GS 3.0 Plaid Axis vs Morris Allies

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: GS 3.0 Plaid Axis vs Morris Allies

Post by Crazygunner1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:38 am

So basically in order to avoid a total disaster germany now has to transfer atleast one tank to the west if allied player undertakes Dyle plan on turn 1.
That way you may take Liege and prevent the allies from forming a solid front.

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:12 am

Crazygunner1 wrote:So basically in order to avoid a total disaster germany now has to transfer atleast one tank to the west if allied player undertakes Dyle plan on turn 1.
That way you may take Liege and prevent the allies from forming a solid front.
thats what I do

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:09 am

If axis transfer a tank to take liege, it will effect white case 's success. Axis may just use the Frankfort Corp to move to cologn ,but you have to Dow Holland before you take Liege .

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 am

If we change the hex 1x NE of Liege to Belgian control you can more easily get into Antwerp and Liege, but it could be enough to just change the start location of the Allied units in the 1939 scenario. Then a turn 1 Dyle is virtually impossible. If you get faced with a turn 2 Dyle then you should have quite a few units in the west for turn 3 as the Germans. When I do case White I inflict losses on Warsaw with 2 armor units and a tactical bomber. So it's down to 2-5 steps. That is quite easy to take out on turn 2 without air support and many other land units. So you can send the Luftwaffe to the west and mech + armor units too by rail. You just have to ensure at least 1 mech and armor unit are parked adjacent to Lodz at the end of turn 1.

GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 am

We discussed changing that hex in the beta test, although not in the context of Dyle, and decided against it. I think that your proposed changes to the Allied start locations addresses the problem quite well.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Turn 15th

June 7th 1940 fair

Italy join in the war . Axis made a breakthrough around Brussell . Kill one corp & one Gar .

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Turn 16

June 27th 1940 fair

Finally ,Liege was conquered !

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:38 am

Turn 17

July 17th 1940 fair

Two French gars killed . Axis dare not to follow the breakthrough . French retreat to the next defence position .

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Another thing that slows axis advance down is that he is not using the forward retreat rule. That helps alot to break up heavily defended front lines.

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Crazygunner1 wrote:Another thing that slows axis advance down is that he is not using the forward retreat rule. That helps alot to break up heavily defended front lines.
Sorry, but there was no room for forward retreat so far.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:12 am

Turn 18
Aug 6th 1940 fair

Axis made a powerful attack by the help of Luftwaffe & para . Killed one BEF mech & a gar , made a big breakthrough at the northern part of Allies defence line . BEF tried their best to kill the lead para & badly hurt the panzer after him sothat they can still hold the present position .

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Aug 6th 1940 fair

after move screenshot

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 am

Aug 26th 1940 fair

We lost Brussell . But we still hold the defence line in Belgium .

Imagehttp://www.toaw.org/bbs/data/attachment ... r8r7tz.jpg

GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Are the Axis doing anything in southern France?
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:41 pm

GogTheMild wrote:Are the Axis doing anything in southern France?
Yes,they did. Italians moved towards Leon & Masille. Wehave transferred French guards to defense there . They won' t achieve much without the help of Germans .

Finland1944
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Finland1944 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:16 pm

I can't see any German leaders!

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by supermax » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:43 am

Is it just me or something is kinda wrong in the west in 1940 for the germans?

Seems like the Dutch are almost invincible and also the French put up a major resistance.

The only thing the axis can do to have a good game is with a good start. Its now really hard to either blitz the French or simply slug thru in 1940.

Am I the only one noticing this?

Also I noticed that now if the brits commit big time to defense of France and loose their units its still possible to defend England quite easily.

I wonder, looking at this game if Plaid still has the will to continue playing...

Anyway, just my 2 cents, but I believe the Axis has been weakened too much or else the allies are now too strong.

Conclusion: I should play maybe 2 3 games then i'll go into sleep mode again, since there isn't much option now to play but the historical timeline. So after 3-4 similarish games, whats new?

Has anyone thought about replayability here?

I know I am not the only one with this opinion.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:57 am

supermax wrote:Is it just me or something is kinda wrong in the west in 1940 for the germans?

Seems like the Dutch are almost invincible and also the French put up a major resistance.

The only thing the axis can do to have a good game is with a good start. Its now really hard to either blitz the French or simply slug thru in 1940.

Am I the only one noticing this?

Also I noticed that now if the brits commit big time to defense of France and loose their units its still possible to defend England quite easily.

I wonder, looking at this game if Plaid still has the will to continue playing...

Anyway, just my 2 cents, but I believe the Axis has been weakened too much or else the allies are now too strong.

Conclusion: I should play maybe 2 3 games then i'll go into sleep mode again, since there isn't much option now to play but the historical timeline. So after 3-4 similarish games, whats new?

Has anyone thought about replayability here?

I know I am not the only one with this opinion.

I do completely agree with you ! Especially the map change of Belgium ! It made the bliz much more complicate & risky not only for the damn weather but also for the combats results . Even just one unlucky red one will kill the bliz !

So I have to come back to Mr Kragdob's advice of add one more FTR & one more Tac to Axis . So that they can achive the the France campaign easily .

Back to the principle point : it seems the game balance problem again ! I hate to mention about it , but I have to ! There are many changes in the 3.0 manual which are help Allies quite a lot but the sub change . But for the sub benifit Axis does also have to pay for a lot on lab & production ! :(

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:21 am

I( would really like this game to continue, even though Plaid had a rough start it would be most interesting to see how the game developes.
Sure the germans need a bit to recover, but also remember that the english will probably be inactive for a while to since less convoys and they will take some beating in France.

Belgium, holland will generate higher income and it would also be fun to see how that pans out in the long run.

France is for sure more difficult to capture now, but i see a lot of stuff that could have been done differently in this game by the germans

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kragdob » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:35 am

Yes, this game is quite an exeption, but on the other hand I never had a game where Axis survied till 1945 (besides two I lost completely a looong time ago). When playing Axis its up the hill from the very beginning, when I play Allies I don't have any stress at all as in 1943 you usually has such a power that can devastate any Axis defenses quickly.

Look at the game with Gog. I used it to test if my feeling that convoys are not important at all is true. I skipped Atlantic totally, I got like 300 PPs of convoys in total for the whole game and well, its end of 1943 and I am at the gates of Germany from both West and East. If Germans go for convoys they bleed themselvs, an additional bonus for Allies - this simply comes from the fact that thay have too little PPs in comparison to what is required to barely hold till 1945, not to mention to win the game.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”