AAR: Diplomaticus vs Morris--Morris welcome!

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: AAR: Diplomaticus vs Morris

Post by zechi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm

peterjfrigate wrote:It's a small point, but here's something I haven't seen anybody do yet:

Notice in the first shot of this AAR Morris has overrun Odessa and is at the gates of Kherson on the first turn. But this can be delayed by placing the 3 GARS in green before Barbarossa. A slight advantage, but it should buy the Russians a turn by keeping the spearhead in the vicinity of the Dniester.
I often use this setup, as it can slow the Axis down significantly in the south. From my point of view this should be a standard setup before Barbarossa, as it costs only 45 PP. Nevertheless, I fear the Morris forces are strong enough to push past Odessa even if the trick above is used.

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: AAR: Diplomaticus vs Morris (No Morris Pls)

Post by Diplomaticus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm

The story continues:

I missed screen shots in July, so we pick up 8/1/1941. Here's a look at what happened vs Army Group South:

Result? Very heavy losses on the Red Army side with very little slowing of the advanced and trivial losses for Axis. I dangerously stripped the defenses of Moscow to prevent him from driving easily as far as Uralsk, but achieved very little to show for the sacrifice. As a consequence:

Here we see that Moscow is in trouble. If you compare this to Richard's AAR, you'll see that his idea of creating extra-strong points of resistance in a couple of spots are far more effective than trying to hold a long line. As I wrote earlier, I hated the idea of having huge gaping holes in the line, but with the limited forces available, there's no other choice (unless we change the game parameters).

Now for the first time in this AAR I'm going to show what's been going on elsewhere. Here's a shot of the Mediterranean front:

Because of M's total neglect of North Africa, by August '41, Britain's in complete control of Libya, and I've just completed the conquest of Sardinia. With this as an airbase, I'm in a position to threaten various points, from southern France all the way to Tunis. I plan to test the assertion, made elsewhere on this forum, that M's defenses make it impossible to make any headway against Italy. With 2 carriers, a tac, and 2-3 fighters, + the entire 8th Army, I certainly have a formidable force here, even without the Americans. And due to sinking 2 of 3 Italian BB's in earlier action, I'm not too worried about the Regia Marina. My only concern is the subs, and I have pretty strong ASW assets available.

The other place where I've been chipping away at the Axis is in Norway:

M landed 1 Italian gar to reinforce before I blockaded Oslo's port, and he tried to land a German on the coast, but those 2 BB's took care of that. With the RN/RAF assets available, I'm not at all worried about the Kriegsmarine interfering (he made some moves in that direction, but I bombed his BB's in port, and he seemed to think discretion was the better part of valor).

I'm trying to be realistic about what all this is going to achieve, but let's face it--the UK just isn't up to fighting Axis toe-to-toe in 1941. Right now I'm hoping to do the following:
1) Draw off a few defenders that might have been useful in the East (a very minor issue, I admit)
2) Drain PP's and other resources. Norway in particular means that the PP's generated there are redirected straight to the Allies, instead of Axis, and each winter we can easily and safely interdict the 6PP/turn Swedish ore.
3) Set up positioning for (hopefully!) more decisive intervention by the Western Allies in 1942. By establishing strong bases just off his coasts, I can conduct strategic bombing and realistically threaten landings along a wide swath of the Continent.

Will this be enough to save Russia? In my current game, probably not, but if combined with more successful strategy on the Eastern Front, this might do the trick.

PionUrpo
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: AAR: Diplomaticus vs Morris

Post by PionUrpo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 pm

zechi wrote:
peterjfrigate wrote:It's a small point, but here's something I haven't seen anybody do yet:

Notice in the first shot of this AAR Morris has overrun Odessa and is at the gates of Kherson on the first turn. But this can be delayed by placing the 3 GARS in green before Barbarossa. A slight advantage, but it should buy the Russians a turn by keeping the spearhead in the vicinity of the Dniester.
I often use this setup, as it can slow the Axis down significantly in the south. From my point of view this should be a standard setup before Barbarossa, as it costs only 45 PP. Nevertheless, I fear the Morris forces are strong enough to push past Odessa even if the trick above is used.
Agreed, that is a good idea in almost any game and I use it myself, at least 1 garrison regardless the expected invasion.
Suomi, Finland, Perkele!

