Invincible Allies (no Crazygunner1 please)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Invincible Allies (no Crazygunner1 please)

Post by Kragdob »

Here we are - after cocky discussion with Crazyg at Joe's AAR we set up the game - I want to check if my doubts whether Allies are invincible will be changed.

Turn 1 - Invasion of Poland

No air used so invasion of Low Countries is expected. Interesting setup - I usually use 2 tanks at least. CrazyG will use only one tank and 5 INFs.

First observation. I really hate after all of the changes that FTRs are so good in defensive posture. The Polish fighter needs at least 2 attacks to be killed. If so what is the rationale behind the rule of cities changing sides when occupied only by air units who leaves them? Still air units are good at keeping fortresses etc. before mainbody arrives (I used to hopelessly attack Mersa Mareth with two INF corps against German STRAT bomber).

In my opinion looses of air units from ground forces should be muliplied by 3 (so they will survive when less then 4 steps inflicted which gives them chances in weak attacks).
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.
Kragdob

Re: Invincible Allies (no Crazygunner1 please)

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 2 - Invasion of Low Countries

Poland holds (wouldn't expect otherwise). Battle of Bzura - counter attack of Armia Poznan scores historically (2 steps from German ARM).

As expected Belgium and Holland is invaded - both of them falling against only such force seems a bit unlucky for me but let it be.
We occupy Liege to protect our flank against German strike south during next turns (we hope it will be mud!). After some hesitation we abandoned Lorraine. It would be nice to keep it for more turns but experience shows that If only weather is fair (75%) then Germans will not have any trouble capturing it and setting defensive line that close opens up for encirclement possibilities for German blitzkrieg. We shield Reims to prevent capturing it on next turn (only one hex to attack it available).

Crazyg was surprised by such a deep defenses claiming that he managed to defend in such circumstances till fall of 1940 once (right - once!) - I would like to see such defenses - if only Germany is not extremely unlucky it means total annihilation of French army in autumn 1939 and fall of Paris even as early as in December 1939.
Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 3 - Fair

Germans take Lille. We retreat to our main defense line.

Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 4 - Mud

Seems Mother Nature likes us. Germans dig into our positions smartly using forward retreat of our GAR.

Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 5 - Mud

Germans penetrate our right wing striking towards Dijon. They approach at the center of the front and it looks they will be trying to pull out our GARs with their INFs. Well we cannot do anything about that - I will be happy if France survives past Turn 12.

No u-boats spotted so far. They must be lurking near French coast. Sea Lion alert announced.

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep »

Why so pessimistic? The results are pretty standard for Blitzkrieg, although I usually use more ARMs in the West early on and take Liege, too. Weather is ok for the Allies so far.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Kragdob wrote:Turn 5 - Mud

Germans penetrate our right wing striking towards Dijon. They approach at the center of the front and it looks they will be trying to pull out our GARs with their INFs. Well we cannot do anything about that - I will be happy if France survives past Turn 12.

No u-boats spotted so far. They must be lurking near French coast. Sea Lion alert announced.

In this pbem , it seems France will be able to be alive until Apr 1940 with some help of BEF . :)
Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 6 - Winter

Germans move forward in France. They break near Paris and we counter. If I didn't forget to attack from Paris I would have probably destroy that INF :-)

jjdenver
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by jjdenver »

What is the status of Norway and Denmark in this AAR? It looked like I saw something happening - conquest of Denmark?
Clark

Post by Clark »

Looks like a turn 1 conquest of Denmark.
Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turns 7 - 12 Winter/Mud

Germans slowly grinds through French right flank. We killed one INF and reduced another one badly. Paris fell on turn 11 - hoped for 12 (March). Still no sight of U-boats so we are preparing for Sealion the first fair turn of 1940. We moved our CV to support our air defenses - SUB will move to screen it on the next turn. We build 2 extra MECHs and 2 extra INF to strike any forces that would land on the Homeland - even if there is no Sealion those will find usage - but with the force I gathered I am hoping to make any Sealion attempt very costly. Crippled England for crippled Germany is fine for me in 1940/1941.

