Hü (Axis) vs Morris (Allies)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Hü (Axis) vs Morris (Allies)

Post by Morris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Plaid wrote:
hue wrote:<...>did'nt know a partisan would spawn there <...>
Well, it is UK core hex. Not only it does spawn partisans, but with increased probability.
I think situation in this AAR is now tricky - Hue created precedent, asking for replay to fix minor issue (partisan unit on Malta), and now Morris wants his payback to fix major issue (lost 1941-42 campaign on the east).
I don't know details of your private conversations, so I can't judge precisely, its just how it looks from here.
Ok , let me explain some more detail :
1 there were no 1941-1942 campaign in the east & east front just start from May 8th 1942 & Russian start their winter offensive from Nov 1942 . I don't think I lost the 1942-1943 campaign on the east )
2 Malta was not a minor issue which was not only worth one pp . The partisan spawn there was 8-10 steps ( I retried 4 times to avoid the partisan there ). it will be equiped with defence general . meanwhile the Italian fleet were in Altlantic . The time is just before the first altlantic battle . If Axis have to invest 3BBs & one para to take Malta again , it will last at least 5-7 turns . & They probably could not catch up with the opportunity to particapate in Altlantic battle one which Axis sucessfully destroy the US & UK fleet & transport . Without the three BBs , Godknows what will be the result of the first altlantic battle . It would also be a major issue !

Actually , I really regret to agree Hue to replay that turn ,otherwise they won't be developed like this . It was my fault & I apologize for this . :(
Last edited by Morris on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks for explanation.
Sorry. I meant 1942-43 campaign indeed.
And can I ask a question? If you say you did not lose this campaign, it means you are happy with results. If you are happy with results, why do you want to replay it?
The time is just before the first altlantic battle . If Axis have to invest 3BBs & one para to take Malta again , it will last at least 2-4 turns .
Question is why axis want Malta at all - with all eastern Africa ports and Gibraltar they have million of NA supply points anyway. So why bother (re)taking it?

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Plaid wrote:Thanks for explanation.
Sorry. I meant 1942-43 campaign indeed.
And can I ask a question? If you say you did not lose this campaign, it means you are happy with results. If you are happy with results, why do you want to replay it?
The time is just before the first altlantic battle . If Axis have to invest 3BBs & one para to take Malta again , it will last at least 2-4 turns .
Question is why axis want Malta at all - with all eastern Africa ports and Gibraltar they have million of NA supply points anyway. So why bother (re)taking it?
1 I want to replay because of the Iran issue , if we can't retreat from the port ( the reinforce mission for Iran is a risky task in tight schadule ), we'd rather to give up Iran & just defence around Baku & concentrate power in our main fronts ( Iran mission cost 2 FTR , 1 tac ,one mech ,four corp ) .

2 Regarding to Malta , I can't answer your question & maybe Hue can tell you the reason . :) I just thought If he think it not important ,he would not ask me to replay the turn for it .

GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Malta is 10 supply points. If you don't have Malta then you can't do a simultaneous push for Casablanca and Iraq.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Malta is only important until the Axis crushes the UK in Egypt and rolls into Iraq. After that it doesn't matter if the supply in the Middle East drops a little.

If I had lost Malta due to a partisan then I would have played on and let the garrison just stay there. I wouldn't have bothered retaking it.

One good thing about this is that NOBODY will now forget to garrison Malta (or Gibraltar) if they manage to capture these. :P

The issue Morris had with the port in Iraq could be caused by playing with different versions. So before doing anything else both should make sure they use the same version.

I could see a replay to overcome a bug or game misbehavior. Then you do the turn BEFORE the bug and make sure you don't redo the same situation. E. g. Hü could have agreed to NOT take Rasht and Morris promised he would evacuate the units he had there.

What I see as a problem is that both player played on for quite a few turns after this happened. Then it becomes too late to ask for a replay in my opinion.

If I were Hü and Morris I would probably think about getting a rematch playing with GS v3.0 because that version will probably be out when Hü is back. This game is probably lost for Morris so you don't lose much if this game ends. If Morris thinks otherwise he could just prove it by showing he can crush the Axis during the winter. :)

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Malta points are based on port damage (up to 5) and air unit on the airfield strength (up to 5 aswell). Sure if you occupie the fortress, you get all 10 points aswell. But even with partisan it will be 10 initially (no air unit and ruined port after change owned) and then slowly degrade to 5(as port repairs).
Morris says that partisan appeared just before battle for Atlantic, meaning Gibraltar was already captured, so points clearly are not the issue here.
And if not points, then what? 1 PP island with garrison in the middle of axis mediterranead lake?
Last edited by Plaid on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hue
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by hue » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:52 pm

well, malta was just "cosmetic" ... guess I am to much a perfectionist (thats a Geman word... hope you have it in English too) and wanted an all-grey beatyfull map for you in the AAR here... but fate wanted it different and now all is destroyed :)
anyways: never ever the Italian fleet would have went back, why? I don't need it to retake Malta!!

well & In Persia Morriy lost excactly one MECH to the Bug. the inf near that habor was dead anyway. so I hope this wont chance the game.

