GS 3.0 Plaid Axis vs Morris Allies

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: GS 3.0 Plaid Axis vs Morris Allies

Post by supermax »

JimC wrote:
I think you forget what GS actually is. It is the BJR mod that Jim, Ronnie and I made to the vanilla game to make it more like we wanted. It wasnt even intended for others.

Then Slitherine offered to host the mod so others could benefit from it. The mod is free so it`s not like anyone is obliged to get anything. Some like the mod changes and some dont. I dont make a single dollar on GS so it doesnt matter to me if it is played a lot or not. I have my friends who I play with when I want to.
I didn't know the specifics of this, but it really doesn't change my point. It is fair for you, who are doing all the work uncompensated, to build the game that you want to build. The problem is that you have created something that people really like and is economically valuable. Old games don't have to die. Great games in the nondigital world never die. Those with the handicap of being on the computer have to evolve to continue living, and they can. Consider the EA sports video game franchises. A wargame will never be a moneyspinner like those, but there is no reason it can't go on for 10, 20, 30 years, as long as people are willing to pay money for it.

If I were running Slitherine, I'd get the rights to start with GS 3.0, make a few cosmetic changes, add in the replay and server-based gaming from the WWI game, improve the AI so it can deal with the game modifications, fix the playbalance, and launch CAEW II at substantially less cost than for a brand new title. There would be a built-in market of people who think CAEW is great, and the risk of it being a bomb would be low. I would not complain about having to pay for it again.
Youre quite right.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: GS 3.0 Plaid Axis vs Morris Allies

Post by Morris »

Yes , I do agree with the above JimC's point !

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”