Pekka Sormunen Axis vs Morris Allies (free oil)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Pekka Sormunen Axis vs Morris Allies (free oil)

Post by Morris »

Hi everyone :

After watching Supermax's Axis minor advantage AAR , I decide to provide one of my present pbem with Mr Pekka Sormunen. To test the game balance problem we both concern , we made a house rule as follows :

1940, no oil limited
-Allies dow Hungary in Feb 1940
-Allies dow Italy in Feb 1940. Mussolini is a coward and doesn't attack France before June 27 1940.
-No overlord in 1941.
-Siberian guards can start fighting from Jan 1942.

I don't know will the Axis get more advantage than the Axis minor advantage . BUt the interesting part is that Max play the minor advantage Axis in that AAR & I play Allies against a no oil limited Allies in this AAR .

Keep your eyes open to see what will happen ! :D
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Pekka Sormunen Axis vs Morris Allies (free oil)

Post by Morris »

Feb 28th 1940 fair

Belgium & Holland surrender . Axis suffer few loss .

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

two more thing happened in turn one :

Allies dow Italy & Hungary according to our house rule .
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Mar 19th 1940 mud

Mud weather give French a minute to take a breath.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Apr 8th 1940 fair

Fair day ! Axis restart their offense & conquer Lile . several Gars killed . Meanwhile Axis conquer Demark .

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Apr 28th 1940 fair

Axis made a small breakthrough & it will force Allies retreat .

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

May 18th 1940 fair

interesting turn

Axis dow Yugo & attack Belgrade by Italians & Hunguarian . It seems Yugo will fall before autumn !

In France , Axis make good progress & kill many French units by the help of para attack . Meanwhile Luftwaffe suffer heavy loss during the dogfight with RAF .

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

June 7th 1940 fair

Axis made a rapid progress from south of Paris .We concentrate all our reserve to kill the lead 7 step panzer & send Manstein to hospital .

In Yugo , Yugo troops still fight & give Axis a bloody nose !

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by supermax »

Morris wrote:Hi everyone :

After watching Supermax's Axis minor advantage AAR , I decide to provide one of my present pbem with Mr Pekka Sormunen. To test the game balance problem we both concern , we made a house rule as follows :

1940, no oil limited
-Allies dow Hungary in Feb 1940
-Allies dow Italy in Feb 1940. Mussolini is a coward and doesn't attack France before June 27 1940.
-No overlord in 1941.
-Siberian guards can start fighting from Jan 1942.

I don't know will the Axis get more advantage than the Axis minor advantage . BUt the interesting part is that Max play the minor advantage Axis in that AAR & I play Allies against a no oil limited Allies in this AAR .

Keep your eyes open to see what will happen ! :D
Interesting to see this, but a little off historically, most players wont go for this kind of adjustment. What made you decide for Hungary and Italy early in the war? It certainly give major options for the Axis...

There are no political system in CEAW, but I would imagine that historically if the germans had made their aim very obvious to Bulgaria-Romania and Hungary on their intent of attacking yougo and Greece that these country would have joined the axis sooner. So in a sense it make sense :)
Finland1944
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Finland1944 »

Hi folks,
I'm the axis player and initiator of using these "unhistorical" historical variants. The whole concept is introduced in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=46406

Before posting the text here, I sent it to Morris, because he is one of those who has written about balance problems in ceaw. One way to change balance is to speculate with some historical variants. He suggested a game. So this is the background.

About this game. Changing historical variants is one instrument to give compensation to Axis (needed in any game) and in this particular game to give extra support for me against Morris. I hope that with the help of these settings I'm able to give him an opportunity to learn new skills, because this time Axis are not the same they usually are. Old challenges, old skills. New challenges, new skills.

I wanted to skip Sitzkrieg-turns, so it is 1940 scenario. Italy+Hungary was the smallest possible benefit for axis allowing early attack to Yugo and Greece. (But I still made many mistakes in both operations.) We didn't have these:
-Rumania (important if I needed oil)
-Spain (important if I were after med)
-Bulgaria (not needed)

And here is the "historical explanation" for free oil, and the possible consequences.

++++++++++++++++++++

"High-tech Germany is oil independent, and doesn't need oil in Caucasus or Iraq."

So let's imagine this kind of history: "German synthetic oil industry was well developed already in 1930's. Germany was a leading green tech country, for instance engines needed less fuel. Also new some abundant oil fields were found in Ploesti." After knowing all this, we dare to tick 'oil consumption' option off.

The situation, where Germany is not hungry for oil, would bring many possible consequences that are historically meaningful. Axis would have no need to pursue for Caucasus (neither Stalingrad?). North Africa campaign is not intended to continue to Iraq. That's why Mussolini fears that he would be left alone in Africa, so maybe it is enough for him to establish the Roman empire in Europe, from Spain (?) to Greece. (Plaid's was complaining about Med theater is too slow for Axis.) And Allies don't need to bomb Ploesti or synth plants in Germany, bombers can do something else.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

June 27th 1940 fair

Paris was almost encircled . We try our best to kill the 5 step corp .

Yugo fall this turn .

Finland1944
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Finland1944 »

This game is my ceaw-college, first year. By this far I've learned that small details matter. If you spend only 5pps a turn in vain, it will make 500 pps. Elite players master many areas: overall strategy, operations and also these little details.

On the map you can see only 2 arms and 2 leaders, there should be 3. Probably some day I'm going to tell to my grandchildren how grandpa was such a fool when he sent the precious Manstein across Seine with 7/10 arm, and how that formidable guy from China took both of them with no mercy. Or at least I'll give this as reason why Barbarossa stalled.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

July 17th 1940 fair

France surrender !

I thought Paris would be alive one more turn !

Our spy also found Luftwaffe around Tirana . It seems the Axis next target will be Greece .

casualties after France campaign

something found around Greece

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Finland1944 wrote:This game is my ceaw-college, first year. By this far I've learned that small details matter. If you spend only 5pps a turn in vain, it will make 500 pps. Elite players master many areas: overall strategy, operations and also these little details.

On the map you can see only 2 arms and 2 leaders, there should be 3. Probably some day I'm going to tell to my grandchildren how grandpa was such a fool when he sent the precious Manstein across Seine with 7/10 arm, and how that formidable guy from China took both of them with no mercy. Or at least I'll give this as reason why Barbarossa stalled.

Even if Manstein was in hospital , Germans also sweep out all Allies in France in one turn ! it seems you can turn sorrow into strength ! :)
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Aug 6th 1940 fair

RN prepare to help Greece to defense their homeland .

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Aug 26th 1940 fair

Axis start their Greece mission . RN launch attack to their landing troop & try to help Greece .

In Syria , it survived as red one .

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Sept 15th 1940 fair

Axis invade Greece as expected. RN attack the landing troop & RAF provide some airsupport . But since Axis has free fuel , they concentrate almost all Luftwaffe to support this mission . Greece will not hold long . But at least we can have a stand on Crete .

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kragdob »

If I were Axis you would have this CV and BB trapped and killed within 3 turns.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.
Finland1944
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Finland1944 »

Yes, they are doomed, but my secret adviser says that I should bet for more than 3 turns ;-)

I need some advice:
After my Stukas have to leave for their secret mission in north-east, how can I protect my Italian BBs against Brit subs? I'm going to have this problem for several years.
Finland1944
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Finland1944 »

About ending the campaign in France:
It was not the intention to offer Manstein, but when you attacked his ARM with your best units, you made them vulnerable to my further attack, and finally you didn't have them available to defend the city itself. If we look at the longer perspective, you were the winner of in France. My casualties were too high.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”