Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Post by DarkBlueInk »

A simple W/L system is not the same as a round robin system. In a simple W/L tournament, it's entirely likely that out of 300+ players, at least 2 would go undefeated and be tied at the end of the tournament. It is slightly more likely that at least 2 would finish with 1 loss or maybe 2 losses. A simple W/L or round robin tournament has to have an elimination process.

But going back to Slitherine's original announcement, their goal was to involve as many players as possible for the entire tournament and that everyone could play all 12 rounds. An elimination process does not align with that goal. The Swiss-system inherently factors in margin of wins and after the first round always matches players based on point totals. In theory, over time, you are matched against players with similar skill levels. It naturally separates the field and virtually guarantees no tie at the end.

I'm not defending Slitherine. They screwed up the start; and I have posted about that as well. They have announced it will be fixed, and we should get that fix in the next 6 days. I'm willing to give them the chance to fix it. There is no reason to kick and scream and rage quit yet as we do not know if they will rescore the first 2 rounds or not.

The top of the leader board has changed again today. If you look at the top 20, there are 5 players with a 2000 score in one of their first two games (meaning their opponent was a no show or a quitter) and there are 5 players with a score of less than 2000 in one of their first two games (meaning they faced a strong player or didn't know about the scoring flaw). 50% of the top 20 have already overcome this supposedly impossible situation.

Anyway, I am done explaining it. Good luck in the tournament. I hope you stick around to finish it.
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Panzer Corps 2 World Championship - Official thread (1st round starting on September 15)

Post by warrior230 »

A lot of interesting ideas an thoughts being discussed regarding the scoring system.
I don't know if it's been concidered before or not, but I was thinking....the fundimental problem seems to be that there is little incentive to finish playing through a game if it's going really badly, other than plain sportsmanship and good gaming manners, which obviously can't be relied on, and equally little incetive to try and do really well and win as quickly as possible.

If the points were applied at game conclusion, rather than progressively turn by turn, with the winner getting the equivelant max for the remaining turns as a bonus if the game finishes early, then both players would have to complete the game to score anything. If a player times out, they get nil points and they just don't get into the next round! If your opponent times out, you get the equivalent bonus for winning the game, or the 2k points for a no show. The actual scoring values could all be kept as they are at present.

In an ideal world, if everyone played through normally, win or loose, the current system would work fine, but it's not an ideal world is it?

Just my thoughts....
SiberianStorm
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by SiberianStorm »

Panzer Corps 2 - v1.02.01 Update
“Added new parameters and options for more advanced scoring in tournaments”

:D :!:
SiberianStorm

Post by SiberianStorm »

Did anyone catch a multiplayer update on any channel?
Next round is due on Wednesday and all we hear are crickets.
I find this lack of communication surreal and unprofessional.
I trust development changes were made for good.
Customer service and community relations are on the Militia level though…

Patience you must have, my young padawan.
Liverpoolpacket
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Liverpoolpacket »

Round 3 has started, but scores do not seem to be updating.
Liverpoolpacket

Post by Liverpoolpacket »

I stand corrected the scores are being updated.
Haze0008
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Haze0008 »

So…..what is the scoring rule for abandoned games?. Ie: my opponent made a couple moves then finished. Round 3. Don’t have the fortitude to scan all of the comments. Thanks in advance to whoever answers.
ElLobo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by ElLobo »

Haze0008 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:04 pm So…..what is the scoring rule for abandoned games?. Ie: my opponent made a couple moves then finished. Round 3. Don’t have the fortitude to scan all of the comments. Thanks in advance to whoever answers.
There was an update, but i rember for each round and victory hex 25 points , and for each unit you kill the slot points= points ...

Please correct me if i´m wrong!!!

Tournament Scoring Update

There have been two significant changes to how scoring works for this round, which you should be aware of:

1) In case of early victory the winner will get full points for all victory hexes for all remaining turns.
2) There are also separate points awarded for victory itself (500 points).

These changes have been introduced due to the feedback we received after the first two rounds.

