Which expansion to buy next?

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

blastpop
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Which expansion to buy next?

Post by blastpop » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:28 pm

I have the base FoG and Rise of Rome.

Based on what is currently available for other expansions, what ONE expansion that is currently available will give me the most options and add overall value to the game. The new Legions Triumphant Roman expansion looks like it might be a natural to get since I have Rise of Rome. It is a $5.00 less too, so that is a bit of an inducement. All the other expansions interest me as well.

Which one would you get and maybe why?

Comments?

Gersen
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Gersen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:21 pm

A purely subjective response; but I like Immortal Fire the best: very interesting and varied armies. Swords and Scimitars is fun, but a trifle limited in scope. I have got on least well with Storm of Arrows.

deeter
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by deeter » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 pm

I second Gersen. Immortal Fire is the best of the expansions, in my opinion. Legions Triumphant is very similar to RoR, so I'm not picking that one up. S and S is pretyy fun. SoA less so, unless you're really interested in the period.

Deeter

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Well, I love SOA so Gersen and Deeter are wrong!! :lol: :lol:

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:09 pm

stockwellpete wrote:Well, I love SOA so Gersen and Deeter are wrong!! :lol: :lol:

I second that, cant wait for EE to round out the 14/15th centuries.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:16 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
stockwellpete wrote:Well, I love SOA so Gersen and Deeter are wrong!! :lol: :lol:

I second that, cant wait for EE to round out the 14/15th centuries.
Oh yes - I am really looking forward to that one too. :D

grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Which expansion to buy next?

Post by grumblefish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:51 am

blastpop wrote:I have the base FoG and Rise of Rome.
The new Legions Triumphant Roman expansion looks like it might be a natural to get since I have Rise of Rome. It is a $5.00 less too, so that is a bit of an inducement...

Wait, where is the $5 off? I was going to buy LT, but I was a bit miffed that there was no sale like there was when the other expansions were released. If it's on sale I might well go pick it up.

Anyway, I've got all the expansion packs except for LT (although I was in the LT beta, just waiting for a sale before I buy it). If you want variety, get Immortal Fire. Culturally, you have armies from Carthage in the far west to India in the far east, and Egypt in the south to all the little pew-pew arrow men around the black sea in the north. The actual way they fight is very diverse, too; you get a giant cast of units ranging from chariots to your meat and potatoes hoplite infantryman. The Egyptian army is much different from the Spartan one, Alexander the Great and the Diadochoi all have great combined-arms forces.

The only time I'd recommend getting a different expansion pack is when someone is really interested in a particular time period. Obviously, if you want longbowmen then get storm of arrows. Similarly, if you really liked Rise of Rome and want some action in ancient britain then go for Legions Triumphant.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:52 am

It is on sale - it is $19.99 until Thursday.

blastpop
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by blastpop » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:16 pm

iainmcneil wrote:It is on sale - it is $19.99 until Thursday.
That may answer the question right there - plus I really do like the Roman period a good deal.

petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by petergarnett » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm d'loading LT at the moment so if you go for it blastpop let me know if you're up for a challenge.

Adraeth
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Adraeth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:38 pm

I have all the add ons, and i believe i will buy all of them for i like the game system.

I have Legions Triumphant just from yesterday so i can't really talk about it, anyway for the others i prefer Storm of Arrows ... i like knights, crossbows... pikes and armour :D

But, if you prefer classical age, Immortal Fire is a beautiful add on with (as always) many armies and superb painted armies

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”