Pet hates and etequette

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

little
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Pet hates and etequette

Post by little » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi all,

My first post on the forum. But grateful for some advice on etiquette.

My view is that if you have accepted a game, or issued a challenge, you have to see the game through to the end. Even if you know your army is going down, or you have no hope. The other chap has invested a lot of time and effort in seeing his plan come to fruition and should have the satisfaction of seeing it through to completion (plus you can learn a lot in a defeat). To be fair, the vast majority of my opponents do this whichever way the game is going.

For me though, people resigning early because it is not working out for them or the fates are against them really gets on my goat. I only run about 8 - 10 games at a time. And I also have to spend time and effort in working out deployment and a plan (yeah yeah, those who have faced me will blink at that), as well as commitment to the game in progress. But I feel that I am deprived of fun or social opponents for the more tournament types of opponents when this happens. It is also really dissatisfying when the game comes to an abrupt end (those fates don't get a chance to come into play again - either for or against you - and you lose the challenge / panic of watching your masterplan unravel as the enemy recovers). This isn't so much a problem when picking up challenges (you know them from previous games, or are willing to face new opponents), but sometimes I give out a groan when I see the name of someone accepting a challenge (And this is really the minority!) as I know that if it looks like I will be winning in 3 or 4 turns they will just resign (so why bother going through with the hassle of deploying and commiting yourself to a game).

So the big question is: am I right that you should always see the game to the conclusion, or am I missing the point in that the turn there is no hope you should resign, give the other chap the victory, and move on??

Happy for thoughts on this.

deeter
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by deeter » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Resigning because you're losing is for sissies. I never resign and neither do most other players.

Deeter

CheerfullyInsane
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:37 pm

I've resigned one game in my time, and that one was out of sheer frustration/disgust with my die-rolling. IIRC I had 2/3 of my line decide to run simultaneously due to a string of 1s and 2s, and admittedly my temper got the better of me. :oops:

Other than that, I'd say you play through, come spears or enemy cats in your rear.
Or at least have the courtesy of asking your opponent if he thinks the game is worth playing to its inevitable end.

Besides which, having your defense picked apart by someone who is a better player than you, is the equivalent of free lessons.
So there's naught to do but grin and bear it. (although in my case you may have to put up with copious whining) :wink:

Lars
I've got two words for ya: Math is hard.

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 am

I don't need to resign because I never lose :lol:

gazxtrix
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by gazxtrix » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:12 am

I resign at the first casualty. Theirs or mine. I cant stand the sight of blood.

But seriously, It certainly happens on occasion but not a lot, and I think the resigner should have the courtesy to flag his intention.

I have also offerred to allow my opponent the opportunity to fall on his own sword, which he promptly did.

A little bit of Communication can help here I think.

On another point, a comment area on the challenge battles would make match ups easier ie "only want to face melee army"
"will be slow turnaround", "posted 3pm GMT with 3 hrs to play " .

Gary

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 am

I hate when my opponents are picking their noses while I'm taking my turn... Not sure if just a bad habit on their part , or if they are purposefully trying to distract me.

Xiggy

Post by Xiggy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:31 am

I hate people that hold your game hostage. Doing 1 turn every 2 weeks. I just assume resign then becasue it is a waste of a slot. But you cant until they do a turn.

claymore58
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by claymore58 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:05 am

TheGrayMouser wrote:I hate when my opponents are picking their noses while I'm taking my turn... Not sure if just a bad habit on their part , or if they are purposefully trying to distract me.
Ha, a draw-back of modern technology. Who invented those web camie things anyway? Or is just the noise you can hear :o

CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:22 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:I hate when my opponents are picking their noses while I'm taking my turn... Not sure if just a bad habit on their part , or if they are purposefully trying to distract me.
Look on the bright side.
Least they're not picking your nose.

CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:25 pm

gazxtrix wrote:I resign at the first casualty. Theirs or mine. I cant stand the sight of blood.
So......
You were playing blindfolded when you repeatedly slaughtered my armies? :shock:

The force is strong with this one..... 8)

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:44 pm

CheerfullyInsane wrote:
Look on the bright side.
Least they're not picking your nose.
That would be ok, then I would have 2 hands to scratch with.

gazxtrix
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by gazxtrix » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:29 am

CheerfullyInsane wrote:
gazxtrix wrote:I resign at the first casualty. Theirs or mine. I cant stand the sight of blood.
So......
You were playing blindfolded when you repeatedly slaughtered my armies? :shock:

The force is strong with this one..... 8)
I managed to avert my eyes at the critical moments...

little

Post by little » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Hang on a minute.... If the grey mouser can see me picking my nose on his turn, does that mean he can also seee my rude finger gestures when my superior cavalry breaks aainst his medium javilnmen?????

CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:55 am

little wrote:Hang on a minute.... If the grey mouser can see me picking my nose on his turn, does that mean he can also seee my rude finger gestures when my superior cavalry breaks aainst his medium javilnmen?????
Yes.
Although TGM is such a polite and gentle man, that he probably doesn't know what they mean. :wink:

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:40 pm

CheerfullyInsane wrote:
little wrote:Hang on a minute.... If the grey mouser can see me picking my nose on his turn, does that mean he can also seee my rude finger gestures when my superior cavalry breaks aainst his medium javilnmen?????
Yes.
Although TGM is such a polite and gentle man, that he probably doesn't know what they mean. :wink:

Rude finger gestures? I though he was counting how many battle groups he just lost that round :D

Chillimaster
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Chillimaster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 am

This can really get my get goat. You get a nice historical matchup, out deploy yoour opponent, and get set to spring the trap! And your opponent resigns after three turns, without having had so much as unit disrupted!! Not even a sorry... :(

Thats just plain rude.

Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Ironclad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Chillimaster wrote:This can really get my get goat. You get a nice historical matchup, out deploy yoour opponent, and get set to spring the trap! And your opponent resigns after three turns, without having had so much as unit disrupted!! Not even a sorry... :(

Thats just plain rude.
Too true. Even worse when dozens of games later you accept a game with the same person having forgotten that he was the one who last pulled this stunt and he does it again! Then you remember. Infuriating.

Xiggy

Post by Xiggy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm

The solution to that is write his name down and never challenge him again. A lot of people resign because of the terrain selection. I have not done that yet, but boy have I been tempted.

Morbio
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Morbio » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Xiggy wrote:The solution to that is write his name down and never challenge him again. A lot of people resign because of the terrain selection. I have not done that yet, but boy have I been tempted.
Ditto!

deeter

Post by deeter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:22 pm

I have a mental list of such people, but happily it only has a few names. I've also been lucky in that these people haven't accepted my challenges since.

Deeter

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”