After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Post Reply
caltino
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 am

After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by caltino » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:57 am

I am almost through BA and looking for the next game to play. The complexity and the pace was very close to my sweet spot, which was hit almost perfectly by the old Close Combat games. I did find BA a bit simpler than I liked, but still very fun. I have not played computer games of this sort since CC days until I picked up BA on my ipad, so I need input on what's currently good that would be a small step up from BA in terms of complexity. Combat Mission is famous, but I hear it is a few steps up in complexity- is that right? What other options are there?

I am looking for a PC game, WW2 but theater doesn't matter. Squad level again, like BA or CC, but I could go up a level if the game is good enough to try something new.

Thanks.

LeadTheWay
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by LeadTheWay » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:48 pm

A great game, is Combat Mission. They also have an iOS version, but the PC version is pretty good. It is an extremely in-depth strategy game. Make sure to check it out!

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9248
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by pipfromslitherine » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:18 pm

The new Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - is coming soon - it's looking great, so that's always an option.

Cheers

Pip

caltino
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 am

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by caltino » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:40 pm

LeadTheWay wrote:A great game, is Combat Mission. They also have an iOS version, but the PC version is pretty good. It is an extremely in-depth strategy game. Make sure to check it out!
As I said in my OP, I hear Combat Mission is several steps above BA in complexity. So that may not be a good fit for someone like me.

Is the new Close Combat a new game or is it one of the remakes which based on the old engine?

tmoj2000
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by tmoj2000 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:53 am

What you need to do is to play BA multiplayer......You can't be "through BA" until you have played at least several 100 MP games

alex0809
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:41 am

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by alex0809 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:02 pm

New Combat Mission series (2.x engine) is really great and fun to play, I bought it just a few weeks ago.
I bought Shock Force + the Addons (15 $ + 40 $) and Fortress Italy (55 $) by now. It's a steep price, but I have no problem with paying much for a quality product (in all honesty, if I would, I certainly wouldn't buy any games from Matrix/Slitherine either).
Very fun games, and they are really not complicated to play. Complex games for sure, though. What I love about these games is that when playing it and watching the battle go it actually feels like a real battle.
Shock Force for 15 $ is a very good offer. Though I have to say I enjoyed World War 2 Combat Mission more because of two main reasons.. first, modern combat is so freaking lethal! Give an Abrams a few dozen targets in front of him and there will only be empty plains in 2 minutes! Second, WW2 battles were rather even (I don't want to make any Italians here mad so let's just leave it at "rather even" :mrgreen:) while fighting in Shock Force as NATO is mostly preventing ambushes/getting as many guns as possible to fire at discovered ATGMs than actual shooting at each other. But still, all CM2 games are fun.
Though, I would hold off buying Normandy for now, because they will upgrade it to the Fortress Italy engine update shortly and then you would have to BUY the upgrade for that.

caltino
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 am

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by caltino » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 pm

alex0809 wrote:New Combat Mission series (2.x engine) is really great and fun to play, I bought it just a few weeks ago.
I bought Shock Force + the Addons (15 $ + 40 $) and Fortress Italy (55 $) by now. It's a steep price, but I have no problem with paying much for a quality product (in all honesty, if I would, I certainly wouldn't buy any games from Matrix/Slitherine either).
Very fun games, and they are really not complicated to play. Complex games for sure, though. What I love about these games is that when playing it and watching the battle go it actually feels like a real battle.
Shock Force for 15 $ is a very good offer. Though I have to say I enjoyed World War 2 Combat Mission more because of two main reasons.. first, modern combat is so freaking lethal! Give an Abrams a few dozen targets in front of him and there will only be empty plains in 2 minutes! Second, WW2 battles were rather even (I don't want to make any Italians here mad so let's just leave it at "rather even" :mrgreen:) while fighting in Shock Force as NATO is mostly preventing ambushes/getting as many guns as possible to fire at discovered ATGMs than actual shooting at each other. But still, all CM2 games are fun.
Though, I would hold off buying Normandy for now, because they will upgrade it to the Fortress Italy engine update shortly and then you would have to BUY the upgrade for that.

I thought CM:Battle for Normady was CM 2 as well. How much more complex are the CM games compare to BA? BA has that easy to play, hard to master element (like close combat, where you did not need tutorials to get started), is CM easy to play as well?

alex0809
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:41 am

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by alex0809 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm

It is, yeah. Orders are simple, eg. you select movement type (eg Quick/Slow/Hunt) and then left click to move. You select target command and left click to attack. And all abilities are simple things like "Unbutton" or "Dismount". Nothing complicated, really.
There are advanced game concepts though. For example, there is a Command system where you need radios/be in shouting distance to pass on information (which of course hampers ill-equipped nations like Syria in Shock Force and Italy in Fortress Italy). But it's nothing really complicated.
Of course, what is complicated is how to play. Even if you have only simple commands what you do with them is the important thing. But on a basic level it's actually pretty similar to BA - fire superiority is propably most important and that's just the same in BA.

About your engine question: true, Normandy is also the CM2 engine. But Fortress Italy is an improved version of CM2 engine.

I think it's best if you just try out any of the demos.

caltino
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 am

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by caltino » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:39 pm

How about panzer command (not commander)? Anyone have any experience with that?

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Arizona USA -7GMT

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by junk2drive » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 am

I am on the team for Panzer Command. It plays a lot like the first CM games but orders are given by platoon rather than squad. There is a demo for it as well.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

emos
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:40 am

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by emos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:00 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:The new Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - is coming soon - it's looking great, so that's always an option.

Cheers

Pip
Will this new Close Combat game also be an iOS offering? Would buy instantly if so!

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9248
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:56 pm

No - this release will be PC only. We have plans for the next iteration of the game to support tablet platforms though.

Cheers

Pip

gortwillsaveus
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 pm

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by gortwillsaveus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:06 pm

tmoj2000 wrote:What you need to do is to play BA multiplayer......You can't be "through BA" until you have played at least several 100 MP games
Totally Agree! You'll find a whole new level of enjoyment.

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther
Posts: 1012
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:13 am

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by Old_Warrior » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Oh yes, you need to play against human opponents before you can call it a day. BA via LAN would be nice too if it existed ....

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Re: After BA: need a game that's half a step up.

Post by MrsWargamer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:38 pm

caltino wrote:I am almost through BA and looking for the next game to play. The complexity and the pace was very close to my sweet spot, which was hit almost perfectly by the old Close Combat games. I did find BA a bit simpler than I liked, but still very fun. I have not played computer games of this sort since CC days until I picked up BA on my ipad, so I need input on what's currently good that would be a small step up from BA in terms of complexity. Combat Mission is famous, but I hear it is a few steps up in complexity- is that right? What other options are there?

I am looking for a PC game, WW2 but theater doesn't matter. Squad level again, like BA or CC, but I could go up a level if the game is good enough to try something new.

Thanks.

I would suggest looking into Squad Battles for something that is a leg up and stays squad level and turn based as well.

Post Reply

Return to “Battle Academy”