But to close this discussion: I agreed to Morris wish and sadly declare the AAR stopped. :/

(All written with Mobile... hope its understandable)
Dear receiver! This post was officially proofread by the NSA to avoid displeasing content in order to guarantee your complete satisfaction! Thank you for your understanding. You're welcome!

hue
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by hue » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:55 pm

but the question about lend-lease thru Persia is still unanswered. Anybody nows if still SU gets the PP from that route?
Dear receiver! This post was officially proofread by the NSA to avoid displeasing content in order to guarantee your complete satisfaction! Thank you for your understanding. You're welcome!

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 pm

I checked the code. The lend lease to Russia will only appear if:
* UK is at war and not surrendered
* USSR is at war and not surrendered
* Persia is at war and not surrendered
* London not Axis controlled

So the southern lend lease route is closed when Persia is captured. The condition about no Axix control of London was added not so long ago so I don't know if your version had that change or not.

DanSlayer
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by DanSlayer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:12 pm

hue wrote:Today Morris told me to only continue our game if I stop writing this AAR ... I have completely no idea why it is like that ...

Come on Morris: I am looking forward to continue our gloriuos fight! And I want to post it because I spend so many effort and to to make an AAR like this!

@all: Push Morris to continue!!! Please Morris!!! ;)
hue wrote: But to close this discussion: I agreed to Morris wish and sadly declare the AAR stopped. :/
I have still read the AAR.. and now... WHAT?!!? Hue stops this AAR?! Because Morris tell him to stop the AAR? Otherwise he don't play the game along? :shock:

Morris, can You tell us please, WHY Hue should stop this AAR? What have You to hide from us? What should we not see? I think, the other guys would it also gladly know. I don't really understand, in which relation stays the relo with Malta (when did it happen? which turn?) and your claim to break the AAR?

Futhermore to demand to replay the whole barbarossa till t49 (now we see t59, where is the game?) is not really the same to ask for replay one turn... :roll: Or am I wrong?
Anyone, who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield, will think hard before starting a war.

Otto von Bismarck

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:20 pm

But to close this discussion: I agreed to Morris wish and sadly declare the AAR stopped. :/
Well, that's sad. This was a great AAR.

trulster
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Cybvep wrote:
Well, that's sad. This was a great AAR.
Indeed. Well presented and with some crazy events. Hope it continues!

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:23 am

Sorry everyone ! I am tired of explaining by my poor English . We will have new AAR in 3.0 .

Enjoy the game !

hue
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

THE END!

Post by hue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi everybody,

Actually I had no fun playing on with Morris after he forced me to stop my AAR and he didn’t want to continue in public, so we finally had a stalemate at turn 63. Well, I still don’t get why this happens, but anyway, here come the last four glorious turns:

Turn 60 | November '42
Pre-Turn

Russians do a hard counter attack in the South killing 2 Panzers, 2 Mech and 2 Romanian INF... Especially at Kursk russian bombers had a very good day it seems.
Interesting situation in the North and the Middle... nobody home! Every Red Army soldier went to the South! Wehrmacht will take the opportunity and launch operation Typhoon against Moscow.

The Russian MECH dies in the bugy-harbor. But well, this is the only single unit Morris looses to the bug ... our goal will be to attack the Western group and prevent them from fleeing to Caucasus.

Free Frech start there uprising at Agadir. But our troops are well prepared for them... fire at will!!!

Bismarck down to 1 step… we’ll have to find a way to get her out of there…!

Post-Turn

North/Middle:
Eleven Axis INF-Corps march on Moscow from different directions. No Russians in sight... what will Morris do?
Some Luftwaffe air units send North too, in the South we will just fall back and there is nothing to do for them in the next turns.
Also three additional reserve Inf-Corps have been railed to Moscow region ... they will ether look after our flanks or push through Moscow too ... depending on Morris reaction.

South:
Russian FTR killed with 3:0 steps! Hurray!
And retreating in line on the whole front. Like this Morris will have no chance to attack us in force as ZOC is preventing him to follow.
Morris wrote: yes , I planed to start the attack from oct 1942 , but unfortunately it was all fair weather until Dec ! Otherwise the all southern Axis troops would have almost all be killed !
Actually I would have done the same style retreating as soon as bad weather sets in. No way killing my Southern group at all. ;) :P
Our FTRs were repaired as Morris has not many Russian FTRs in a good shape to cover his Bombers.
And at the same time we start to rail some Panzers to a safe zone where they can rest and need no oil. They won’t fight in Winter anyway.
In Charkow the second Airborne division starts to dig in.

