Camps

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Camps

Post by cothyso »

What's the exact purpose of camps, why should someone include them into an army? Are they giving any kind of bonuses or pluses?

And which are the penalties for losing them?
arsan
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by arsan »

Hi!

All DAG armies must have a camp, and its free. What you can pay for is for upgrading the camp to fortified camp (roman armies are forced to include and pay for this upgrade by the way).
A normal camp will fall to any enemy unit adjacent to it, usually in one or two turns. Then the camp will disappear and you will lost 10% of you total break points (since the new 1.2.8 patch, before it was just 2 points).
Fortified camps must first be broken in before being taken by an enemy, which takes some time, specially if the attacking unit is cavalry.
More info here
http://www.hexwar.com/field-of-glory/he ... camps.aspx

Cheers
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

I don't remember the editor forcing me to get one when creating new armies in it.

Also, if there's no bonus from it, but only penalties if you'll lose it, why add it in at all?!! capturing an enemy camp during a battle wasn't common in antiquity, a fistful of battles maybe..
petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by petergarnett »

cothyso wrote:I don't remember the editor forcing me to get one when creating new armies in it.

Also, if there's no bonus from it, but only penalties if you'll lose it, why add it in at all?!! capturing an enemy camp during a battle wasn't common in antiquity, a fistful of battles maybe..
Nothing to do with antiquity. IMO it's a modern trend to have them - go back a good few years & you'd never see them on the TT. Lots of things were better then, figures were fewer so easier to choose, bread was cheaper, I wasn't up all night playing on the PC, no kids, no overdraft, etc etc :evil:

There are I believe plenty of examples where commanders had to leave some troops to defend camps even if sacking camps was uncommon. Personally I think it's a distraction wargames don't need. I can't imagine every tactical WWII game having a supply dump on the battlefield you had to protect.

However I suspect I'm in a minority.
Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii »

Dont worry petergarnett you are not alone, me to hate camps more now because lose a camp with a "small" army is psss and bigger armies can distract troops (poor units) to cover it when you with romans and macedonians cant do it and dont talk about implementation in FoG, take a camp means less morale to loser BUT means that attacker lose the troops sent to do this job because booooty!!! AAAARRRR :wink: take a camp affect loser morale but means that attacker send troops that have near 90% chance to not return to the battlefield (they are now a mob that even a LF unit can destroy) and take a camp with a 500 LF unit is so :lol: we talk about 1.500 or more soldiers to do it and need more than 1-2 turns to do it.

For me add an option that made camps optional in DAG is necessary because i play this tactical game for battle not to play covering my camp.

PD: in other games you need cover supply sources but we talk about operational games (like HPS or AGEOD) or tactical games with operational features (Close Combat for example, you need cover the conexion flag to other scenario to have your BG supplied but we talk about that you can fight many times in the same map and FoG dont have a campaign in the game).
arsan

Post by arsan »

cothyso wrote:I don't remember the editor forcing me to get one when creating new armies in it.

You mean the scenario editor?? on scenarios you can choose whatever you want.
But on DAG (Digital army generator) battles (you need Rise of Rome expansion to get them), the ones you are given an amount of point to buy yourself an army, you will always have a camp when you deploy for battle. It will be a Standard camp unless you paid for a fortified one on the buy screen.
I like having camps on the battle... it's a nice little addition. But honestly, they rarely come into play on my games. Usually the battles ends in turn 8 or 9, so you don't even need to protect them. (i rarely fight against LH armies, which may be the reason my camp rarely gets looted)
Maybe now that they are more valuable they can come into play more.
Cheers

PD: a little tip that took dozens of battles for me to notice: on DAG battles deployment phase, you can actually redeploy your camp... usually to the best protected spot on your side of the map... like behind your main battle line.
CaptainHuge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CaptainHuge »

Personally, I like the camps. They provide another objective to the battle that makes it more interesting. I have seen supply dumps added to WWII tactical games for just this purpose. Other ancients rules (i.e. DBA) use camps to good affect as well. All a matter of preference I suppose.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”