Will Field of Glory PC help me learn the tabletop game?

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

reynorpadilla
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Will Field of Glory PC help me learn the tabletop game?

Post by reynorpadilla » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:16 am

I'm very interested in playing the Field of Glory tabletop game. I've had the core rulebook for about a year, but I've never been able to find anyone to play with. And I find the rulebook hard to understand. The system is so much different from Warhammer Fantasy -- the wargame I know best.

If I played Field of Glory for the PC would it help me to learn the core mechanics of the game i.e. how combat works, etc? After playing it would I be more familiar with the rules for the tabletop game? I understand, of course, that the PC game will help me learn strategy and tactics. But I long to learn the mechanics of Field of Glory.

SRW1962
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by SRW1962 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:40 am

The tabletop version may seem a little daunting at first glance, but when you get to play them you will soon find that they are a very easy to use set of rules. I have had the table top version since they came out and I am unsure whether the pc version really teaches you anything about the tabletop version really. I would probably try to set up a few units and then go through the basics such as movement firing and melee by myself to learrn the basic mechanics of the game, before trying out a battle.

petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by petergarnett » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 am

Easier to have someone at a club or show teach you. The rules for TT are not that different but with the PC version the system has done a lot of the work for you, i.e. figured out movement costs & combat odds.

But if a face-to-face game is not possible for you then myself & I'm sure others but play both would teach you via the PC version.

deeter
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by deeter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:24 pm

The combat mechanics are pretty much identical, so in that respect you can learn something about troop interactions. And you can try out different armies without having to paint them.

Deeter

lpgamble
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lpgamble » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Reynorpadilla,

When learing the TT game, Print out the turn sequence (this was the biggest help to me)
Once someone helps you through how to move evaders, all the POA interactions, and when to test moral it gets a lot easier.

In the computer game you can turn on the console (T and H turn off with U key) and a Preview (P I think) of the POA's. The console will show you all the die rolls and the POA will help you see why you are losing some of the battles.

The big difference in TT and Comp is in TT you move all the units and then start resolving Shooting, Impact, Combats.

reynorpadilla

Post by reynorpadilla » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:14 am

Hmmm... that does sound pretty good.

So the armies behave identically in the tabletop game as they do on the PC? I mean I know on the PC you move, shoot, impact and combat with each unit one at a time. But the other mechanics must dictate that the units work against and with each other in the same way.

I think I'll download it -- especially knowing that there such nice people to play against.

So does that mean I can play with you guys online. I mean do you have the same screen names?

Thanks!

Reynor

lpgamble

Post by lpgamble » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Most have the same screen names.

Evade and breaking off work a little differently sometimes manly because the hexes limit the ability to leave gaps for troops to run through.

I play the computer game way more than the TT game. Its always there and you can play a turn at a time if you want.

petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by petergarnett » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:30 pm

When you have d'loaded it just post here & one of us will happily play a starter battle & guide you.

reynorpadilla

Post by reynorpadilla » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:58 pm

I've downloaded the game and I've been fighting my way through some Galls. Actually I think they are fighting their way through me :P Anyways, my username is reynorpadilla. Would love to play!

I really like the PBeM feature too!

Reynor

petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by petergarnett » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:38 am

If you goto multiplyer and accept chalenge you should see one from me (PeterGarnett) for Starter Battle One. Password is Peter1.

We can use this to cover most of the game basics.

ScipioTerra
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ScipioTerra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:48 pm

I too thought it would be a nice copy of the TT rules.

I've gotten to the point where I don't care so much that it isn't a true copy. I'm having too much fun now that I have the time for it.

Rick

BrigPaul
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BrigPaul » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Quick answer is no.

Key elements of the TT rules are not part of the PC game - as a TT to PC convert i'd say biggest change for me is LF being able to charge LH frontally allowing them to tag LH so they can't evade from who ever happens to charge next. On TT this isn't allowed. Numerous other significant differences...

Paul (Loving both games)

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by smaul1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:32 pm

I was a little disappointed that the PC game didn't have the maneuver elements of the TT game, unless I'm not understanding, I don't see how to form a "battle line" or there is no wheeling or CMT's

I'm brand new to the TT game.

this game to me is just OK, but perhaps it was because I was hoping for a replica of the tabletop game with the PC version.

when you have a battle-group of 8 stands of Gauls on the table crashing into 4 stands or Roman Heavy infantry, it just plays much different than every unit occupying a hex.

maybe I just dont know the PC game as well so Ill keep giving it a chance, but Ive lost some interest.

I dont have ROR yet, does that make any changes to this stuff or ??????

Not trying to be a buzz kill here, just sharing my thoughts, and if Im missing something, feel free to let me know.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Those are areas we'd like to look at to give more of a command and control feel such as battlelines but currently they do not exist in the PC version other than the need to support other units through combat and morale factors. These are very important but not as explicit as the differences of a battleline on TT.

I'd like a way to do group moves but the UI for this present various issues.

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by smaul1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:55 pm

I certainly appreciate the reply and insight

My problem is I had my heart set on a digital version of the rules. My disappointment would be with that. I would not saying the game on its own is bad just to clarify, I certainly dont want to take away from all its good points as a computer game.

Im pretty new to both the TT and computer game, and very new to the forums, so Ill keep lurking.

thanks again for the response.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 am

Sorry if that is what you expected but we have tried to be very clear from the start that this was never the intention. It would have been very dull and fiddly to play!

smaul1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by smaul1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:31 pm

I had asked on the Matrix forums if it was just like the TT game and I got a yes from a player over there, so in my haste I downloaded a copy immediately.

Just to clarify I never felt like Slitherine portrayed it that way, so my bad, I should have done more research. I played it again yesterday a bit, and will continue to.

I appreciate the apology, but I don't think you guys have anything to apologize for really, Im not that upset, just brooding a little over it not being exactly the same, and I can understand a bit why it is not after reading more, as always appreciate the time you guys take to respond.

SRW1962
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by SRW1962 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Having played the TT version since it game out and then having played the PC version since it came out I can appreciate the differences but also commend how faithful it is to the TT version. I actually see no problem at all in using both for playing games either one off games or campaign games. All my wargaming buddies are hooked by the pc version and have either bought it or going to buy it and for the sole purpose of campaigns etc.

At the WMMS 2010 over the weekend I bought a very large amount of Eastern European medieval figures and my mate bought an Ottoman army to fight against them, these were Kallistra 10/12mm figures and after some thought we have actually decided to base them on standard 40mm wide FOG TT bases (used for 15mm) with approx double the amount of figures and make some terrain covered with 2 inch hexagons. This is directly as a result of playing the pc version as we feel that the look and simplicity of moving units in hexes is better than having to measure with a tape etc. The ammendment to the TT rules are simply to convert the movement rates to hexes and firing ranges also to hexes and allow the units to be smaller than the TT version lists (mostly 4 bases) other than that the rules will be unchanged. All this means is that we will have quicker TT battles as movement is easier to do etc. Although this won't be to many peoples taste, we are a small group and don't play in competitions anyway so for us it is a logicaL step forward in our gaming experience.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”