Elves

This is a forum for discussing the use of the Field of Glory gaming system to play fantasy battles. This is not an official product! yet ;)

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core

davekhan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Elves

Post by davekhan »

This week we played with a few elf B.G 2 in fact to see how strong they are :)

We classed them as

heavy foot, superior, armoured longbow ,swordsmen

and that we allowed them to fire there bow in 3 ranks so a B.G of 9 base 3x3 will get 6 dice at close range !

they destroyed my orcs as they where hitting on 3+ AND rerolling 1's !!! :cry: but it work very well my orc spear B.G faired better :) (lucky dice )

we are happy to stick with this at the moment please tell me what you think / use ..

happy gaming DK
eldiablito
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Elves

Post by eldiablito »

Why the third rank for shooting? That seems new to me.
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

They should rip through just about anything in short order. If you think that reflects the sources then that's good, but they should be expensive. The points system in the rules will not necessarily cost them correctly, as there is also a set of Capability combinations that are not used in the historical lists. But the reason they're not used might be that "we don't want them to be inhumanly good" so you could be OK.

Just for reference, you won't see HF and bow in the historical lists. That's really to make the bows vs mounted charges mechanisms work. And I don't think you see foot as armoured, sword, bow either - mostly I think because that would make those troops too strong.
davekhan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by davekhan »

we classed the elves as heavy foot so when they fought my orcs (med foot they take a -1 on the cohesion test, and we think that they would stand against mounted/wolfs better that way as well !

Some people will say they are elves after all! don't think we could have a whole army as superior so letting the elf bowmen as hvy foot makes them better bowmen same for 3ranks firing it just gives them the edge over normal foot bow I think if a human unit of bow v elfs came to had then you would hear the elf player moaning that they are on the same factor ect,... and that aint right ?

3rd rank of bow is not allow to shoot in normal rules but it just adds a bit of flavour to the elfs NOT sure you need them in 3 ranks as you need as mush frontage as possible when fighting the orcs . and they can handle most orcs in the melee turn being armoured swordsmen so they are on a + if not ++ again my orcs 8( but orcs have the numbers 8)

As for being armour well my samurai army is all armoured so you can have them armoured but not swordsmen as well but like I said they are elves and most people think that they are better than humans ! my Mongols aint that lucky only best cav can be armoured and as for my 100 years war English they are protected swordmen BUT have stakes that make up for that 8)

I think we worked out that they would be around 15 pts per base ! which is very expensive as a standard orc is 6/7 pts so having them as a allied army is the way to go we think we play with just 3 B.G of elves 2 being bow and 1 as mounted ..
Not sure about them being superior as well ?? they are very hard when classed that way, and when my mate had the allied gen in there in combat it was devastating but hay the gen cant be any where else so that's his decision .
play testing again this Tuesday so will keep you up dated

if you have any ideals on how we can play/use elfs then I would like to know ..
happy gaming DK

Return to “Field of Glory : Swords & Sorcery : General Discussion”