Keils - Official Discussion Thread

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Keils - Official Discussion Thread

Post by grahambriggs »

I think it would be good to make that explicit Nik.

The other thing with Keil that really needs clarification is the mixed troops issue. For example. An early Swiss Keil is up to 2 bases of heavy weapon the rest pike, all determined foot. Say there are 16 in all in a 3 wide, 5 and 6 deep column with the HW at the back. They charge in and in the movement phase 'pop out' a heavy weapon chap to give an overlap at ++

All very much as played and intended. But

They are all DF troop type. The formation rules allow BGS with different troop types to do this but not the same troop type. I think it should say different capabilities

The second issue is that they opped out only one of the HW bases. But the mixed BG rule says different troop types still need to be in a rectangle. So did I need to pop out two?
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

grahambriggs wrote:I think it would be good to make that explicit Nik.
I think you're right :)

The other thing with Keil that really needs clarification is the mixed troops issue. For example. An early Swiss Keil is up to 2 bases of heavy weapon the rest pike, all determined foot. Say there are 16 in all in a 3 wide, 5 and 6 deep column with the HW at the back. They charge in and in the movement phase 'pop out' a heavy weapon chap to give an overlap at ++

All very much as played and intended. But

They are all DF troop type. The formation rules allow BGS with different troop types to do this but not the same troop type. I think it should say different capabilities

The second issue is that they popped out only one of the HW bases. But the mixed BG rule says different troop types still need to be in a rectangle. So did I need to pop out two?
Think I see what you are getting at. So they may need a rule that effectively says that as long as they are feeding bases into a melee they can adopt an otherwise illegal formation?

Along with something that is categorical about the Swiss Kiel 4-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-4 formation?
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
Three
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Three »

Does a later Keil with shot wings count the disadvantages of being flank charged if the shot wing only is the part subject of the flank charge?

What if the shot wing is contacted and the charger steps forward and also contacts the pike section?
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Three

It is the keil. Shot wings are just a representation.
Three

Post by Three »

Thanks, so in essence it's a Tercio without the advantage of the extra shooting to the side.
timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

Sadly there is an additional very important difference. ET don't count flank/rear charges rather than just flank charges. The Keil with shot wings usually ends up charged from the rear and that's goodnight. ETs really are like fortresses.
Buzz0000

Post by Buzz0000 »

The OWS will be hosting a FOG-R "any army list with minimum 2 x Keils" competition on March 8th. This prompted a revisiting of the excellent original guidance from Graham Briggs (some years ago) for those not familiar with Keils. I will be happy to send a .pdf copy to anyone who would like this - please PM me or send email to david_s_burrows@hotmail.com Thanks
Buzz0000

Post by Buzz0000 »

Today was the OWS "Kiels" event - won by Don with his Swiss! Anyone want a copy of the Keils guidance, please met me know.

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”