Site Announcement! Battle Academy for iPad Out Now!

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

scarfacetarraff
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Site Announcement! Battle Academy for iPad Out Now!

Post by scarfacetarraff »

iainmcneil wrote:Right, lets keep this on topic guys. I don't want to hear any apple or Nintendo bashing. This thread is to get people info about BA on the iPad!
Aye, aye, Capitan! But, for the record, I love Nintendo, too.
"Hasta la victoria siempre!"
Legion (Mac/iPad), Spartan (Mac), GoT (Mac), Legion Arena (Mac), CEaW (Mac/DS), CNaW (Mac), HGE: Rome (DS), Egypt: EaE (iPad), FoG (Mac), Battle Academy (Mac/iPad), Unity of Command (Mac), CTGW (iPad)
cptkremmen
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by cptkremmen »

Could I clarify something about the iPad release please.

I have BA on the PC and all the add on campaigns.

If I bought BA on the iPad would I be able to play a mission I have set up on my PC from for example the operation sea lion expansion? Do I need to buy the expansion on the iPad etc?

The price for BA on the ipad is a bit high, if I also have to rebuy all the expansions as well that is a bit steep?

Last question - reason I am a bit short of dough, my ipad 3 is being delivered tomorrow :) Does BA support the higher definition screen on the ipad 3 / new ipad or whatever silly name they have come up for it?

Ta

Andy
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We've mentioned it before but we have no way to link PC and iPad purchases in any way. We have no info on customers at all and no way to offer discounts to existing PC customers - in fact we're prohibited from giving incentives to purchase as its seen as manipulating sales numbers. So unfortunately as the current Apple policy stands there is no way to offer purchase discounts across multiple platforms.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

You mean this forum isn't about table top wargaming Iain?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

This is a global thread - one of the perks of the new forum. This thread appears everywhere in all forums. All new releases will make use of this new feature for a week or two and then return to their own forum :)
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

The wonders of modern technology. Something we here make little use of.

Code: Select all

<Random>.nextInt(int n), where n = 6 
Is not quite the same
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
jhkrischel
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jhkrischel »

DSWargamer wrote: If I DID have an iPad, 20 bucks wouldn't even get the slightest indication of complaint from me.
And it wouldn't matter if a 100 or a 1000 other schlock no acocunt easy to forget games could be bought for a buck.

We invented the term 'schlock' for a reason you complainers.
Well, I suppose you can have both tactless complainers and defenders :)

Yes, there are reasonable rationales for a high price, but there are also reasonable rationales for a lower price. Dismissing people who are taken aback by a high price as "complainers" is just as bad as dismissing the devs as "only in it for the money" - we don't need to caricature people who disagree with our point of view. In fact, it's probably the most counterproductive thing we can do :)

Jeff Vogel, of Spiderweb Software, actually wrote a very interesting post on indies and pricing last year: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... eaper.html

I certainly wish the best for Slitherine and their apps, and I don't mean to demean either their efforts or their business acumen when critiquing a certain price point. I only offer a point of view, possible alternatives that are amenable to everyone's interests, and my best wishes :)
wangeye
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by wangeye »

I got an iPad oh and not made of money like some one here said lol what I am wanting to know is if one buys this game as I do have it all ready on pc is can you download the ww1games that you can on pc? Will apple let us do that. On iPad
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

Ian has done waaaaay too much to earn my respect, so I will drop the overt annoying enthusiastic support :)

I personally loathe Steam, but I also loathe candy coating the truth, or spinning the facts. The thing is, Steam likely could move untold addtional sums of units of sales for Slitherine based on what I have seen Steam do for other games. But that too is a long convoluted debate, one in the end is up to Slitherine to decide on.

I will be interested in seeing in say 6 months what the return on investment was for going to the iPad.

I was all over the wargaming community with support for REAL wargames coming to the DS a few years back (which explains my account ID name). But I was also told sales for Commander Europe at War on the DS were dismal all because retailers wouldn't give it a fair go on the shelf. They'd rather sell your daughters *&^%$ Pony love or Puppy simulator, or market to the mid teen need for RPG titles. It took me a while to accept, Nintendo couldn't care less for gamers over 25. Nintendo has it's name on at this time likely 6000 titles (it was 5000 last I looked a couple of years back) for the DS. But the ordinary wargamer will be lucky to find more than 10 games that are suitable reasons for having a Nintendo DS in their hands. Slitherine gave the market likely the best wargame ever made for the DS.

As I see it, just so long as Slitherine continues to boldly market to wargamers in bold new ways, they likely will out live most of their bretheren in the wargame publishing business. Evolve or perish.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

wangeye wrote:I got an iPad oh and not made of money like some one here said lol what I am wanting to know is if one buys this game as I do have it all ready on pc is can you download the ww1games that you can on pc? Will apple let us do that. On iPad
You can download all of the user content which is hosted by us. While it is possible to allow users to drop their own content onto the iPad (e.g. not downloading ingame) the process is not simple, and the required iTunes-fu would have meant lots of tech support for us, and lots of frustration for customers.

We try and make sure we get up all the good user content asap, once their authors are happy to do so.

Cheers

Pip
wangeye

Post by wangeye »

I got the game on iPad and downloaded two other game sealion and market garden how ever son delited game and have re installed main one how ever it does not let me re instal the other two
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah - kids and the delete buttons. Wish there was a way to lock it!

If you go to purchase the addons again, it will tell you you have already paid for them and you basically go through the same process, but no money is taken.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Pip
cccbss
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by cccbss »

I already buy PC version in Augest 2010 as frist wave. Did I need pay 20$ for ipad version? Not any privilege? Infact ipad version and PC version no substantial difference. So I don't want to pay 20$ for another platform.
cccbss

Post by cccbss »

you can offer PROMO CODE (exchange code) for older buyer who purchased pc version with full payment!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

You are only allowed 50 promo codes these days. These are all needed for the press to review the game.

In addition Apple policy forbids us from giving out codes to people who bought something else as its seen as a way of bypassing their revenue collection and manipulating store charts so it would get us banned from the store. So as things stand I think its very unlikely Apple will allow anything like this in the short to mid term so unfortunately there is nothign we are able to do to offer any kind of discount to owners on other platforms. Its exactly the same as if you were looking at a PS3 or X360 version. You'd have a hard to convincing Microsoft or Sony to let you have a free copy because you had the PC version :) iOS is a different platform and needs to be thought about in that way.

I can see you posting this question everywhere so maybe you can let everyone know why we cant do what you're suggesting :)
tonywkim
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by tonywkim »

Thanks for putting this out. I have the PC version but I bought the iPad version. Thank you guys! I hope this sparks more war games to be be made for the iPad. To that end, how goes sales so far? How can ou guys market this game to the iPad masses?
AnthonyJAttard
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by AnthonyJAttard »

I would buy a version for Android. Would a version for Android require alot of code conversion Object C to Java?

I am interested in programming for Android and understand the work involved dealing with multiple Android versions.
Szabtom
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Szabtom »

20 dollars is a absolutely fair price for a high value and full feature game like BA. I will buy it as soon as I can get my hands on my wife's iPad. :D
markuk
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by markuk »

Played BA on the ipad for a day or so, unable to play downloaded custom maps!

In the list of maps i can see the error: missing_ids_campaign_name 3 times- this relates to 3 custom maps that were downloaded

Slitherine map pack 1 however is showing as correct:

clash of armour
street fighting

Bug, compatability issues with ipad?

The game plays very well on the new ipad by the way :)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you tell me which maps? I tested all the downloadable content and it should be fine. Are you talking about the single player or multiplayer campaign selection?

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Battle Academy”