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm afraid that Morris is one of these players who do not care if they lose some provinces in the West as long as progress is good in the East.

Again, fighting retreat doesn't work for the Soviets in CEAW in 1941, unless it's a late Barbarossa. Simply put, the Germans eat the Soviet units for breakfast in 1941. If you lose too many units, you are toast.

It looks bad here. Unless I'm missing sth, Morris is pushing you back EVERYWHERE.

Aryaman
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Aryaman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:11 pm

IMO in a situation like that the Russians should save units at the cost of territory and make a stand only in favorable terrain, the forests of the North, especially around Moscow, and the mountains of the Caucasus. Meanwhile the Allies should bypass Sicily and look directly for France in 42, meanwhile building a powerful strategic airforce to bombard Germany and reduce German rail mobility.

jjdenver
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by jjdenver » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Your thoughts about invading France in 42 are interesting Aryaman, but I think (I could be remembering wrong) that this just occurred in another recent AAR and Morris crushed it.

As for Russia we discussed in the "save the bear" thread at length about SU defense and I think most agreed that falling back instead of fighting as SU in 41 is the only way to go because SU can't cause GE casualties vs a good German player in 41 or even 42 for that matter under current game rules/configuration. I think this is silly but it's the state of the game. Although I think some player(s) mentioned they think a strongpoint defense can slow the Germans without taking too many SU casualties to cause them to crumble in 42 - I haven't seen it in an AAR though.

East Front is a little silly currently with huge German blobs pushing far past even 42 logistical tethers in 1941 and strong Soviet forces unable to cause anything even approaching historical losses to GE. But thanks for trying the defend everything Diplomaticus - nice to see it played out...Morris is good but the game is stacked against you as SU currently, or at least it seems that way from reading the various AAR's. You can't bleed the Germans in 41/42 from what I've seen..although Supermax feels he can time a counterattack just right at winter of 41 or 42 to hurt the Germans - but I'd like to see it tried vs Morris' blob. Just run away far and fast seems like the default strategy now.

It would be interesting to see some sort of "defend the motherland" event that increases SU effectiveness in maybe August after GE declares war. Or a "logistical tether reached" or "OKH operational pause" event that reduces GE effectiveness in August after GE declares war. Something to simulate the exhaustion faced by the Germans after their rapid advances or the stiffened Soviet resistance as the summer wore into fall.

Diplomaticus - your "nibble away in 41" CW strategy is an interesting one and the one I'd be inclined to try so I'm keen to see it play out. Thanks for the AAR.
Last edited by jjdenver on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Aryaman wrote:IMO in a situation like that the Russians should save units at the cost of territory and make a stand only in favorable terrain, the forests of the North, especially around Moscow, and the mountains of the Caucasus. Meanwhile the Allies should bypass Sicily and look directly for France in 42, meanwhile building a powerful strategic airforce to bombard Germany and reduce German rail mobility.
Right.

In my strategy, I was deliberately trying to do something different from Richard, as we all had results of his strategy. I wanted to see if I could hold a longer line. The answer was a resounding 'NO'. By trying to hold too much, I ended up being able to hold nothing. Bad all the way around.

I completely agree that vs. the Morris Barbarossa gambit, what you (and Max) say is right: Don't even try to defend unless you are pretty far East and have excellent defensive terrain. Save the army, even at the cost of losing all those cities. Moscow is defensible in 1941, but Stalingrad is out of the question (especially with an April start and clear in October, as in this AAR).

I don't think you can hold Maikop in '41 against M's strategy, but holding Grozny is definitely feasible, especially with the better anti-tank weapons since the patch.

The one ray of light is that the UK is very strong, with almost all convoys in and only token resistance in the Med. That means the possibility of some quite effective strikes by the Western Allies in 1942--but M will be expecting that, and w. a weak Russia he can afford to transfer a lot of strength west.

