Light foot - huah...

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Light foot - huah...

Post by ravenflight »

...what are they good for absolutely NOTHING say it again...

Actually - that was a question.

I can't see any point in Light Foot if you have Dragoons... but I've been wrong before.

Sure, they aren't QUITE the same thing, but they are close and dragoons get twice as many shooting dice as light foot for almost the same points. Why would you take them? I can see - in something like the Buccaneer list where your dragoon count is limited and it may give you flexibility - but for your average European army do they have a place?

Has anyone had any success with light food?
Three
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Light foot - huah...

Post by Three »

I've seen them used effectively - hang about at the back until everyone else is tied up, then take out unsupported enemy artillery. It also means you can't ignore them, might be less effective in the 17th Century, but well worth it in the 16th imo
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

Three wrote:I've seen them used effectively - hang about at the back until everyone else is tied up, then take out unsupported enemy artillery. It also means you can't ignore them, might be less effective in the 17th Century, but well worth it in the 16th imo
I suppose I do find Dragoons sometimes hard to use in the manner which I want to use them - to soften up enemy mounted 'on their way in'.

The fact that light infantry can interpenetrate anything means that you don't have to create an exit path (which you do for Dragoons). Whether they are worth 14 points vs 8 for frontage/shooting dice yet remains to be seen. They can ALSO hang out all day in front of a mounted unit shooting to their heart's content. There is no compulsory charges so the ONLY way the enemy is going to get rid of them is by charging them away which risks breaking up the line - exactly what I would like to happen with a line of Determined Horse ready to receive a line of Horse.
daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen »

Dragôons are generally better, but LF do have some advantages:
  • More resilient. Because they have more bases they can still function after one or two losses.

Not disordered in difficult going.

Can interpenetrate troops behind them. So useful as a screen.

With Bw or Cb they are cost effective and scary to mounted.

Can be Superior. Okay, even more expensive, but really irritating for your opponent.

Their weakness means I'm less likely to put them at risk. Hence they survive longer than Dragoons.
However, they are more expensive (per frontage), slower and less effective in impact than Dragoons.

On the whole I prefer Dragoons, but when I can't get them or enough of them I'm happy to take LF.

Dave
Last edited by daveallen on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

Another useful quality of LF is that you can shoot through them with Artillery and often the LF shooting added to the Artillery fire can have significant extra impact.
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

kevinj wrote:Another useful quality of LF is that you can shoot through them with Artillery and often the LF shooting added to the Artillery fire can have significant extra impact.
Yes, I thought that was the case, but didn't follow up witg a rules search (on the to do list) but I thought putting them in front of my mounted, artillery shooting through them (poor buggers) and (whilst expensive) it starts making my mounted wing look moderately dangerous!
daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen »

Plus, they are good at hiding in terrain - they can't be seen outside 4mu, except by troops they've shot at, when in Brush, Marsh, Vineyard, Soft Sand, Enclosed Fields or behind Obstacles.

I'm liking these little guys more and more as I discover how handy they are. Think I'll have a swarm of them in my next competition*.

Dave

* Southern League...
ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ethan »

kevinj wrote:Another useful quality of LF is that you can shoot through them with Artillery and often the LF shooting added to the Artillery fire can have significant extra impact.
This is there great value. You can skirmish the enemy center with them and still shoot your artillery. IMO LF are a must if you are going with an artillery heavy strategy.

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”