What is with skirmishers?

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Mercutio
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

What is with skirmishers?

Post by Mercutio » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:57 pm

While I am enjoying the game, the drives me nuts.

I find it hard to believe men on foot can outrun horses to evade. A skirmisher can move 4 or 5 hexes on their turn, then evade for the same number of hexes, then move right back again the next turn. This essentially means they can move farther than cavalry, which is a bit silly. It seems they should at least be disrupted and maybe retreat only a couple of squares and certainly lose a few troops. IMHO Cavalry was always a skirmisher killer except in woods or rough terrain and should be here as well.

ScipioTerra
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ScipioTerra » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:55 am

Good Point about skirmishers and cavalry. A ridden horse can always out-run someone on foot. I guess it all depends upon how far away the skirmishers are away from the cavalry when it all begins. If the skirmishers have plenty of time to evade then that speaks for itself, but if the cavalry is close by like two hexes, I'd say cavalry has a good chance of catching them.

One question is does cavalry ever catch skirmishers?

Morbio
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Morbio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:00 pm

A lot of good points here, and many have been discussed at length (see viewtopic.php?t=15452). I think a majority of people who have replied agree with the broad sentiments you are raising. Where there is a little more disagreement is perhaps how this should be resolved... but there are some good suggestions - feel free to add your own.

I get the feeling that Slitherine are seriously looking to see if they can address this.

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:07 am

One thing to keep in mind is that those pesky skirmishers probably started to hoof it as soon as the cav started to head in their direction. The way the game depicts and the TT is not much different although I think it handles the chasing evaders better, is not what is actually going on. Skirmishers don't stand there till the horses run up and then bugger off, they were probably running as soon as those horses turned in their direction. Even on the TT its hard to catch skirmishers, but it can be done or you might just run into something heavier that wont run away.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”