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I apologize for not posting more, but my own RL has made it very difficult to keep up.

It will come as no surprise at all to anyone following this AAR that the USSR has faced catastrophic losses during Barbarossa. Here is a shot from the beginning of the Allied turn 11-9-1941:

Here you see that Moscow was completely overwhelmed, but the price M paid was bypassing Leningrad. In fact, his strategy has included completely ignoring 0-production cities like Gomel, etc., so there are 2-3 Russian gar sitting on those cities far, far behind enemy lines. Weird. It does mean, however, that if I get lucky with some partisan-generation, I can have rogue units in '3' supply mucking about behind his lines.

You can see from the above mini-map that the Red Army has been forced to fall way back east of Moscow and Stalingrad. Obviously, I must duplicate Joe Rock's success in defending Omsk or it's curtains for the Allies.

In this next shot, you see more of what the Western Allies have been up to:

In this screen shot the 2 CV's had just finished off the last of the Italian surface fleet. We have also sunk one of their subs, so RN control of the Med is now nearly absolute. By land, the Brits control all of Libya and Sardinia.

As usual, M has done the Sicily blob thing, so the question remains, How should the Allies best try to take advantage of this situation and give the Red Army a break? A number of possibilities come to mind, but any major operation will, alas, have to wait for the arrival of the Yanks, as the British ground troops are not ready to face the Axis on the Continent.

My MTO strategy for the short term is to upgrade and position my forces so that I can threaten targets from Greece to Provençe, from Sicily to Algieria. I want to have a flexible, battle-ready weapon at hand so I can strike as soon as I get some American reinforcements.

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Fri May 11, 2012 11:14 am

Hey, guys, after a very long hiatus, I'm posting an update on our ongoing game.

First, an explanation: Right around the time that my armies were getting truly overwhelmed by Morris's attacks, I was also getting truly overwhelmed by RL. The several CEAW opponents who have been very patient with me for the past couple of months have sometimes had to wait and wait for my turns. I thought that this AAR had already served its purpose anyway, so with time short I didn't see much point in adding to an AAR that was based on now obsolete data (we began it in RC11).

Then something happened in the last move, and M asked me to please post the latest results for general discussion. Here they are:

1) It's now November 1942, and the Russians are at death's door. After the complete collapse of my attempted defense line in 1941, leading to the loss of both Stalingrad and Moscow, the Russians were in desperate straits. In the summer of 1942, I attempted to form a defense of the rough terrain near Omsk along the lines of what Joe Rock did, but the Axis got fair weather all through October *and even November* 1942, which led to this awful picture:

2) But on the bright side, the Allies have a quite strong landing in southern France (no Overlord yet), and here comes the big thing--look carefully at this screen shot:

The Western Allies hold Sardinia, Tunis, Tripoli, and are about to land in Tirana (Albania). Our partisan friends had taken Trieste a couple turns previously. Voila! Italy surrenders.

In an email, Morris wrote: "Tirana again ! If you read the AAR , you should know I met the same situation in the AAR with Doug . You should also know the reason for it ,also the comments! ... We always criticize others gamey . But as there are no allies troops in any  Italy city but a Patisan  who is almost die on a rail rub , Italy surrender ?/!! It is really unreasonable !!!! It is a gamey point !"

Well, you be the judge. On the one hand, M makes a sensible point. Should partisans really count in the surrender conditions? And this cheesy little gar grabbing Tirana?

However, I don't think it's a glitch or gamey. Picture this: Germans are running rampant all over Russia. Yeah! Meanwhile, their Italian "Allies" have been stuck on garrison duty in France. Oh, and they got kicked out of all of North Africa with zero help from their "allies". Oh, and they lost Sardinia too. Oh, and the Allies have liberated Corsica and have a very large force in Marseilles-Nice, and that force has begun to move into northern Italy. Hitler, Mussolini's "friend" couldn't even be bothered to send some old men & Hitler youth to stop a Yugoslavian partisan force from entering Trieste (which, btw, did actually happen late in the war). Don't you think under these circumstances that a coup d'état might overthrow Il Duce?

