Big v Little

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

I big best?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 4

bertalucci
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Big v Little

Post by bertalucci » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:00 am

What's the perceived view of those who have played the rules so far?

Is big best or does the mobility of little BG's compensate for their lower CT threasholds etc.

Bert

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Big v Little

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:08 am

bertalucci wrote:What's the perceived view of those who have played the rules so far?

Is big best or does the mobility of little BG's compensate for their lower CT threasholds etc.

Bert
Not as relevant a question as in FOGAM. In FOGR most BGs are of fixed size. Some lists have a choice between normal pike & shot and later or early tercios, and a few can have 6 base mounted BGs, but otherwise it is mostly fairly standardized after the early part of the period.

We wanted to avoid minimaxing as much as possible, and concentrate on historical tactics.

bertalucci

Post by bertalucci » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:47 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
bertalucci wrote:What's the perceived view of those who have played the rules so far?

Bert
Not as relevant a question as in FOGAM. In FOGR most BGs are of fixed size. Some lists have a choice between normal pike & shot and later or early tercios, and a few can have 6 base mounted BGs, but otherwise it is mostly fairly standardized after the early part of the period.

We wanted to avoid minimaxing as much as possible, and concentrate on historical tactics.
Fair Do's - but that's not really what I was trying to gleen, I was looking for a concensus view on whether in practice the little BG's just get blown away or does their mobilty compensate sufficiently. I have read comments in battle reports that small BG's of dragoons just do not survive long enough to warrant choosing them unless forced by the lists and from my so far limited experience that is what has happened.

By the way the rules look brilliant - even my wife was interested and after 30 odd years that's a first.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:38 am

bertalucci wrote:I have read comments in battle reports that small BG's of dragoons just do not survive long enough to warrant choosing them unless forced by the lists and from my so far limited experience that is what has happened
After Britcon, the consensus was that BGs of 3 Dragoons were too vulnerable to CTs and that we would have been better bringing them in 4s.

Nothing that you can do about being "blown away" - everything is more vulnerable to that in FOGR - except take it into account in making your plans.

My worst experience in that regard was against the Mughals, who had 6 heavy/medium artillery.

Advancing into the teeth of those, I had an enormous "dead pile" before I reached them with my reserve line of BGs - who then captured them all and turned them (and the game) around.

bertalucci

Post by bertalucci » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Richard

Thanks for the response

Ouch - Mughal & other eastern exotics are on my list of must haves - its a long list

Bert

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:55 pm

Dragoons in 4s are a real pain to fight. They are like Armoured Shooty Cav in FoG:AM except you get no +2 when they shoot at you. Just make sure to dance out of the way before you get crunched.

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”