Questions and suggestions

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Questions and suggestions

Post by gollummen »

Hi everybody

Let me start by saying that Battlefield Academy is a great game that just gets better as the difficulty increases. Here are a few questions and suggestions:

Questions:
Why can mortars fire from within buildings and heavy bunkers?
Why can´t AT cannons fire at infantry? If tanks can then I don’t see what should stop AT guns.
Why are the opponents forces shown at the bottom during the opponents turn? I try not to look when the AI is moving :-) , but I think that it is strange that unseen forces are shown.
Is it harder or easier to get fired at/spotted when hunting as opposed to moving fast?
How many APs does it cost to mount/unmount a vehicle?

Suggestions:
Bailing out of trucks/halftracks should hurt morale. I guess it would make it more difficult for the AI.
It would be cool to have a debriefing screen after each battle where you could see the status of each unit and its achievements.

Once again, thanks for a great game.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Glad you are enjoying it! I'm not sure I can answer every single question, but I can do most of them:

Some AT guns never had HE ammo, and hence couldn't meaningfully engage infantry AFAIK
We show the enemy units during AI turns to try and add some movement to the AI turn. This is disabled in multiplayer.
Hunting makes it much less likely you will be spotted by the enemy when moving.
I believe it costs 8 AP to load or unload a unit.

Yes - we would need to alter the AIs decision making if there was a more serious penalty for bailing out
We have a task to add better results and achivement display.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers

Pip
neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Questions and suggestions

Post by neilhammond »

gollummen wrote:Hi everybody

Questions:
Why can mortars fire from within buildings and heavy bunkers?
Why can´t AT cannons fire at infantry? If tanks can then I don’t see what should stop AT guns.
Mortars fire high arc, low velocity rounds. The danger, even if in a building without a roof, is that a shell would strike the wall and detonate. Hence mortars need a clear area around them to shoot. They are often positioned in an acrea that is screened by walls, hedges or buildings as their high arc allows them to shoot overhead even though there is no direct line of sight.

Re AT guns - it depends if they are equiped with high explosive rounds as well as anti tank rounds. British AT guns did not usually carry HE rounds and so could only be used against armour. German guns could fire both so a German AT weapon is capably of firing AT against armour and HE against infantry. Having no HE for the Brit AT guns is irritating but historical.

Neil
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

Thanks for your quick answers

:D

I did not know that british AT guns did not have HE rounds. That makes sense.
The danger, even if in a building without a roof, is that a shell would strike the wall and detonate. Hence mortars need a clear area around them to shoot.
I agree. Thats why I ask: Why can mortars fire from within buildings in the game?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

The thing to bear in mind is that there is a level of abstraction going on. Just think of the mortars being set up behind the walls in the garden, or in a sandbagged placement attached to the bunker :)

Cheers

Pip
adrianoku
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

some suggestions

Post by adrianoku »

Hi everybody,
I’m Italian and I’m new to this forum. I think BA is a great game which merges fine tactics with simplicity of rules and commands. I’ve just registered my account for beta testing the Italian language and I’ll try it as soon as possible.

Suggestion:
All the units are totally anonymous! Is there a way in the future to identify the units? Not necessary with real names of squad or regiment, also with fantasy names, just to identify unit per unit, eg: I’m so affectionate to a particular unit during a battle in a campaign and I don’t know who they are … :lol:

Bound to the previous one: I’d like to have all statistics of my units, who they are, how many battles (and which) they did in a campaign, how many kills they did o suffer from the enemy.

Last one: why the units all always new in every battle in the same campaign? It could be fine if there were the possibility to use same units from start to the end !
Again, great job!

gatto
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad you are enjoying the game! Carryover campaigns are part of the next update we are working on. I've not considered naming units - I'll add it to the todo list :).

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Battle Academy”