Difficulty

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

generalgonzo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Difficulty

Post by generalgonzo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:23 am

Hi,
I am an old veteran and huge fan of round based strategy games and therefore bought Battlefield. It was just released as boxed version here in germany.

I like it very much, but after playing the first two campaigns I admit, that the game is too easy. I miss the possibility to play on different difficult settings. Why aren´t these implemented like it is used to be in most other TB games ?

Any plans on this for an expansion or maybe games with the same engine (the manual mentioned that the game is a start of a series of historical games.....)

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MrsWargamer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:06 pm

It is cool you mastered the first two campaigns. The end of each is harder than the beginning of each of course.

But the real challenge is in fighting a human opponent. The multiplayer is really where it is at in the game, and it is very easy to get opponents. I can't recommend enough that you give that a go.

The games being highly scripted, the difficulty is essentially fixed. It is unique in that respect to something like a game of Civilization which has varying levels of difficult (which in the end is just a matter of making the game progressively more biased against the player and essentially just a gradual permission for the AI to cheat).

As I mentioned, playing a human opponent will tell you if you have seriously learned all of the game :)

There is already the Fall of France expansion and I have heard talk of a couple of others. Market Garden was mentioned in another thread here.
I suspect they will have comparable levels of difficulty to the original release. There is also a lot of user made creations that might keep you interested.

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 pm

The first two campaigns are purposely easy as they are teaching campaigns. Continue on to the next ones and you will find more of a challenge.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

generalgonzo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by generalgonzo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks so far for the answers. Will see hows the challenege in the next campaigns....

Regardinsg multiplayer: I read in the manual that every round is played individually and then sent an info via email to the opponent, him making the next turn. How long does an average MP game takes with this sort of gameplay mechanism ?

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:28 pm

It is not by email but through Slitherine's servers. If you and your opponent are both online and willing to play your turns, the turns are exchanged very quickly. However it could be at a more casual pace if you or your opponent only wants to play one turn a day or so. A 20 turn battle could take half a day or a month depending on play style.

When your opponent has done his turn, you get an email notification. There is also a systray icon that you can activate and it will flash when your turn is ready.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 am

Yes basically in multiuplayer, a turn is as long as you took, and likely your opponent will be about as fast.

So 5 minutes is likely as good as you can hope for, 10 not unreasonable, so a turn every 5-10 minutes is possible.

There is no appreciable wait for the data to be sent though.

A full game in an afternoon is very easy to manage. Provided both players are willing.

My advice to avoind the wait, play 5 games at the same time :)

Return to “Battle Academy”