hex you hold, plus 1 point per core slot of enemy units eliminated. The problem is that once you capture all victory hexes, the game ends and you do not receive any points for the remaining rounds. This is a flaw that Slitherine has acknowledged, and is now well documented throughout the forums.
Slitherine has said a fix will be ready prior to round 3. They have not, however, said if the fix will be retroactive.

Anyway, you only received 333 points because you captured all victory hexes before that last turn. To maximize your score, you should have (1) captured only 4 victory hexes as quickly as possible -perhaps the 7th round-, (2) held off capturing the last victory hex until the very last turn, and (3) eliminated all enemy units because you get the value of their slots. By capping in the 7th round, you missed out on 125 points per turn. And if you let any enemy units survive, then you again left points on the board.
I was thinking about this, does this mean there is never any point in capturing the last victory objective? because if you wait till the last turn to do so you were not in possession of it at the start of turn 15 so won't get the 25 points. Also if you capture it on the turn before (turn 14) the game will end and you'll lose the 100 pts you'd have got for the other objectives in turn 15. This all seems daft to me.
If you don't take the final victory hex in the last turn then you leave it in your opponent's possession, and they will get the 25 points. That may not be important for most matches, but it probably matters for some.
Catacol
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Catacol »

DarkBlueInk wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:18 am
dagdamor72 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:26 am What a horrible scoring system in Round 2.

Sorry, i am out.
Reading is a valuable skill so stay in school kids. The problem, and rounds 1 & 2 solution, has been well publicized for almost 2 months. If you came here to complain now but didn't bother to look earlier for gameplay advice, then do you have anyone but yourself to blame? If you quit now then you guarantee yourself a bad experience for 2 rounds and miss out on what should be better scoring mechanics in rounds 3-12. And you will forever be known as a quitter. Why be that guy?
You are right in what you say - but it is tough on those who don't get to the forums to check on these things. I have also made a mess of round 2 because I captured the final objective as allies on turn 6 without thinking....and the only reason I'm now banking a few more points is that my germans have wiped the allies out completely on turn 10 and so I'll bag a few more rounds of points on that side. Slitherine need to try and make the points fix retrospective given they have called the tournament a World Championship and didn't direct people to read the forums carefully in terms of this bug. It makes a mockery of a World Championship that manipulation of the scoring system by a few players has created a complete imbalance in the scoring table. Easiest thing ever to create a quick algorithm that adds points to any player winning early. Very surprising it wasn't done in the first place.
Catacol
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Catacol »

SiberianStorm wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 pm A question for moderators/Slitherine/experienced players

Is there anything that can be done to prevent “forced battle/full turn replays”?
Something like server side game caches for MP battles and tournaments would remove this but will likely become yet another feature request for developers in the already long list

This issue has been mentioned before on the forum, and up to my knowledge has not been answered.
Situation I am discussing here is when game or game engine crash results in opportunity to replay the single unit battle (rerolls of unlucky outcomes/correction of mistakes) or even full game turns.

This explains some of the weird behavior I witnessed in my multiplayer games.
-players disconnecting from their turn multiple times
-turn video replays that start with sequence of attacks on key defence points across the board, that all unsurprisingly result in above average luck
-surpressed 7 strong artillery killing 2 and surpressing 5 entrenched pioneers

I record my games and can provide more examples if this helps anyone

I have to say this has nothing to do with my current battle/opponent but I am confident this happens in the tournament as well.

There are two solutions I can think of:
-insist that you coordinate playing time and play live (difficult to manage and implement)
-join the opponent’s turn and remain logged in so that the game state is saved on your side of the table, and when the game “crashes” and opponent logs back in again, the turn resumes as normal.

I can’t imagine myself continously monitoring if the opponent started the turn and logging in to keep the cache/game state intact.
Aside from costing a lot of precious time it removes all of the fun and thrill of playing the MP games.

This issue is bigger threat to corect scoring than most of the other things discussed.

Is there an easy existing solution to prevent this?
I'm not sure there is an easy technical solution to this because connections do sometimes drop and the game does occasionally crash when ending a turn, and it needs to be able to be replayed. I too am irritated when I see things like a plane fly straight to a unit that is hidden from view and bomb it - only one way this can happen - but we are stuck with accepting pbem dishonesty. The easy solution is to find an opponent who you know doesn't cheat and play with them. In terms of the WC trust to luck that your opponent is honest. And the better player will usually win anyway - I had the bombing thing happen in round 1 but I still won both ways around :-)
Pirkc

Post by Pirkc »

I just took the last VP involuntarily. Stupid me. I am sorry lest but I won´t be able to play the rest of my turns, it is too disgusting. :-D

Is there a way to opt out of this?
a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

Here is another major concern, even when you know about the scoring problem you can still have issues.

What if your opponent surrenders early? They know there is no hope? And honestly who wants to just press end turn button over and over?

What if your opponent plays slow and as a result a default surrender occurs? Or a real-life issue prevents you from finishing this round?