First Russian Corps encircled...

Agadir back in our hands! Now the Free French have to wait for their western Allies to supply them... but they won’t come!
Bismarck is save for this turn! It took almost half an Hour to find this single HEX were she is safe...
Rest of the fleet ether repairs or sails back to safer waters.

Casualties... and Killcounter, Turn Eleven Barbarossa:
SU: 1 FTR, 1 Mech (Iran)
Total: 2 FTR, 5 Pz, 11 Mech, 38 Inf, 1 FJ, 62 Gar

AXIS:2 Pz, 2 Mech, 2 rom Inf
Total: 5 Pz, 4 Mech, 2 Inf

Turn 61 | 14. Dezember '42
Pre-Turn

At Moscow it seems Red Army tries to implement some kind of defence. Not enough to make us stop though... also Morris should yet not expect our Bombers here!
Tula empty ... we’ll take the present!
In South quite quiet. Russians probably repaired their Air Force… good for our troops… they’ll just retreat further and keep the ZOC-line intact.
Well, just one single bombed Romanian Corps… that’s all for the first Russian Winter-turn…

British FTR given up … but a nice chance for us to encircle the next two Russian units…

All quiet here … just some news: Morris breaks our house-rule and again stations a strategic bomber at Canaries. (At that time/turn everything was still harmonious)

What happend here? The next Allied suicide cruise?? Supply the Free French?

Post-Turn

Red Army defence perimeter with help of Luftwaffe destroyed! Scouts report: defenders of Moscow not dugged in and two more INFs in sight!
Further retreating in the South, this turn only the Southern Russian tank is able to attack, rest is prevented by ZOC. ;)
Again Panzer railed away, on Northern wing some repairs; maybe Morris gives us an opportunity for a counter here?
Italian Airborns get a defence commander, not much more we can do for defence of those cities.
After that turn severe winter sets in… Germans are vulnerable now. What a Luck we are not in attack range… (Did I just say luck?? ;) )

We start some landing skirmish here... maybe we can attract some Russian INFs?
FTR stationed in North Persia to improve our spotting there...
And: last British unit destroyed in Middle East … that makes 5 Infs, 1 Mech, 1 Pz, 2 FTR, and some Gars killed here!
Next Red Army soldiers encircled. No active hostile troops in the area... only a single GAR walking to Tabriz.

We try to kill the Northern Free French … the FTR needs that HEX to attack the American StratB which still sits on Canaries.
Pz and MECH left alone… maybe Morris really risks some ships to supply them??

By the way: SUBs find the hostile „fleet“ just two DDs probably looking out for our SUBs?
Bismarck savely on the way to Basra now… also Littorio makes it home to a save harbor. And a new Italian BB is welcomed in Axis fleet!

Casualties...and KillCounter, Turn twelve Barbarossa:
SU: 3 Inf (who would have guessed?!?!)
Total: 2 FTR, 5 Pz, 11 Mech, 41 Inf, 1 FJ, 62 Gar

Axis: -

Turn 62 | Januar '43
Pre-Turn

Patisans spawn in Kalinin … annoying!
Moscow: Red Army is running! This is our chance to get the city! Actually it seems that Soviets have trouble with producing enough units and repairing everything at the same time...
As expected hostile forces could not really attack our units, most losses were due to bombings.

Morris brings in a 7-step INF corp in reaction to our transport… nice its not at Moscow then. Actually this is a INf which was fleeing from Petrosavosk region some turns ago ... does STAWKA not build new troops?

DDs still on suicide course andFree French INF starving at the coast line.

Post-Turn

Kalinin: Partisan survives ... annoying again!
Moscow: encircled and (non-dugged-in) Airborne down to 3-steps. Moscow will not resist long!
Russian INF at Kursk destroyed, our units form a ZOC line… so no counterattacks possible again! (well, let’s hope there are no Tanks in Lipetzk or Voronezh)
Rest of the frontline on retreat in line … again Morris will almost not be able to attack... except our fortress-cities... our fanatic Airborns are dugged in there commanded by their Def-commanders. Let’s hope they will cost Red Army some time!
Some Mechs railed back… we were planning our Spring offensive in the region of Odessa! Red Army should reach there just in time (five turns) if they keep the same speed ... (which they will as we don’t leave them another choice).
Luftwaffe rebased to Romania, time for repairs and upgrades…

Russian Rail-capa going down as Moscow is attacked!