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Since IRL the threat of bombardment and further loss of life was one of the most important reasons for Italian surrender, I think the in-game situation is reasonable. The Allies virtually encircled Italy and they are at the gates of Genoa. The RM is non-existent, all overseas possessions are lost. Moreover, even ONE GAR would be sufficient to protect Tirana and the Axis leadership was so incompetent that it didn't station ANY forces there, but the Axis troops are chasing some partisans in the mountains. Historically Italian morale was low, so I don't think that they would resist much longer under such conditions.

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Fri May 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Its Morris' problem that he allow partisans to take cities on his home territory, not game one.
This unit is exceptionally weak and literally anything would stop it. But empty place is empty.

supermax

Post by supermax » Fri May 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Plaid wrote:Its Morris' problem that he allow partisans to take cities on his home territory, not game one.
This unit is exceptionally weak and literally anything would stop it. But empty place is empty.
Well said Plaid.

supermax

Post by supermax » Fri May 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Diplomaticus wrote:Hey, guys, after a very long hiatus, I'm posting an update on our ongoing game.

First, an explanation: Right around the time that my armies were getting truly overwhelmed by Morris's attacks, I was also getting truly overwhelmed by RL. The several CEAW opponents who have been very patient with me for the past couple of months have sometimes had to wait and wait for my turns. I thought that this AAR had already served its purpose anyway, so with time short I didn't see much point in adding to an AAR that was based on now obsolete data (we began it in RC11).

Then something happened in the last move, and M asked me to please post the latest results for general discussion. Here they are:

1) It's now November 1942, and the Russians are at death's door. After the complete collapse of my attempted defense line in 1941, leading to the loss of both Stalingrad and Moscow, the Russians were in desperate straits. In the summer of 1942, I attempted to form a defense of the rough terrain near Omsk along the lines of what Joe Rock did, but the Axis got fair weather all through October *and even November* 1942, which led to this awful picture:

2) But on the bright side, the Allies have a quite strong landing in southern France (no Overlord yet), and here comes the big thing--look carefully at this screen shot:

The Western Allies hold Sardinia, Tunis, Tripoli, and are about to land in Tirana (Albania). Our partisan friends had taken Trieste a couple turns previously. Voila! Italy surrenders.

In an email, Morris wrote: "Tirana again ! If you read the AAR , you should know I met the same situation in the AAR with Doug . You should also know the reason for it ,also the comments! ... We always criticize others gamey . But as there are no allies troops in any  Italy city but a Patisan  who is almost die on a rail rub , Italy surrender ?/!! It is really unreasonable !!!! It is a gamey point !"

Well, you be the judge. On the one hand, M makes a sensible point. Should partisans really count in the surrender conditions? And this cheesy little gar grabbing Tirana?

However, I don't think it's a glitch or gamey. Picture this: Germans are running rampant all over Russia. Yeah! Meanwhile, their Italian "Allies" have been stuck on garrison duty in France. Oh, and they got kicked out of all of North Africa with zero help from their "allies". Oh, and they lost Sardinia too. Oh, and the Allies have liberated Corsica and have a very large force in Marseilles-Nice, and that force has begun to move into northern Italy. Hitler, Mussolini's "friend" couldn't even be bothered to send some old men & Hitler youth to stop a Yugoslavian partisan force from entering Trieste (which, btw, did actually happen late in the war). Don't you think under these circumstances that a coup d'état might overthrow Il Duce?
Please show a more detailed picture of the Omsk situation. If you get a good winter situation, you should be able to dislodge south or north. At this situation, the germans are and can maybee take Omsk, but are probably stretched thin everywhere, manpower situation super low, and oil in dire straights... Ive done this before in other versions of the game and let me tell you that i didnt have much left in the barrel end 1942, effectively my oil was not even 100, and my manpower below 50.

Especially now that you have Italy, you need to push as hard as possible with the allies everywhere. Also put some space and dislodge the germans from anything close to Omsk, fill the hexes around the city and hunker down for summer 43.

joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:04 am

About the two cancelled "Tirana" games...