These Problems could be addressed with a simple W/L system. Or some complicated coding to fix the current system...
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DarkBlueInk »

a432 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:37 pm Here is another major concern, even when you know about the scoring problem you can still have issues.

What if your opponent surrenders early? They know there is no hope? And honestly who wants to just press end turn button over and over?

What if your opponent plays slow and as a result a default surrender occurs? Or a real-life issue prevents you from finishing this round?

These Problems could be addressed with a simple W/L system. Or some complicated coding to fix the current system...
The problem with a simple win/loss system is that you will not play against everyone. Would anyone be upset if I faced 12 no-shows, while you played against several of the most skilled players? How is that any more fair that the existing broken points system? There would likely be several who are 24-0, 23-1 or 22-2, so how would you crown a World Champion?

Let Slitherine fix the currently scoring problem. Hopefully they also provide a fix/solution for rounds 1 & 2 and we can all go back to playing the tournament instead of the constant complaining.
Haze0008
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Haze0008 »

DarkBlueInk wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:22 am
a432 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:37 pm Here is another major concern, even when you know about the scoring problem you can still have issues.

The problem with a simple win/loss system is that you will not play against everyone. Would anyone be upset if I faced 12 no-shows, while you played against several of the most skilled players? How is that any more fair that the existing broken points system? There would likely be several who are 24-0, 23-1 or 22-2, so how would you crown a World Champion?

Let Slitherine fix the currently scoring problem. Hopefully they also provide a fix/solution for rounds 1 & 2 and we can all go back to playing the tournament instead of the constant complaining.
A “simple W/L system” has worked for 100 years in the chess world for a reason..it works. No system will be perfect. Watching the Slitherine ‘think tank’ stumble around this issue and waste our time is very painful and certainly does not motivate players or further the product’s interest. Go figure……
Haze0008
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Haze0008 »

Haze0008 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:29 pm

A “simple W/L system” has worked for 100+ years in the chess world for a reason..it works. No system will be perfect. Watching the Slitherine ‘think tank’ stumble around this issue and waste our time is very painful and certainly does not motivate players or further the product’s interest. Go figure……
Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion

Post by Lifever »

Haze0008 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:29 pm A “simple W/L system” has worked for 100 years in the chess world for a reason..it works. No system will be perfect. Watching the Slitherine ‘think tank’ stumble around this issue and waste our time is very painful and certainly does not motivate players or further the product’s interest. Go figure……
Another voice of reason

Also every system needs a little attention by authority. This can not be worked around with an algorithm & a scoring system. Systems will always fail without personal supervision.

---

DarkBlueInk - you used the faulty scoring system to great effect.

Well played. There is little choice.

Now you talk down the importance of a FAIR CHANCE for anybody to win and potentially a RESTART of the scoring to do any claim to a Champion title COMPETITIVE JUSTICE?

There would have been a lot of better choices.

Does this have anything to do with you making #3 under these rules?

Now THEY are supposed to "stop complaining" bc you are amongst the 5-10% of players who avoided the minefield of ... winning the game by taking victory hexes asap

Sounds like little regard for fun & growth of fellow participants - basically the significance of the entire ordeal.

Somebody kick him off that podium .. who has rounds left?
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DarkBlueInk »

Lifever wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:00 pm
Haze0008 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:29 pm A “simple W/L system” has worked for 100 years in the chess world for a reason..it works. No system will be perfect. Watching the Slitherine ‘think tank’ stumble around this issue and waste our time is very painful and certainly does not motivate players or further the product’s interest. Go figure……
Another voice of reason

Also every system needs a little attention by authority. This can not be worked around with an algorithm & a scoring system. Systems will always fail without personal supervision.

---

DarkBlueInk - you used the faulty scoring system to great effect.

Well played. There is little choice.

Now you talk down the importance of a FAIR CHANCE for anybody to win and potentially a RESTART of the scoring to do any claim to a Champion title COMPETITIVE JUSTICE?

There would have been a lot of better choices.

Does this have anything to do with you making #3 under these rules?

Now THEY are supposed to "stop complaining" bc you are amongst the 5-10% of players who avoided the minefield of ... winning the game by taking victory hexes asap

Sounds like little regard for fun & growth of fellow participants - basically the significance of the entire ordeal.

Somebody kick him off that podium .. who has rounds left?

I used the faulty scoring system to great effect because I read the forums. By using that one special skill, I knew about the issue before the tournament started. I had hoped that Slitherine would fix it before that start, but we all found out in the first week that it was not fixed.

I'm not sure how you interpreted my comments as talking down the importance of a fair chance. Again, reading being an important skill, I said a simple win-loss system cannot determine a "World Champion" when you only play against 12 people out of 300+ participants. I said that just because someone was given 2000 points for not playing a round (granted, not by their choice) does not mean they cannot win. The current top ranked players, myself included, could only be there because we faced less skilled or unlucky players AND we knew about the scoring flaw (there is that reading skill again). That in no way means that I am a top player.