Overview oft he Eastern front. In the Reich one can see two Panzer-corps. Dose will be upgraded to SS next turn. Another Pz is already being upgraded to SS. And a third Pz is under construction, and will be upgraded as well in 2 turns. This will give us at least 4 SS Panzer-corps and 5 regular ones for the Spring offensive. Together with our additional ground and Air forces we guess Morris will (would) have a hard time stopping us.

Not much happend here. Just some bombings and another feint-landing set up.

Hex for the FTR turned grey again & Convoy attacked by our SUBs. Fleets is being repaired and Stukas stay in the region as we are not sure what Morris will do with his two DDs.

3rd Naval Lab build… they are doing such ago job, why not provide some new weapons in the future…

And… casualties... and KillCounter: Turn 13 Barbarossa:

SU: 1 Inf, 1 Gar
Total: 2 FTR, 5 Pz, 11 Mech, 42 Inf, 1 FJ, 63 Gar
ACHSE: -

Well, and that was the magic turn … after this Morris wanted a re-start form Turn 49 ... you know the rest of the story. Only one more turn was played, pictures made by a friend of mine, because I wasn’t in the mute anymore:

Turn 63 | Januar '43
Pre-Turn

No counterattacks at Moscow. City has been given up!
Oh, and well… Morris killed the first two Axis units during his winter-offensive. And how he did! Two dugged in Airborne with DEF-commanders killed at almost no losses for the Red Army (compared to Axis/Finnish losses at Moscow). Next time I would retreat the Airborne too, it makes no sense leaving them there, if they defend so badly!

No reserves send to the Caucasus by the enemy. Well then let’s start invading for real!

No repairs on the still at Canaries sitting StratB … Americans building up a new fleet?

In three attacks (DD, FTR, STRB) only one hit on our SUB… well luck seems to turn away from the Airborne and goes to the divers :) .

Post-Turn

Moscow captured!!! Thanks to our Finnish comrades who did most of the work as they have appropriate winter-equipment (but took high losses too)!
Also Jaroslawl captured by the Finns.
Partisans killed to be sure our retreat will be in order once it is necessary.
And in the South: going back in ordered line… what else? ;)

Overview again … building for the Spring offensive. And actually I have to say: I understand Morris frustration: we have the room to fall back, there is nothing he can do and while he is perusing we safe oil and build up, oh and capture Moscow ...
In the Russian North still no units in sight … would have been a nice place for a spring offensive too!

Airforce moves forward here, and more Units for landings are deployed.

The two Pz going to the Eastern Front… we wanted to make a hard punch on the Russians in Summer `43. Al in all it would have been 10 Pz, 10 TACs, 8 MECHs, 12 FTRs and 30 INFs in Russia. Additional troops would make pressure from the Caucasus (2 MECH, 8 INF, 3FTR and 3 TACs)... from my point of view Soviets have not a chance to win this game.

Bismarck safely arrived in Basra!

The Situation in the Atlantic: 7 BBs, 4 DDs and 10 SUBs stationed here ... we estimate Morris to have 6 ships in total at the moment.

Finnaly the FTR reaches the position to chase away that buggy STRB!

Well, and as all ends, we can play with open cards: two German CVs would engage the next Atlantic battle…

Some words to production and oil too: Axis have a total of 280 PP / turn and 100 Oil ... I would guess that’s more than Allies have in total... ?!

For the last time casualties and KillCounter:

Turn 14 Barbarossa:
SU: 1 FJ
Total: 2 FTR, 5 Pz, 11 Mech, 42 Inf, 2 FJ, 63 Gar =3685 PP

ACHSE: 2 FJ
Total: 5 Pz, 4 Mech, 2 Inf, 2 FJ = 775 PP

AXIS MAYOR VICTORY

For the victory parade in Moscow the latest Tigers of the heavy Panzerabteilung 502 have been railed in!

Well, thats it... thank you for reading and hope you did enjoy my AAR !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b26BD5KjH0

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for the AAR. It was one of the most impressive Axis games I've ever seen and you were playing against Morris, not against a noob. I hope that we will get more epic AARs from you in the future :).

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I think this game would have ended in an Axis ultimate victory if it had continued till the end. With both Moscow and Leningrad fallen and not Allied threats I would have expected the next Spring to be a race for Omsk and possibly even a Russian surrender.

trulster

Post by trulster » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Excellent AAR and win. Agree that Soviet surrender absolutely within reach with the total abscense of US/UK threat.

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kragdob » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Shouldn't Turkey join you when you captured Moscow?
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

DanSlayer

Post by DanSlayer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Kragdob wrote:Shouldn't Turkey join you when you captured Moscow?
Moscow and Baku I think - so some 4-5 turns more in this game and Turkey would be Axis! :mrgreen:
Anyone, who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield, will think hard before starting a war.

Otto von Bismarck

GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Kragdob wrote:Shouldn't Turkey join you when you captured Moscow?
That needs Baku as well.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”