I very nearly captured undefended Tirana in spring 1943 in my game against Morris. It would have been the 5th Italian city, but the weather turned fair and he spotted me and railed a garrison in. I believe I mentioned in passing in my email to him that Italy would have surrendered, but I may not have. At any rate, I didn't explicitly spell it out for him, so I don't blame him for not realizing it.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that the weather turned fair now. It would have stunk to have such a fun and competititve game cancelled!

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Although I continue to be pressed for time, Morris asked me to do a quick post to update this AAR. He points out that Axis players will be very interested to see a game where Omsk actually falls. As you'll see in the below screen shot, that's not far off.

In addition to crediting Morris' impressive tactical ability and extremely aggressive play style, I will point out several additional factors that got us here:
1) As I wrote earlier in this AAR, I made the mistake of trying to defend too much. I was directly responding to what happened in Joe Rock's game, where the Germans drove through a huge gap south of Moscow, with disastrous results for the Allies. However, trying to hold a thinner line everywhere meant that I was able to hold nowhere. I actually thought at one point that M was going to take Baku, but I managed to stabilize that line as he sent his main force for the kill at Omsk.

2) Even with my overall strategic blunder, M wouldn't have been able to pull this off in 2.1. You all remember how Axis could cut through the Russians like a hot knife through butter in RC11, right?

3) With just a little bit of weather luck, I think I still would have held out at Omsk, but the weather was fair & clear all the way through October and even November, which allowed him to drive right next to Omsk by the time winter showed up.

So, what have the Western Allies been doing all this time? Take a look:

This image shows the situation at the beginning of the Allied turn, 5-3-1943. The previous turn (first clear weather in Central Europe this spring), paratroopers dropped into empty St. Nazaire and Rennes, and into Cherbourg whose defender had been pulverized by air and sea bombardment. Morris, as you know, uses Italians to defend France, but what surprised me is that even though he had the whole winter to re-garrison, he left city after city vacant or barely defended. It's almost as if he wants me in France, as if he's trying to lure me into a trap of some kind....

Yeah, I have been following the other AAR (vs. Joe Rock). So I made sure that my lead units in Overlord were all more or less expendable. I intend to expand into France with a nice meat shield in front of me. Whether that will save me from the deadly panzer/stuka blitz, well, we'll have to see. I'm sure he's got a very nasty surprise waiting for me the other side of the Rhine.

I don't expect to win this game, but it should be interesting. A lot will depend on how long Omsk can hold out. There's a very strong guard corps defending, with a +1 leader, but M has worn down the entrenchment to '2', so it'll be tough. In the build queue, I have one mech arriving each turn, but now that clear weather has arrived, that won't even keep up with the losses. The silver lining to the cloud is that after Omsk finally falls, he's got a long, long way to get back home to face the Americans.

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Fri May 25, 2012 4:23 pm

What happens when Russia surrenders? The Germans gain control over all Russian hexes, but partisans still appear, right?

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kragdob » Fri May 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Cybvep wrote:What happens when Russia surrenders? The Germans gain control over all Russian hexes, but partisans still appear, right?
All Soviets dissappear (including partisans) and Germans get control over all Russia hexes. New partisans can pop up after that that Allies control.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Thu May 31, 2012 6:51 pm

July 1943, and Omsk finally falls.

The interesting thing is that just the turn previous, Paris fell:

And as you know, Italy got knocked out by some partisans in Trieste, so the situation there looks like this now:

Well, well, well... isn't that special?

In general, the loss of Russia means humiliating defeat for the Allies, and this game may certainly play out like that, but there are some compensations:
1) The Brits have moved into the Baku oil fields and, unless he's able to rail in troops (will he have to wait for rail gauge?) I'll have Baku city and all the oil fields by next turn. This is more about the PP's, though, since he's probably got all the oil he'll ever need anyway.
2) The early loss of Italy, while not on the scale of the loss of Russia, of course, at least means that he'll be short on units still for a while, until he's able to take full advantage of the troops coming in from the East, and of course the massive PP bonanza from all those captured cities. It also means that the Med is an Allied lake.
3) The Allies have a toe hold on a couple of ports in the Balkans. So far I haven't had a chance to make much use of those, since France was taking all my attention, but at least it's a thorn in his side, and I hope to at minimum draw off some forces that he'd rather have facing the Americans.
4) We've got a little landing set to go in NW Germany. Another distraction that may just possibly turn into more. Remember that with Norway conquered, I can stage aircraft to cover this area.
5) The Allies have impressive forces arrayed in France, including 11 armored units with '15' tech level and very solid air cover. As I posted earlier, I'm trying to protect myself from the kind of thing M pulled against Joe by screening my most valuable assets with expendables like British corps, French resistance fighters, and snooty Bistro waiters.