Yes, Denmark was conquered on Turn 1 which I consider a waste as it must have been done using 8PPs for transport. I would be more effective by doing it with single INF on turn 2 or 3. Norway was not DOWed.

Turn 7
Turn 8
Turn 9
Turn 10
Turn 11
Turn 12
Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

This might be a bluff, but then, with early fall of France, the Axis has many options and Sea Lion is definitely one of them, so you cannot ignore this possibility.
Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 13 - Fair

No sign of invasion so far - it is becoming less and less probable, I judged it around 50/50 last turn, but still who knows. Crazyg doesn't look like Sealion type but I prefer to be prepared then regret later - plenty fair turns to go in 1940.

But we made a mistake of moving our CV to London without proper protection! Our SUB came too late! Now CV is blocked by Germans SUB and we must either repair it (24 PPs per turn) or loose it. I don't know yet what to do with this as it seems that Malta fighter will be pressed as well. UK cannot afford such repair bill at this moment especially that we have some investments (labs & DDs) to be made. For now we chose not to reinforce.

Looks like some action in NA soon 2 Germans transports spotted - it definitely doesn't look like just Tobruk reinforcements. We moved our Egyptian army into defensive positions - INF at the front, heavy units in the rear. Italians knocked 3 steps from our FTR - we repaired it at the cost of abandoning our CV for now.

Last edited by Kragdob on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 14 - Fair

Our worries are over. Germans invade Norway which means no invasion on Britain this year. I think this is strategical mistake - now I have enough forces to fully engage. Germans will have to use significant land and air forces (+ SUBs probably) if they want to keep Norway for longer time - any exchange of PPs is good at this stage of the game. Plan minimum is to keep at least one port for further operations - plan maximum is to prevent surrender of Norway - but this one requires some luck as well.

We rail to Norwegian division to help defenses of Oslo. Our air forces prepare to support the defenders.

Italians keep pressing on Malta. They made a mistake to move their DD squadron next to my DD in port and we hampered it badly. This will probably help evacuation of Malta fighter from this useless position.

Our CV was reduced to 3 steps. We must write if off the books for now - no PPs to repair it, especially that such action would be a great opportunity for Germans to drain UK points for little expeses.
Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 15 - Fair

Oslo defenders hold for now. Reinforcements are on the way.

Taking advantage of absence of Italian DD we carefully devised plan for evacuating Malta fighter. With this setup both transport and/or DD can be attacked by only 1 BB. Second one will be stopped by our SUB. I chosed Western route since I strongly suspect Italian SUBs blocking Eastern way to Egypt.

Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 16 - Fair

Good progress - I wonder if Germans keeps up with it.

In Norway support divisions were annihilated. If Oslo holds one more turn I have some nasty surprise for invaders...

And here is the second thing I think needs to be seriously reconsidered in the game engine. CrazyG used DD to scout so two BBs hit my escaping forces. BUT he also sent bunch of fishing boats that easily stop my DD and transport from escaping. What a realistic scenario! It cost him like 12 PPs + some repairs to the garrisons later (overwhelming...).

2 examples

HMS Janus (F53)
HMS Jackal (F22)

6 x 4.7" guns (3x2)
4 x 2pdr AA (1x4)
8 x .5" MG AA (2x4)
10 x 21" torpedo tubes (2x5)
Max speed 36 knots

For now I guess I have to live with that.
Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

Turn 17 - Fair

Unfortunately Norway falls - one turn and we could have kept it...

Our Mediterranean DD died. Transport will follow soon.
Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

Losing the FTR still hurts and, well, ~20 (?) Italian PP for 150+ British PP is a good deal.
Kragdob

Post by Kragdob »

There is a little break in posting. I will try to resume at the end of the week.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”