Impassibility of captured artillery to mounted

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

urbanbunny1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Impassibility of captured artillery to mounted

Post by urbanbunny1 »

I would be happy for captured artillery to be considered uneven terrain or allow the capturing player to declare the artillery destroyed.

if you can shoot artillery to destroyed, why couldn't troops who close assault it to wreck it beyond repair?

Simon
daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen »

Can't recall if this has been suggested, but what if the AP for captured Artillery could only be regained by the original owner by taking control of it?

This might prevent the tit for tat capturing and recapturing of Artillery that nobody can actually use...

Dave
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

Interesting "what if" from this weekend in the Tim vs Tim game.

My Polish horse charged down Tims Spanish artillery park, which had units of his Horse behind it (yes, I know none of this is entirely out of the "tactical best practice manual", however bear with me...).

This meant I captured, but did not control the gunnes.

Firstly, they then became an impenetrable 1-foot-wide obstacle which my horse could not cross, totally blocking the gap in the terrain the gun line occupied

Secondly, if Tim had elected to recapture them with his horse, we believe that looking at the RAW he would have done so just by contacting the artillery and without fighting my horse, as horse can't "support" guns.

Thirdly, it was unclear if the mere presence of my own horse remaining in contact with the gunnes would have meant that I then automatically would recapture them in my turn, leading to them changing hands every turn as the two opposing lines of horse would both have been in contact...

...OR...

if the RAW description of artillery being captured by troops moving into contact would have meant that my (and then Tims) horse would have needed to first move out of contact, and then move back into contact again in order to fulfil the requirement to "move" into contact to capture gunnes...

All total b--locks really, and fortunately Tim found something better for his horse to do (deal with my flank march if you are interested) but....

comments folks?
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
donm2
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by donm2 »

madaxeman wrote:Image

Interesting "what if" from this weekend in the Tim vs Tim game.

My Polish horse charged down Tims Spanish artillery park, which had units of his Horse behind it (yes, I know none of this is entirely out of the "tactical best practice manual", however bear with me...).

This meant I captured, but did not control the gunnes.

Firstly, they then became an impenetrable 1-foot-wide obstacle which my horse could not cross, totally blocking the gap in the terrain the gun line occupied

Secondly, if Tim had elected to recapture them with his horse, we believe that looking at the RAW he would have done so just by contacting the artillery and without fighting my horse, as horse can't "support" guns.

Thirdly, it was unclear if the mere presence of my own horse remaining in contact with the gunnes would have meant that I then automatically would recapture them in my turn, leading to them changing hands every turn as the two opposing lines of horse would both have been in contact...

...OR...

if the RAW description of artillery being captured by troops moving into contact would have meant that my (and then Tims) horse would have needed to first move out of contact, and then move back into contact again in order to fulfil the requirement to "move" into contact to capture gunnes...

All total b--locks really, and fortunately Tim found something better for his horse to do (deal with my flank march if you are interested) but....

comments folks?

Loving the new marker Tim.

Can you let me know where you had them from?

Don
vexillia

Post by vexillia »

donm2 wrote:Loving the new marker Tim. Can you let me know where you had them from?
I'm sure Tim won't mind if I answer for him. They are from Vexillia - http://bit.ly/PZJWeE
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

vexillia wrote:
donm2 wrote:Loving the new marker Tim. Can you let me know where you had them from?
I'm sure Tim won't mind if I answer for him. They are from Vexillia - http://bit.ly/PZJWeE
I forgot mine.. They were borrowed from 'tother Tim!
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Tim is correct. Had I played it smarter, the RAW would have allowed me to swing the victory points by a net 6APs every 2 turns (would not have saved the game) by being very gamey. Does need sorting IMO.
timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

Don

I can completely recommend the Vexillia markers - I have about 7 different types from them and plan to get some more sometime soon - I use them all the time in FoGR (and FoGAM). With Tim borrowing mine we nearly ran out of disrupted markers...

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”