The screen shots above show the situation at the beginning of my turn. By the turn's end, the Allies were in Lille, Reims, Lorraine and Groningen. No sign as of yet of M's no doubt massive reserve of armor and stukas lying in wait. When will he release the hounds?

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm

August 31 1944.

A quick update.

So I learned from Morris why he hasn't yet hit me with his massive armored might, a la Joe Rock. It's because he's had trouble transporting his army from the Eastern Front. I regret now being as conservative as I've been, but I just didn't know what forces he had in the West. Oh well.

The first screen shot shows you how things stand in the now conquered Soviet Union.

As you can see above, 4-5 partisans spawn each turn, which means that Mr. Morris will need quite a large force to garrison all those conquered cities. Here's where he must really be missing Italy, since not only is he missing all those handy Italian gars, but now he has to garrison Italy too, or so it would seem.

What this image shows is that M has largely abandoned Italy. He's been maintaining a strong force, including (until this last turn) 6 fighters, in NW Italy, but the rest of the peninsula is amazingly weak. I've got commandoes in Naples, and there are more forces landing in the toe of the boot this turn. You also see the situation in the Balkans. I'm finally set to add a few reinforcements to help all those partisans out. I've got two port cities, so my only limitation is available manpower to help out. One of the reasons that I don't have more units available is that I felt I had to send as many units as I had on hand to seize Baku and to make sure that M doesn't make a move on Persia. If he decides to mount an offensive down there, I want to have solid forces in place. If he ignores it, I intend to make a move of my own in that direction.

Finally on to Germany itself.

This image doesn't tell the whole story, but essentially he's sending his strongest units to eastern Netherlands to counter my main armored thrust. I think he made a mistake in not trying to hold the Rhine. Now that the Hague is securely in my hands, I have my foot in the door, and he doesn't have very favorable terrain to try to stop me. Again, I'm trying to lead with my less valuable units so that I have a very powerful armored force to back me up when he counter-attacks.

I am also making a larger stab than I had originally planned in the Strasbourg area. He's sent so much to stop me from breaking into NW Germany that he's actually left several Siegfried Line fortresses unmanned. This turn I take Strasbourg, land a para in Stuttgart (lucky me--it lands a perfect 10!), and advance two tank divisions and a lot of infantry to force him to direct forces down there.

I'll close by reflecting on the overall resource situation. I doubt that M will ever have an oil problem. He seized Maikop & Grozny early, and even too 2 Baku in 1942. The Russians were so weak, he really didn't need to use his full oil-burning force. Manpower, though, should already be a problem for him. How bad, I'm not sure, but he has to be below 75%, and he's been losing units and steps steadily in the West. Economically, his production must be very high. True, he's lost France, part of Italy, Norway, and I've bombed the Ruhr and Hamburg. On the other hand, he's got the entire USSR on his side, except for Baku. The Western Allies have lost Russia, an incalculable loss, but they benefit from a large landscape of conquered/liberated territories, from North Africa to France to Norway. And, of course, the convoys keep rolling in. I sunk M's last u-boat long ago. So even without Stalin the Allies have the edge in PP/turn, manpower and oil. Will it be enough?

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:34 pm

In my opinion you need to win and maintain air supremacy. This, in my opinion, means overwhelming numbers in fighters and bombers. If he tries to contest you then he will spend a lots of PP's just repairing air units. Either way, once you gain control of the skies over Europe then you can use your air power to devastate his armor and mech units.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”