General Mounted Wing Strategy question

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:26 pm

So far I haven't had to worry about the cavaliers pursuing. :)

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:01 am

nickdives wrote:I think that the rules make if more difficult for Cavaliers to break off pursuit of routing troops.
Yes, they pursue till the enemy leave the table, or if they lose contact they can take a cmt to stop, but it would reflect some historical battles if they pursued off table till they managed a cmt, taking a general with them if attached.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:59 am

Scrumpy wrote:
nickdives wrote:I think that the rules make if more difficult for Cavaliers to break off pursuit of routing troops.
Yes, they pursue till the enemy leave the table, or if they lose contact they can take a cmt to stop, but it would reflect some historical battles if they pursued off table till they managed a cmt, taking a general with them if attached.
We considered this, but we wanted to avoid the issues that similar rules caused in previous rules.

In practice they can pursue well beyond the current positions of the battle lines, which can make a significant difference to whether they get back in time to affect the outcome of the battle - which is surely the point.

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:32 am

Richard

I agree with the approach. It does create the histoorical effect, especially in a 15mm 800 point game on a table 6'x4' with a time limit of 3 to 3.5 hours.

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:26 pm

timmy1 wrote:Richard

I agree with the approach. It does create the histoorical effect, especially in a 15mm 800 point game on a table 6'x4' with a time limit of 3 to 3.5 hours.
I like the fact that the deployment forces a historical deployment Infantry middle Cavalry on the flanks seemed to work for the Generals in trhe 30TYW, the third move is yops as well get in quick bash about a bit and then run away what more do you need from a game.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

True War Begun: Poodle Bites the Big One :)

Post by Blathergut » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:36 pm

>early cuirassiers (carbines) + commanded shot on one flank (with pike/shot BG beside it) proves deadly again.
>carbine-armed horse + commanded shot on the other flank proves deadly too

The poodler is finding it tricky to deal with the Parliamentarian carbine-armed horse for sure!!! Average BGs of those have proven more versatile than the superior BGs of determined horse in the NMA.

Although, superior horse (whether horse/cavalier/determined horse) has proven in every game to hang on to the last horse tail! You just can't break them!

Deadtorius is going to have to figure some way around/past the carbines.

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Alas the poodle is finding it difficult to deal with those bloody mounted shooters. since I can only fight with the first rank I end up with 1 unit beating on 3 enemy, I can inflict massive numbers of hits but spread out 5 hits on 3 units and you get 1,2&2, and I get 4 for example. Need to keep my cav superior just for the staying power... :shock:

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:17 am

The terrain has helped (large woods on both flank edges)!!

The carbine-armed army is narrow of frontage and its commander must by necessity narrow the battlefield accordingly!! :)

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:18 am

But we have still found in every game just about, the flanks take forever to collapse if they are held by superior horse!

bertalucci
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by bertalucci » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:57 am

Turks vs Safavid Persians

Turks 50/50 Infantry / Mounted less armour but Superior and Elite
Safavid (I know the list is not out yet) only three units of Infantry rest Mounted almost all Average.

Both sides deployed Infantry to the center with Safavid very heavy on right flank with 5 units of Cavalry.

Right flank eventually won by the Safavid's, mainly by weight of numbers but at the effective loss of its center to the Turkish Bombards.
Turkish infantry then intervened by swinging towards each flank and blew away 3 mounted units.
The left flank had 2 units of Turkoman LH facing similar Tukish LH although both sides had been fragmented at times both had recovered somewhat at the end.

Result - near enough a dead draw in the time available but with both armies close to breaking.

Honestly couldn't assess who would break first, final position had 4 units of weakened Safavid cavalry facing 3 fresh foot units including Jannisaries on its right flank, with a gallant charge the only option.

Lessons learned:
Safavid's - Yes it is hard to turn a flank - I need more and better infantry!
I also hope the Quality of the Cavalry is better in the official list.

Turks - Elite Sipahi in 2 elemment units were difficult but not impossible to beat - possibly should have deployed in a formation where their cavalry could skirmish away and then use the small unit mobilty to clatter in from flanks.

saltire
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Mounted with jet packs!

Post by saltire » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Like most we've been experimenting with the various options and one of the most exciting (for all you aggressive players out there!) was the Hungarians.

An all cavalry force with 4 TC's zooms around the board like you would not believe...............avoid the infantry and focus on the enemy horse with your superior numbers and superior types and that is usually enough to break most armies! Quickest 25-0 was under two hours game time.

Foot.....................pah who needs then give me the 15 and 18 MU boys any time. Put them down a few roads and that becomes 24 and 27 MU yeeha!!

And charging guns is great fun too :lol: :twisted:

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Sounds like your opponent better start checking army lists to see who has field fortifications, I am sure those would curb your massive rabble of mounted horrors. I am thinking I might need to make up some more cav some time soon, just so much pesky foot on the painting table that needs to get done first right now

bertalucci

Re: Mounted with jet packs!

Post by bertalucci » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:44 am

saltire wrote:Like most we've been experimenting with the various options and one of the most exciting (for all you aggressive players out there!) was the Hungarians.

An all cavalry force with 4 TC's zooms around the board like you would not believe...............avoid the infantry and focus on the enemy horse with your superior numbers and superior types and that is usually enough to break most armies! Quickest 25-0 was under two hours game time.

Foot.....................pah who needs then give me the 15 and 18 MU boys any time. Put them down a few roads and that becomes 24 and 27 MU yeeha!!

And charging guns is great fun too :lol: :twisted:
Hungarians vs Cossacks

Majority of mounted blown away by the massed arqubusiers - although did achieve a break through the left flank with masses of LH.
Nobles etc (Gendames) just shot to a standstill.
Foot not good enough to come out of their fortifications to play.

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”