FOG Digital R , REN & REN II

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 »

While waiting for FOG R If your interested in wargaming the battles of the Renaissance you might want to have a look at the HPS “The Renaissance” title or REN for short. This has scenarios and campaigns covering the 1490’s to the 1600’s set in Europe and the Middle East. Also the game is very straightforward to make mod’s for.

Over the Last 9 months I have been working on an expansion mod for the game called REN II. Details of the progress of this along with screenshots and the first beta version with a fully playable scenario can be viewed ? downloaded form my website at

http://snapupwargames.weebly.com/

The original REN had graphics support for 15 armies / factions and shipped with 110 unit images and 288 leader images. My mod which is about half finished will provide graphics for 80+ armies. I am currently finishing the unit and leader graphics for the second beta release which will include 650+ unit portraits and 500 + leader ones.

When finished the mod will extend the scope of the game to cover armies and wars in Africa , Central Asia, the Far East and South America. If I can work out a way to represent Elephants in the game it will be extended to look at South Asia as well.

If you would like to get involved in the project and contribute scenarios using the new graphics to future releases of the mod (for which you would be fully credited) I would love to hear from you. I could let you have pre release copies of the mod to work on scenario design in advance of these being made generally available.

There a are lot of very good user designed scenarios for the Renaissance time period in FOG that would bear conversion to REN II. Perhaps some of their designers might want to produce versions of them. Hopefully down the line when and if FOG R comes out we can return the favour and convert REN scenarios for it.

Kind regards
Ian
PS to give you an idea of the look of the mod attached is a screenshot of the first part of the “units” file.
Attachments
Jan Units Part 1.jpg
Jan Units Part 1.jpg (238.71 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
Hoplite1963

Re: FOG Digital R , REN & REN II

Post by Hoplite1963 »

And the second part.
Attachments
Jan Units Part 2.jpg
Jan Units Part 2.jpg (241.17 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Now the third part
Attachments
Jan Units Part 3.jpg
Jan Units Part 3.jpg (217.41 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Here is the latest section of the part of the “leaders file” dealing with generic leaders to be added. Note I have made a start on Lat Medieval Balkan armies.
Attachments
2nd March 2013 BB part 1.jpg
2nd March 2013 BB part 1.jpg (78.64 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Finally here is the part of the leader file (starting at slot 600) reserved for particular personalities.

The mod comes with detailed MS Word tables giving the slot number and description of every unit and leader portrait and separate contents summery documents to help scenario designers find their way round these tables.
Attachments
2nd March 2013 SL&F.jpg
2nd March 2013 SL&F.jpg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
cromlechi
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by cromlechi »

Great work on the graphics. I've played lots of HPS stuff in the past and it's very good. I'm still getting to grips with all the offerings from Slitherine though so wouldn't have time to explore further manufacturers at the moment. I do like the 2d graphics though, some of the stuff done by Ironx on Squad battles was amazing as well if you ever saw it before he destroyed the lot.
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi cromechi
Many thanks. Yes I have seen and have all the IronX mods. It’s a great shame that he and HPS fell out. No danger of that happening here as I have a good working relationship with HPS / John Tiller Software in general and Richard Hamilton in particular.

Regards
Ian
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

I have just published a large blog post showcasing the 160 (mostly Balkan) unit portraits recently added to my REN II mod over at

http://snapupwargames.weebly.com/

This also includes a quick review of the contents of the “units” file, and an illustrated summery of the new unit types the mod adds to the basic REN game . Finally it also flags up that Elephants are slated for inclusion in the next but one release.

Enjoy
Ian
Aryaman
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Aryaman »

Is there any plan to modify the way the game works in REN II? I am particularly concern with artillery and ZOC rules that pretty much killed the game before as a Renaissance simulation
TomBombadil711
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by TomBombadil711 »

What happened to this mod, has it ever been finished? Looks so good.
Struan
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Struan »

I was wondering the same thing. Were the files ever made available? The images look really good.
kwun666

Post by kwun666 »

The link is dead...
Attachments
chrome_WCjeSUqQ4g.png
chrome_WCjeSUqQ4g.png (54.73 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”