Battle of Five armies FOG

This is a forum for discussing the use of the Field of Glory gaming system to play fantasy battles. This is not an official product! yet ;)

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core

ElCanter
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Battle of Five armies FOG

Post by ElCanter »

Hi, I would ricreate the Battle of Five Armies, but I've few ideas to classificate battlegroups and how many use. Can you help me?
Rekila
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Battle of Five armies FOG

Post by Rekila »

We are also working on that! So I will post our lists soon. But I think that a classical approach is the best option: Heavy weapon dwarfs, bow elf and so on. In any case it has to be a big battle! If not five :( , it must have more than two armies /commanders. :wink:
davekhan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by davekhan »

Hi ElCanter
how I play my Orcs I class them as a warband army most of my orcs are unprotected undrilled impact foot swordsman in B.G of 8-12 .I do allow 20-30% of the army to be Protected undrilled superior impact swordsmen just to give them a helping hand .. oh I have 24 bases of spearOcrs and they are based as med foot spear ,this down grades them when they fight cav in the open which I think is right they don't like mounted troops to much esp. charging ones .. :)
I add a few mounted units whether trolls as (elephants or ) Ogres as scythed chariots ?

If I play with goblisn as well then I give them a Allied command and all there foot is Lt foot bow poor or mob light spear poor/av I don't like giving them too much poor stuff as they just don't hang around too much . I have the mob in 8 bases of mob and 4 bases of bow that way they are big units but can take a few death roll and still not break for a round or two.
as for wolfs and riders well I class them as light horse but I use the terrain penalties as lt foot so they don't get disrupted by terrain too much . then class them with there wpn e.g bow then I give them swordsmen (that's the wolf in melee turn ) .

I give the goblins 2-3 B.G of wolfs or wolf riders

I have just started on a Dwarf Allied command army so far I have 2 B.G of spear 6 bases armoured drilled and a B.G of drilled armoured , hvy wpns in 8 bases I think I will work on the lines of 3/2 ratio of Heavy weapons to spear ...I am not sure whether to have any mounted for them or not ! you can get them on rams and bears but not sure that would fit in with my army ?

hope this helps DK
ElCanter

Post by ElCanter »

Thnks, I'll wait your list. Well, in this moment I just begin little by little, I know it's (for me) an enormous project

I find a site ( the second image if you search "Battle of Five Armies" on google)

So I try to sketch out the number of armies

Dwarves of Dain: 500
2x4 HF Heavy weapon, Heavely armoured, Drilled, Superior 16 per base

Dwarves of Thorin: 13

Lakemen of Bard: 2000
1x4 MF
6x4 HF
2x6 LF

Forest Elves of the Elfking: 1500
6x4 MF

Eagles: ?

Beorn

Bolg's Guards: 500
2x4 HF

Goblins: 8000
15x8 MF and HF

Wolves and Wargs: 2000
2x6 CV
6x6 LH

EDIT: Thankyou Davekhan, I take note
samjohan

Post by samjohan »

Hi, I would ricreate the Battle of Five Armies, but I've few ideas to classificate battlegroups and how many use.
mbpopolano24
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mbpopolano24 »

Hi, The Battle of Five Armies is so cool
SallyCox
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by SallyCox »

The Battle is so cool
Dunadd
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Dunadd »

Rekila wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:51 pm We are also working on that! So I will post our lists soon. But I think that a classical approach is the best option: Heavy weapon dwarfs, bow elf and so on. In any case it has to be a big battle! If not five :( , it must have more than two armies /commanders. :wink:
Thranduil's wood elves had bowmen, spearmen and horsemen according to the description in The Hobbit (book). Though from the description of the battle, horsemen may have dismounted to fight and fought as spearmen. Dain's Iron hill dwarves included warriors with axes and mattocks but also some archers maybe, since (i think) archers are mentioned when the dwarves are close to fighting the elves and Lake-men over Smaug's treasure, before the arrival of the goblins.

Return to “Field of Glory : Swords & Sorcery : General Discussion”