Please keep our community alive

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Asterix_von_TWC
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Please keep our community alive

Post by Asterix_von_TWC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:49 pm

Seriously! I am an experienced very-large community admin, and I implore my esteemed colleagues here to keep the leagues, cups, mp games, and tournaments going while we wait.

I have noticed a substantial drop in numbers since January/December.

The arrogance of intellectual people, like most of you here who choose strategy games, over lets say scripted RPGs or FPSs, knows no limits. Gaming is a habit, even more so around a specific game.... if we let the attendance and participation drop here we will lose members and decrease the size of the community permanently... we should not care about what Slitherine does or does not do, and I for one have accepted that the new FoG is nowhere near.

The old FoG is fine, although I wish they would release the books which seem to have been ready for ages... well ages ago.

YOUR participation attracts others to participate, that's how internet communities work... size feeds size.... and IF you don't want this community to go to bits, like so many fine ones before it, PLEASE stay and play a game or too to keep it running.

I am posting this as another thread as well.

MikeMarchant
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Please keep our community alive

Post by MikeMarchant » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:38 am

I don't have Astreix's experience as an admin and can't comment so well on the big picture, but I can comment on my own experience and I can't help feeling Asterix has a fair point here.

I have gone from playng 12 to 20 games of FoG simultaneously to playing just 3 to 5, and have started to play another game online for the first time, Battle Academy 2.

Although I have played both Battle Academy and Battle Academy 2 in solo campaign form for a long time, I have never played online against other human opponents.

She isn't such a demanding mistress yet, but it's early days, and I wonder whether whether I can afford two mistresses.

Best Wishes

Mike Marchant

Asterix_von_TWC

Post by Asterix_von_TWC » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:47 am

MikeMarchant wrote:I don't have Astreix's experience as an admin and can't comment so well on the big picture, but I can comment on my own experience and I can't help feeling Asterix has a fair point here.

I have gone from playng 12 to 20 games of FoG simultaneously to playing just 3 to 5, and have started to play another game online for the first time, Battle Academy 2.

Although I have played both Battle Academy and Battle Academy 2 in solo campaign form for a long time, I have never played online against other human opponents.

She isn't such a demanding mistress yet, but it's early days, and I wonder whether whether I can afford two mistresses.

Best Wishes

Mike Marchant
Sadly Battle Academy 1 or 2 has never gripped me as much... too little scale or nuance. A mistress should ne'er be permanent!

chris6

Post by chris6 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Since Pike&Shot is available my numbers in FOG went down to. For me P&S is just better game. Visually and in Gameplay. I would like to see a FOG in this way....

Asterix_von_TWC

Post by Asterix_von_TWC » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:37 pm

chris6 wrote:Since Pike&Shot is available my numbers in FOG went down to. For me P&S is just better game. Visually and in Gameplay. I would like to see a FOG in this way....
Pike & Shot has too little unit variety for me... and visually its equal, don't get me wrong I am very fond of it, but FoG has richer potential... I was hoping they would go through to renaissance and napoleonic FoG... but it does not look likely.

MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:14 am

I bought Pike & Shot when it first came out, and while it is very pretty and very smooth, the gameplay just doesn't engage me. I spent most of my time with litte idea of what's going on and feeling as though I had little influence on the battle. I stopped playing it, but did give it another go after Christmas without any change in my feeling for it.

Best Wishes

Mike

Jonathan4290
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Jonathan4290 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:17 pm

The other thing with Pike and shot is that it takes forever to play vs computer. Id like to learn to play better by going through campaign but i dont have an hour plus to play a battle out. It is a great campaign with challenging battles but just doesnt engage me like FOG does.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com

voskarp
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by voskarp » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:28 pm

I too like FoG better (hope the new version will be even better still), though I've just played the P&S iPad version. It is something with the "playing with tin soldiers" thing I miss in P&S...

chris6

Post by chris6 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:08 pm

What i really like in P&S over FOG that I have the felling of playing a tableop rather than a hexcomputer game! Looks like everyone got his different feelings about how a game should be. Still I like to play OG even though to me it seems like the dices have more of a cruel influence than in P&S. I am really looking forward to FOG2.

voskarp

Post by voskarp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Well, the hex grid is a downside... but I still like moving the virtual tin soldiers of FoG better than the faceless 3D boxes in P&S around.

hughestd
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by hughestd » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:41 pm

I've been playing computer wargames since the mid 80's...starting with the SSI Civil War series on a Commodore 64. I still have a copy of the old SSI Battles of Napoleon game (a virtual dosbox copy) that I play regularly on my laptop. Civil War Generals II is another of my favorites. But FOG is definitely the most fun game that I've encountered in a long time. It's very easy to build a sizable scenario in about 1/2 an hour and the movement and combat systems are simple. If all you feel like doing on a weekend is setting up two armies with 50,000 crossbowmen each and let them bang away at each other for two days, nothing beats FOG. Like many others, I've been hoping they would do things like expand FOG into more historical periods, and add more terrain features. If they've gone to the trouble to spend two years developing an update for FOG, I suppose there's still reason to be hopeful.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”