We hope you'll like these changes to scoring. Please let us know if you have any questions
Haze0008
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Haze0008 »

Z
Last edited by Haze0008 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haze0008
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Haze0008 »

So, if my opponent ABANDONs the game after a couple moves, I am S#!T out of luck? Yet another nice scoring feature.
ElLobo

Post by ElLobo »

Haze0008 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:09 pm So, if my opponent ABANDONs the game after a couple moves, I am S#!T out of luck? Yet another nice scoring feature.
mmm i do ´t know exactly,....but is it possible to read it like: that in this case you won the round like you have finished it earlier?

probably someone of slitherine can tell us more???
ElLobo

Post by ElLobo »

ElLobo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:25 pm
Haze0008 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:09 pm So, if my opponent ABANDONs the game after a couple moves, I am S#!T out of luck? Yet another nice scoring feature.
mmm i do ´t know exactly,....but is it possible to read it like: that in this case you won the round like you have finished it earlier?

probably someone of slitherine can tell us more???
I´m not sure,.... i miss a page where they write exactly the rules for their pointing system,....
DukeBannon

Post by DukeBannon »

Hello. Round three has been underway for almost a week now and my opponent so far is a no-show. Is there a way to contact him/her to find out what his/her plans are? I leave town the day before Thanksgiving and I'll be gone for 1½ weeks so if we don't start very quickly we will not finish this round. How will this be scored?
ElLobo

Post by ElLobo »

DukeBannon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:36 pm Hello. Round three has been underway for almost a week now and my opponent so far is a no-show. Is there a way to contact him/her to find out what his/her plans are? I leave town the day before Thanksgiving and I'll be gone for 1½ weeks so if we don't start very quickly we will not finish this round. How will this be scored?
when he is a no-show,....for you with 2000points
Trepko
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trepko »

Not necessarily.
During round 2, my opponent only played 2 rounds if I remember well, and stopped playing after that. I don't know exactly how the calculations were made, but I was awarded with the most part of the points (and without asking anything).

Bobkg 8 T 121 T
Trepko 992 879

You can see on the scoreboard the letter "T" next to a score => it means that Slitherine considers that the player gave up (and that points are granted to the opponent). And you can see that there are "T" even in some games that have begun.
However, I don't know how Slitherine determines if a player gave up a game he began. Number of turns played ? Number of inactive days ?
markwatson360
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by markwatson360 »

ElLobo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:50 pm
DukeBannon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:36 pm Hello. Round three has been underway for almost a week now and my opponent so far is a no-show. Is there a way to contact him/her to find out what his/her plans are? I leave town the day before Thanksgiving and I'll be gone for 1½ weeks so if we don't start very quickly we will not finish this round. How will this be scored?
Yes but now you're supposed to get 500 pts for victory, so does that mean you get 3000pts? What we really need is a comprehensive and full explanation of how the scoring system works from the organisers, because at the moment it's a shambles. For instance what happens if you're opponent stops responding after about 7 or 8 turns and is timed out, how is scoring calculated then?
ElLobo

Post by ElLobo »

markwatson360 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:39 am
Yes but now you're supposed to get 500 pts for victory, so does that mean you get 3000pts? What we really need is a comprehensive and full explanation of how the scoring system works from the organisers, because at the moment it's a shambles. For instance what happens if you're opponent stops responding after about 7 or 8 turns and is timed out, how is scoring calculated then?
You´re right
For this i hope we get a these rules writen on black and white,...

neither i know....
brianjones17
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by brianjones17 »

ElLobo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:41 am
markwatson360 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:39 am

You´re right
For this i hope we get a these rules writen on black and white,...

neither i know....
Hello Mr Panzer general King Kurt are we playing this round so far nothing. We had a good MP game red star v iron cross a couple of weeks ago so I was looking forward to this game so ready when you are. i would prefer to play the game rather than 2000 points
BRIANJONES17
StuG_Tutor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by StuG_Tutor »

I haven't gotten to finish a game yet--6(?) turns in round 1, winning...hosed, 3 turns in round 2, winning decisively...hosed, 0.5 turns in game 3...I guess I'm actually hoping he won't show up--at least I'll get 2000 points. Even if he shows up and just manages to exist for two rounds I'll get less than 2000 pts.
"All models are wrong, but some are useful" --George E.P. Box
Trepko
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trepko »

Hello,

An idea to the devs to make the tournament a little more "alive" : could you publish some "fun" statistics about the tournament ?
Some examples:
- the fastest British victory in Al Alamein was achieved in turn XX by XXX
- XX% of Soviet players managed to hold at least 1 hex victory in Moscow battle

Return to “Panzer Corps 2: Multiplayer & Tournaments”