Keep an eye on kleko11 and bubu13 (or any of your top 5-10% of players) - there is no chance they finish first and second after the next round. It is not possible for both to score maximum points so someone will fall in the rankings and someone else will move up. If you are a strong player you will have opportunities to move up.

I said stop complaining because Slitherine has said they are fixing the problem before round 3. If you simply read (OMG that skill again!) that line, or the actual post from Pat, then there is no reason to post complaints about the scoring system - let them fix it. If the fix is not retroactive, then scream and complain and rage quit if you need to.

Maybe the one who should be kicked off the podium already has a World Champion badge here in the forums. Did you only defeat 12 out of 300 to claim your title?
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DarkBlueInk »

A “simple W/L system” has worked for 100 years in the chess world for a reason..it works. No system will be perfect. Watching the Slitherine ‘think tank’ stumble around this issue and waste our time is very painful and certainly does not motivate players or further the product’s interest. Go figure……
I'm curious why your preferred system is what should be used? How do you plan to handle a potentially large number of tied records at the end of the tournament? How do you crown a champion?

According to Wikipedia (and yes I know it is not always a solid source), your chess tournaments are played as single elimination, round robin, or Swiss-system tournaments. Swiss-system is used when there are too many people for a round robin tournament. Slitherine is using a Swiss-system format just as large chess tournaments use. Congratulations, you've given a great example of what format a large tournament organizer like Slitherine should use.
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

DarkBlueInk wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:14 am
I used the faulty scoring system to great effect because I read the forums. By using that one special skill, ... [...]

Did you only defeat 12 out of 300 to claim your title?
How many are you going to beat in 12 rounds with 1 opponent each round?
You seem to be a little weasel with the intel – go get it

DarkBlueInk wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:14 am [...] so someone will fall in the rankings and someone else will move up. If you are a strong player you will have opportunities to move up.
We agree on top players scoring a little lower from now on and others scoring a little higher.
But not to that extent. They will never make up 1000+ pts. You know that

DarkBlueInk wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:14 am Maybe the one who should be kicked off the podium already has a World Champion badge here in the forums.
That would be great & a whole new experience
Only one thing is for sure – that somebody will not be a guy proud of being able to read
Dimonikus
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Dimonikus »

Some feedback from an active participant in all tournaments and many multiplayer matches:

"This tournament is broken. Incomprehensible illogical scoring mathematics and lack of any pre-qualification for people to confirm the desire to play.

I never got a single turn from my opponent. It completely killed any desire to plan game and play. The broken system annoys me so I decided not to make turns in response and leave this circus

What's the point of carefully planning a game in order to get the maximum number of points in a broken system, if the opponent simply doesn't make moves and all efforts to prepare a good game are in vain?
What's the point of getting those 2000 points if it completely deprives you of the chance to win the tournament?

The sum of 2000 points is very strange in itself. You can win both games of the round by blitzkrieg and get less than 2000 points.

When there is a normal tournament with normal rules, I will participate. At the moment, winning any tournament depends almost entirely on luck and random."
Haze0008
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Haze0008 »

DarkBlueInk wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:37 am

I'm curious why your preferred system is what should be used? How do you plan to handle a potentially large number of tied records at the end of the tournament? How do you crown a champion?

According to Wikipedia (and yes I know it is not always a solid source), your chess tournaments are played as single elimination, round robin, or Swiss-system tournaments. Swiss-system is used when there are too many people for a round robin tournament. Slitherine is using a Swiss-system format just as large chess tournaments use. Congratulations, you've given a great example of what format a large tournament organizer like Slitherine should use.
A round robin is exactly what I am suggesting…a single elimination, round robin until a winner is identified. Considering the time already planned for this tournament and the number of ‘no shows’, it is possible.
Haze0008
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Haze0008 »

Haze0008 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:18 pm

A round robin is exactly what I am suggesting…a single elimination, round robin until a winner is identified. Considering the time already planned for this tournament and the number of ‘no shows’, it is possible. We are now entering the third round. In an RR we would be down to less than 100 players, less than 50 by round 3 end, and so on. I do not understand why you predict ‘tied records’. The games are resolved until we have a winner.
SteelTiger007
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by SteelTiger007 »

to whom it may concern,
this tournament SUCKS DONKEY DICK!!! I am leaving undefeated and have given 2000 points to Panzergott please remove my name from the ladder as I will no longer participate

SteelTiger
a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

Haze0008 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:37 pm
Haze0008 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:18 pm

A round robin is exactly what I am suggesting…a single elimination, round robin until a winner is identified. Considering the time already planned for this tournament and the number of ‘no shows’, it is possible. We are now entering the third round. In an RR we would be down to less than 100 players, less than 50 by round 3 end, and so on. I do not understand why you predict ‘tied records’. The games are resolved until we have a winner.
You are exactly right Haze. There are plenty of ways to implement a simple W/L system that does not result in ties, even with 300+ people and only 12 rounds! Crazy I know! The simple minded like DarkBlueInk who can read but cannot use logic could not fathom it! I'm sorry we are stuck talking about it.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2: Multiplayer & Tournaments”