What else are people playing?

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

CheerfullyInsane
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

What else are people playing?

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Wargamers being what they are, I'm fairly sure all of us are playing a lot more strategy games than just FoG.
And aside from sheer interest, I have two ulterior motives for this thread. ;)

1. Strategy games, being something of a niche product, tend to be developed by minor companies.
So there's always a chance that I'm missing out on some gem of a game.
2. Having poked a toe into the multi-player world with FoG, I figured there'd be a chance to pick up a few opponents for other games as well.
Granted, most games have forums of their own, but many of these are inactive/defunct.
Besides, I like the people I've met in here so why move to another venue? :D

So without further ado, here's what I'm playing besides FoG (links added where applicable)
Should your tastes run in the same vein, feel free to contact me for a MP game in any of them.

Actively playing:
Gary Grigsby's War in the East.
SSG's Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets.
SSG's Across the Dnepr 2nd Ed.
John Tillers Campaign Series.
Battlefronts Combat Mission: Shock Force (+ expansions)
Battlefronts CM: Afghanistan

Also on my HD, but not played regularly:
AGEod's American Civil War
AGEod's Napoleons Campaigns
Gary Grigsby's War between the States
Down in Flames+Eastern Front Expansion
Panzer Command: Kharkov
Virtual Advanced Squad Leader
CM: Afrika Korps
CM: Barbarossa to Berlin

On the horizon (as in planned purchases):
Combat Mission: Battles for Normandy (drooool!)
Panzer Command: Ostfront

Add to that a sh*tload of HPS Panzer Campaigns. These are only for solo-play however, since the AI is ludicrous, and I can't see myself playing a 200+ turn campaign game by E-mail in any of them *LOL*

So....
What are you guys playing?

Lars
I've got two words for ya: Math is hard.

Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Your list is almost a duplicate of mine--at least for wargames. With all your posts, I thought you only played FoG!

I would add Distant Worlds/Return of the Shakari, which is the WitE of 4x games.
Flashpoint Germany is old but still on my list
Call me crazy, but I still like the Supreme Ruler series

I was disappointed in the AGEOD games vs. the AI. Especially, Napoleon, very unrealistic stuff going on, i.e., I'm at Borodino and AI army is attacking near Memel area.

BA single and MP is good too.

Best to you!

Morbio
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Morbio » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm just playing Medieval II Total War when not playing FoG.

The AI is poor, but when ramped up to the highest settings it sets some interesting challenges... simply because everyone attacks and it's hard to build an economy when all money goes into replacing troops.

I'm working my way through the countries (currently playing Egypt) and the chance of winning with the eastern countries is highly dependent on where the Mongols and the Timurids appear!

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:02 am

Hmm, active is a tough term but hear it goes:

JT Campaign Series Matrix
Steel Panthers MBT WW2 Shrapnel
Horse and Musket Matrix
Renassaince HPS
Med Total War 2 CA (actually would rather be playing Rome TW but unistalled and have not enough hd space left)

games i should be playing but just havent had time to dive into
Crown of Glory EE Matrix
Punic Wars HPS (fog's mp and broad scope have put this one on the back burner)
Operational Art of War 3

games I should/ will purchase:
Les Grognards Histwar: methinks need new PC to run although the demo works reasonably well.
the new East front Combat mission type game matrix is soon to be putting out
Panzer general/Commander WW1 due from Slitherine
Fog Ren (had to slip it in there)

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 am

BTW guys, I somehow have an extra copy of HPS Southern Front. First one to PM me gets it!

Be warned though, the CD needs to stay in the drive. For some people, that's a deal breaker.

Finir
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Finir » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:54 am

Hi :)
yes the most games are also on my harddisk :) Nice.

Here is another small multiplayer game "Empires of Steel" It's a fast playing and amusing :)

Otherwise over several years i playing the games of the John Tiller Series ... currently Gettyburg ...

Oh yes, i am missing one other great wargame on your list. Gary Grigsbys War in the Pacific. A great game but very detailed :)

And furthermore a large number of really nice boardgames but that's another story :)

petran1978
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by petran1978 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:18 am

Actually only FOG and Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank & WWII from Shrapnel :D

claymore58
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by claymore58 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:20 am

I am actively playing ....

Distant Worlds (havn't got bthe expansion as yet)
Battlefield Academy (again, no expansion)
Commander Europe at War Gold
WW1 Gold
Julius Caesar (still enjoy this game, esp. the hand that removes the figures)
Victoria Empire under the Sun (the original)
Rome Total War (EB mod)

Learning to play ...
Empires in Arms

Thanks more than enough to keep me off the streets :)

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 am

I have them all the time on my HDD (all 3 Great Battles Collector's Edition, all 4 Ancient Warfare and both Tin Soldiers ones, coupled with a demo of Hannibal Rme and Carthage and History Egypt). And lots of other ones too (Myth 1,2 &3, Starcraft 1&2, Heroes of Newerth, Eve online, Wings of Prey, Mafia 2, The Fall Last Days of Gaia, Planescape Torment, TES4 Oblivion and Gothic 3), yet between work (game development), ancient history documentation and work on my own AWG project (Ancient Warfare tactical Game), I don't have time to play anything :(

Combat Mission series are very, very good, I've played them from the beginning (operation overlord one) but stopped when they've got to the modern era.

amenofi64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by amenofi64 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 pm

FOG, SPWW2 (Shrapnel) and Histwar Les Grognards.

CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Rosseau wrote:With all your posts, I thought you only played FoG!
Good lord no.
FoG is actually a bit of a deviation in my case. I rarely ever delve outside 20th century wargaming, aside from the odd occurence of Nappy and ACW.
Also one of the reasons I've never tried Distant Worlds. I know it's gotten rave reviews, and with all the modding going on, it apparently has a rabid following. But there's something about Sci-fi games that just leaves me utterly cold.
To each his own I guess.
Rosseau wrote:BTW guys, I somehow have an extra copy of HPS Southern Front. First one to PM me gets it!

Be warned though, the CD needs to stay in the drive. For some people, that's a deal breaker.
Only for the time being. HPS' has finally come to the realization that they shot themselves in the foot with the CD-check, so they're in the process of removing them from all their games. Currently they're gone from PzC Bulge, Normandy and Budapest, and they're adding more as/when the games get patched. Now if they'd only get into the 21st century and allow digital downloads of their games, I'd be buying a lot more from them *LOL*
Ah well, it'll be interesting to see if HPS survives now that Tiller has gone solo.
Anyway if no-one has grabbed it yet, do so. It's a great series, though not without its own particular quirks.
Finir wrote:Oh yes, i am missing one other great wargame on your list. Gary Grigsbys War in the Pacific. A great game but very detailed
Not only 'No', but 'Hell no!'
I don't mind detailed games (I love WitE for instance), and maybe it's just because I have little interest in the Pacific, but I still maintain that any game that requires you to use spreadsheets and flowcharts to figure out a strategy......
That's not a game, that's a second job ;)
Besides which, has anyone ever finished the campaign-game in that one?

But it's nice to see that Steel Panthers still clogs peoples hard-drives up. *LOL*
I used to spend a ton of hours on that series, but my interest in it has waned.
Not because it isn't a good system, because it surely is. But simply because the Combat Mission series has spoiled just about every other tactical game for me.
CM is about as close to having a holy grail that I get. The only reason the Campaign Series is still around is that I occasionally get a craving for pushing something a little bigger than a battalion around.

But it interesting to see that most people are still playing 'old' games.
Steel Panthers, Victoria, Campaign Series, Total War, Tin Soldiers.......
I guess wargamers are less fickle than the console crowd. Well......Either that, or we're simply too lazy to shop around ;)
Finir wrote:And furthermore a large number of really nice boardgames but that's another story
Indeed. I'm still the proud owner of some 50+ AH/VG/SPI games.
Hell, I've even stuck a tentative toe into miniature gaming with Ambush Alley and ATZ.
Though I have to admit that my painting skills leave something (quite a lot of something) to be desired :oops:

Lars
I've got two words for ya: Math is hard.

mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:58 pm

I don't even have the time to play FOG! I would like to try HistWars Napoleonic game, but thought it was not available yet in USA. I also am interested in Horse and Musket. Anything past the ACW era I lose interest.

Has anyone tried the Hawks Online Gaming Club? The web site is www.mastersofthefiled.com. The U-tube videos of game play look very impressive.

mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:00 pm

That website is www.mastersofthefield.com.

Gersen

Post by Gersen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Play daily:

FOG

Play occasionally:

Hearts of Iron 2 and most derivatives - in particular Arsenal of Democracy.
Hearts of Iron 3 and Semper Fi.

Sitting on Hard Disk:

Commander - Europe at War, but it just does not compare to HOI - sorry Slitherine.
The entire Total War Series bar the last one. Played to death.
Europa Universalis 2 & 3. Just could get into them.
Take Command - Manassas 1 & 2. Played to death.
Aegod's ACW - hated almost every aspect of it.

Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:24 pm

-World of tanks, damn, is addictive :twisted:

-FOG, yep, i am with army tests but is only a way to kill time until LT beta arrive... TIC TAC TIC TAC hehehe.

And a few of Nap/REN/PzC from HPS... well, now Tillergames and others but a little.

PD: TIC TAC TIC TAC :wink:

Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Ironclad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Gersen wrote:Commander - Europe at War, but it just does not compare to HOI - sorry Slitherine.
Try CEAW with the Grand Strategy expansion which has turned it into a really great game (for pbem) and the forthcoming GS v2.0 update is full of new goodies.

Chock
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Chock » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Playing lots of things, Rome Total War, Legions Arena, Tin Soldiers JC etc, and patiently awaiting Legions Triumphant of course.

Al

Xiccarph

Post by Xiccarph » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:09 am

FOG Digital, Civiliization V, Lord of the Rings Online, take up all my game time.

hidde
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by hidde » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Nothing else :D
Is almost true. Played a lot of BA when it was released but much less now. Still thinks it's a fun game, though. Some casual gaming with games like Guardians of Graxia, Puzzle Quest, Peggle...
It bugs me because I have so many games waiting to be played. My problem(apart from FOG is too good) is I'm very slow. A complicated turn in FOG can take me 30-60min to complete :shock:
Been trying to start Mass Effect2 but since I like to immerse myself totally when playing such games I would have to put FOG on hold for at least a couple of weeks.
Very unlikely to happen now with LT comming soon and all! And Panzer Corps...
When the new Civil War game from Western Civilization Software is released it can be a contender for my time as well.

jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Mostly FoG with a little Fallout: New Vegas.

But that will change dramatically when the following finally arrive:

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy
Panzer Command: Ostfront

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”