AAR: Supermax VS Vokt (No Vokt pls) Version 4.0

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: AAR: Supermax VS Vokt (No Vokt pls) Version 4.0

Post by supermax »

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

No garisson in Paris ? It has the possibilty to have partisan direct in there !
supermax

Post by supermax »

Morris wrote:No garisson in Paris ? It has the possibilty to have partisan direct in there !
I know it couldnt be helped all troops were railed around or used. I am busy on the eastern Front, cost a lot of rail points.

Calculated risk if you wish and not a biggie in the grand scheme of things
supermax

Post by supermax »

supermax

Post by supermax »

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

Good results in the North, although Vokt's decision to abandon the city seems strange. I expect that he will order a general withdrawal in the North now. It's interesting that he concentrated his forces in the South at the expense of the North, because the terrain favours the defender in the North, while the same is not true in the South. Usually losing Stalingrad is a relatively minor blow to the Soviets, while losing Moscow always hurts. The Soviets lose more PP, more rail points and more MP, while the Germans get additional supply range IIRC. Most of the time it's also harder to dislodge the Germans from the North than from the South.

I think that you should take Leningrad, too. It's worth as much as Stalingrad in terms of PPs and Leningrad's unique position means that in some games the Soviets don't even try to recapture it.
supermax

Post by supermax »

Cybvep wrote:Good results in the North, although Vokt's decision to abandon the city seems strange. I expect that he will order a general withdrawal in the North now. It's interesting that he concentrated his forces in the South at the expense of the North, because the terrain favours the defender in the North, while the same is not true in the South. Usually losing Stalingrad is a relatively minor blow to the Soviets, while losing Moscow always hurts. The Soviets lose more PP, more rail points and more MP, while the Germans get additional supply range IIRC. Most of the time it's also harder to dislodge the Germans from the North than from the South.

I think that you should take Leningrad, too. It's worth as much as Stalingrad in terms of PPs and Leningrad's unique position means that in some games the Soviets don't even try to recapture it.

Exactly my thoughts my friend. Hard to understand the strategy in a global sense, but on the tactical level, it does preserve the bulk of the Soviet forces (the relevant ones anyway).

I am definitly going for Leningrad now, as you can see i railed a mech and MTN unit and will concentrate there for the last 3-4 turns of good weather. My goal is to cleanup the north before winter so i can redeploy the frontal forces stationned there to bolster my lines facing east. Ideally i would take Yaroslav and the other city just north of it, to prevent russians from railing trops too close. In the center we are preparing to hold the line at all cost like we did last winter. We have a river and a strong position. Should be holding.

I also need a bit more fighters, only have 8 now. I need 5 more FTr in the west, but thats a pipe dream hey? another Armor for the west, a couple more MOT tehre as well and some italian / minors infantry. The rest goes to the eastern maelstrom.

Should be in a good position still in 1943, and will try to hold on to Moscow until winter 1944.
supermax

Post by supermax »

Cybvep wrote:Good results in the North, although Vokt's decision to abandon the city seems strange. I expect that he will order a general withdrawal in the North now. It's interesting that he concentrated his forces in the South at the expense of the North, because the terrain favours the defender in the North, while the same is not true in the South. Usually losing Stalingrad is a relatively minor blow to the Soviets, while losing Moscow always hurts. The Soviets lose more PP, more rail points and more MP, while the Germans get additional supply range IIRC. Most of the time it's also harder to dislodge the Germans from the North than from the South.

I also think that part of the undefended Moscow situation is because Vokt thought i was going for the oil and Stalingrad in the south.

As you know from the AAR, i never really had any intentions of doing so. In fact, i under-utilized my tanks and conserved my oil since i had no significant opposition in front of me during 41 barbarossa.

I'd wanted to destroy the russian army with a large outflanking manoever starting from The Smolensk area. Didnt achieve that goal,(lets just say it was ambitious hehehe, but luck favors the bold) but i will be able to prepare good positionning for the 43 winter and summer campaign. Should i build more tanks or should i keep a defensive/offensive mentality in 43?

Remains to be seen, i will decide depending on the outcome of summer 42 campaign (if i can clearup the north).

I need to be in Yaroslav when the bad weather hits and ideally the swatiska float atop Leningrad (but not the end of the world if i dont achieve this and with the battles ahead it will drop the city's production to 0 anyway, which is my main goal for that attack anyway (i already have rail access t Finland via Petrozavdsk).
supermax

Post by supermax »

Carlos_Danger
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Carlos_Danger »

You have only to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.
duncanr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by duncanr »

the Russians look doomed, yet it never ceases to amaze me how fast the Germans can go backwards

two things of interest for me are how many casualties have the Germans taken and exactly what is the strength of the Red air force?
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

nice encircle move in Northern Russia !! :)
supermax

Post by supermax »

Carlos_Danger wrote:You have only to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.
Mmmmm not really sure about that. The russians have not lost any important units like a ftr or an armor. I think vokt has done a good job of keeping the red army intact. Not once he has played recklessly.

The center front will be a hard thing to hold in the winter, i anticipate high casualities to keep myself on the river line. Retreating from there would mean loosing moscow, which strategically i am not willing to do. I will trade cannon fodder for a 43 strategic position.

Not sure how things will look like next year with allies poised to land and russians might want to get bold and send itself on the defensive. But one thong is sure is that i jight have an oportunity in thenortn via gorki and beyound yaroslav ( and infantry and cavalry offensive)
supermax

Post by supermax »

supermax

Post by supermax »

supermax

Post by supermax »

supermax

Post by supermax »

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid »

Bombing city before dropping paratroopers there actually does anything good?
supermax

Post by supermax »

It works for me! :)
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Remember to keep units in Belomorsk so you have the rail line to Murmansk cut-off. So no convoys to USSR during winter weather. If you capture Archangel then the Russians won't get convoys at all (even in good weather) and the convoys will be directed to UK instead.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”