Games crashes intermittently when I take a city

PC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Near East.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Games crashes intermittently when I take a city

Post by massina_nz »

Hi, just recently purchased this game, via download

The game crashes 50% of the time when I capture a city. Thankfully the autosave feature helps, but it would be easier if it didn't crash at all. I'm running it on a NT pc if that has any impact. Otherwise the game runs fine, and is a cool bit of fun.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you're having problems but this is not a bug we've heard of before and this game has been out for a long time! You could try reinstalling to see if it helps. Other than that I can't really think of much that might help :(
massina_nz

Post by massina_nz »

iainmcneil wrote:Sorry you're having problems but this is not a bug we've heard of before and this game has been out for a long time! You could try reinstalling to see if it helps. Other than that I can't really think of much that might help :(
Thanks for the quick repsonse Ian. I'll install it on another pc and see if it makes a difference.
cou2707
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by cou2707 »

I am having the same problems, I have reinstalled the game several times and redownloaded the installer just incase but it still crashes. I'm not sure what else to do as it seems that despite th game being out for so long this bug seems relatively unknown and no one has a solution. I greatly enjoy playing this game but would like to be able to actually capture a city, but I just don't know whats wrong :?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

What system are you running the game on? Could it be an issue with permissions - perhaps there is some logging going on and the file isn't writable? I can't think what would cause this problem after so long of running without it.

Cheers

Pip
cou2707

Post by cou2707 »

Windows XP, on an Acer Aspire 5601 AWLMi, I looked at the error report which said that this file would be included- C:\DOCUME~1\Central\LOCALS~1\Temp\7cd6_appcompat.txt
I'm not sure if this helps.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you running as administrator? I would guess so though - most older games expect it.

I really can't think what can have changed to cause this specific issue :(.

Cheers

Pip
msorella79

Re: Games crashes intermittently when I take a city

Post by msorella79 »

Im having the same issue with a purchase made on feb 28th, 2012.. Just a quick comment, how about you guys remove this game from the shop or give a notice to ppl about not being able to run it on Vista or Win7 for example? i could do without wasting my money on games that dont run on modern windows versions thx..
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

The issue is not as simple as that. We sell many copies of the game daily, even though it is older, and have only seen these 2 or 3 issues reported. So it is likely a specific driver and OS combo causing the issue.

Finding the cause is something we are looking into, but I don't have a timeline for a fix unfortunately.

Cheers

Pip
msorella79

Post by msorella79 »

Ive seen some posts going back to 2010-2011 on this forum and on independent forums as well.. its seems to be an issue for many not just 2 or 3 but I thank you just the same for the reply. If since 2010 the problem wasnt found I wont hold my breath. Ill just deal with the fact that i can no longer play this game on my machines and consider it a loss..

Thx again
malthaussen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by malthaussen »

Same problem, crash upon taking a city. Very annoying. In most cases, the game crashes as soon as one city is captured and I try to mouse over it. Some civs crash after the second city capture. Please read the updates below, as I have been devoting a few hours of my time to checking this out.

System specs: Athlon 250 X2 processors; Legacy audio and video, Realtek HD audio; NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT driver; running under XP Home.

This is the download version of the game, just purchased today from Slitherine, so should be completely up-to-date.

UPDATE : Fatal bug. Okay, here's the deal. The last city I took crashed the game, but did not crash when I reloaded and attacked again. HOWEVER, when I loaded a save game with that city captured, as soon as I mouse over the city, the game crashes. It does not crash if I mouse over either of the two cities I owned previously, one of which was taken by conquest. If I enter one of those two cities, however, and try to use the arrow key to advance to the third city, the game crashes.
I loaded the game for the turn prior to the capture of the city and took it again. The game did not crash after the victory, but did as soon as I moused over the new city. This means, essentially, that my game is over after conquering two cities.
Very disappointing. I find it particularly odd that the first city capture proceded without a problem, but the second caused a fatal error. FWIW, I was playing Israel. I may check out a different starting position later to see what happens.
Probably doesn't matter, but the city in question is Gaza.

I will gladly send you the save so you can see what happens if you will supply an address to which I may send it. It's only a couple of mb.

UPDATE 2: Started another game with the Lower Egyptians. I was speculating that the number of cities owned might have some significance in the crash, so I wanted to use a civ that had many cities to start with. I cycled through all six starting cities without problem, and every element of the game worked fine until I took the first new city. As indicated above, the combat worked fine, but as soon as I tried to mouse over the captured city the game crashed.

UPDATE 3: Just for the grins and giggles, I downloaded the demo, which is still floating around the Internet, and had a very interesting result. I took six cities without a crash before shutting down the game. I also had started with six cities (playing as the Sherihumi), so I had a total of 12, and no crash. This is not exactly conclusive, but highly suggestive that whatever is causing the problem lies in the patch, and not in the user's system. To test this further, I started a game in the full game with the same civilization and crashed on my first city capture.
I've been enjoying the demo so much, I wonder if I can use the save when/if the full game is fixed.:)

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."

Return to “Chariots of War”