Which nations?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

o54881
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Which nations?

Post by o54881 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:49 am

I was looking at my Indian troops which started life as 1850 Anglo-Indian army using WRG 2nd and migrated into the earlier period.
Could I use it in FoGR and FoGN?

o54881

Post by o54881 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Which nations had the best cavalry?

George Gush had the Poles with their multiweapon role.

In history, the Danes and Finns were well respected as were French and German cavalry on occassions.
(The ECW Royalist were always at best poor.)

puster
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by puster » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:21 am

o54881 wrote:Which nations had the best cavalry?
The Polish Hussars have their fanboys, not without reason. But their usage was pretty limited when seen in the wide scope offered by the 1500-1700 battlefields.

On the other hand, it depends on the situation. As battlefield cavalry the Reiters with their handguns had their days, but became obsolete later.

If you factor in strategical movement (mainly for the east) or availability (noble cavalry, like the Poles), the equation changes.

Imho you need to specific area (Europe) and at least narrow down the timescope for that question.

BTW: Some armies where fully mounted, eg. the Crimean Tartars. In 1571 they managed to burn Moscow (including most inhabitants), but when they returned a year later they where outmaneuvered near Moscow and had to attack the wooden mobile fortifications of the Russian army near Molodi. The majority of their army of 60.000 perished (according to other sources well over 100.000).

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”