a few comments on the Arnhem scenario...

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

falco148
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

a few comments on the Arnhem scenario...

Post by falco148 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:38 am

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I thought I'd add my 5 cents worth anyway. The Arnhem scenario: 2 major issues. Firstly, after playing it about five times (both against the AI & PBEM), I've come to the conclusion that it is a potentially great scenario but, as it stands at the moment, is seriously unbalanced. Theres no way (that I can see anyway) that the Brits can possibly win with all the firepower that have ranged against them. This includes flame-throwing panzers and Tigers as well as an overwhelming number of German reinforcements being brought on at regular intervals. I'm not sure but I think maybe the solution is to either a). reduce the strength of the German force or b). reduce the number of turns the Brits have to hold out. As it is now, 20 turns is just too long for the beleaguered paras to retain the flags (or at least the majority of them).
Secondly, in the pre-battle setup, the British player is able to click and drag his units to the location of his choosing. However sometimes the units 'stick' after being dragged a couple of hexes. I'm not what causes this but I'm sure its game related and nothing to do with my own PC. The only solution to this I've found, is to exit and then re-enter setup. In the the last Arnhem battle I played, I had to exit & re-enter setup about six or seven times before I got everything placed where I wanted it. Damned annoying!

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: a few comments on the Arnhem scenario...

Post by pipfromslitherine » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:40 pm

We've never had any deployment issues mentioned before. What platform are you playing on? Are you able to deploy by using the deploy order, rather than dragging?

With regard to the scenario, I imagine that there will be some tips along shortly from the community!

Cheers

Pip

falco148
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by falco148 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:37 am

HI PIp, yeah the units getting 'stuck' in places where u dont want 'em has always been a bone of contention. Makes for a very time consuming set-up! The deploy mode your talking about is where u click and u can move the unit into the next hex right? Thats OK for moving adjacent but not much good for moving half a dozen hexes away. I'm running Win 7 BTW.

Richie61
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Richie61 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:59 am

For the record. I am not the greatest BA player, but I have won a few times as the Brits. I delay the Germans till the clock runs out.
Ed
aka Richie61

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
Ronald Reagan

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:00 pm

falco wrote:HI PIp, yeah the units getting 'stuck' in places where u dont want 'em has always been a bone of contention. Makes for a very time consuming set-up! The deploy mode your talking about is where u click and u can move the unit into the next hex right? Thats OK for moving adjacent but not much good for moving half a dozen hexes away. I'm running Win 7 BTW.
You can move a unit as far as you like - this is a new feature for 1.8 if my memory is correct. But I've not heard of anyone else having issues with deployment - perhaps you have something interfering with your mouse, some utility etc.

Cheers

Pip

tmoj2000
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tmoj2000 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:04 am

falco wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up before but I thought I'd add my 5 cents worth anyway. The Arnhem scenario: 2 major issues. Firstly, after playing it about five times (both against the AI & PBEM), I've come to the conclusion that it is a potentially great scenario but, as it stands at the moment, is seriously unbalanced. Theres no way (that I can see anyway) that the Brits can possibly win with all the firepower that have ranged against them. This includes flame-throwing panzers and Tigers as well as an overwhelming number of German reinforcements being brought on at regular intervals. I'm not sure but I think maybe the solution is to either a). reduce the strength of the German force or b). reduce the number of turns the Brits have to hold out. As it is now, 20 turns is just too long for the beleaguered paras to retain the flags (or at least the majority of them).
Secondly, in the pre-battle setup, the British player is able to click and drag his units to the location of his choosing. However sometimes the units 'stick' after being dragged a couple of hexes. I'm not what causes this but I'm sure its game related and nothing to do with my own PC. The only solution to this I've found, is to exit and then re-enter setup. In the the last Arnhem battle I played, I had to exit & re-enter setup about six or seven times before I got everything placed where I wanted it. Damned annoying!
Strange.... In all the games I have played the Germans have a very tough time winning.... My view is that this scenario favors the brits

Anyway if you'd like to try out, my nick in PBEM is TMOJ2000

falco148
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by falco148 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:23 am

Postscript: I've now played the scenario two more times as brits. The first one I won(!) but the second I took a beating once again. In the first battle, my opponent was new to the game but in the second my opp was quite experienced. However I think the crux of the problem lies with the reinforcements the German player receives (or doesnt). The reinforcement arrival appears to be random. In the scenario that I won, the german player didnt appear to get any reinforcements at all, in the second, he was heavily reinforced with Stugs & SS infantry. The solution, as I mentioned in an earlier post, seems to be to cut or at least drastically reduce the number of reinforcements the German gets during the course of the battle.

tmoj2000: No way the scenario favours the Brits. However I'll gladly play against you as germans if your so confident you can win as Brits! I'll set up a game today. I'll send u a PM with password.

falco148
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by falco148 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Post/Postscript: Well, have to swallow my pride and revise my opinion about this scenario now I think. Played tmoj 2000 in an effort to establish who was right about the scenario balance. Just finished tonight and I recieved an absolute THRASHING. No flags captured and still about 8 or 9 turns to play(!). Shows what can be acheived with a very aggressive defence. Of course he was helped by some very idiotic moves on my part (like never once actually getting my flame-throwing tank into action due to blocked streets, other units in the way etc)...... :(

Its official: The Arnhem scenario is balanced.

acarhj
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by acarhj » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Never played against a live opponent but I won against the AI the first time out. The second time through the Germans got beat like a rented mule. :D

Return to “Battle Academy”