BA Multiplayer skirmish mode with unit production (Playable)

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

rf900
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

BA Multiplayer skirmish mode with unit production (Playable)

Post by rf900 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:14 am

Download:

http://anyone.hol.es/Files/BASESKI_MP_v11.zip
http://anyone.hol.es/Files/BASESKIMP.LST

Changes v1.1:

-Fixed Bonuses in 3 maps
-Fixed the message that said the script had been altered each turn
-Maybe fixed the resurrecting unit bug

First version v1: This version still has some minor issues, but it is playable and the mode seems to be a fun alternative to normal games. I have included 4 maps, but they may not be very balanced, altering the flag position may help this so any feedback regarding this will be appreciated. Let me know if you want to include other maps, the process is fairly easy and I want to include a big pack of 20-30 maps so that every player has them and MP matching is easier.

You will get the message each turn that the script has changed, I have reported it to support as is should not be appearing, just ignore it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old: After the last patch it seems that it is now possible to add UI panel actions in MP so the skirmish mode with purchase of units should work in MP. I am in the process of converting the SP mod and should have playable version to test soon.

I am looking for anyone interested in testing the game, either by their own with the hotseat mode or with other players. I will also be testing but have very limited time for actually playing entire matches.

Also looking for any feedback, the first version will have US vs German with a limited selection of 30 units to purchase. I will add a wide selection of bonus with a cost like in the SP version. The player creating the game will be the one who is able to choose the initial gameplay options, these are created once the match is accepted so there should be some kind of agreement on some default options or way to communicate/discuss the selection before starting the game.

Last edited by rf900 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: BA Multiplayer skirmish mode with unit production (WIP)

Post by LandMarine47 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 am

I'll help ya! Just word of advice..... I tend to spam out annoyingly strong tanks so expect to see 4 or 5 Panthers running around :D

morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:19 pm

I can also assist with a few games...just give me Firefly's to combat his Panthers ;)

Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Uncle_Joe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:50 pm

I'll give it a go in hotseat mode both solo and with a friend if you don't mind sending a link.

Thanks!

rf900

Post by rf900 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks, I need to finish a couple of things but once it is working I will send a PM to you. I expect that it will need several revisions before I can post a public link with a stable version to avoid matches with old versions appearing on the server.

BTW I have not added the Firefly to have some pure US troops, I was supposing that with the Axis increased unit cost the game should be balanced as it is, still this can be changed at any time (both unit composition and costs) based on feedback.

rf900

Post by rf900 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:37 pm

I am sending you a PM with the link, it has a bug that will not let you change the options at the start, you will play with the default as shown in the image at the first post. I will appreciate any feedback and bugs. The paradrop animation is not finished.

Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Uncle_Joe » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi,

OK, just finished playing a quick hotseat game with a friend as the Axis (he played American). It went pretty well and was a whole lot of fun! The things we noted:

1) We both received 'script errors' every turn. It said our scripts differed even though we were playing on the same PC...odd.

2) Side 2 (Germans) got the +50 points for the turn (so they started with 400 points) where the Amis had the base 350. IMO, this is fine because going second in that game mode is a pretty severe disadvantage.

3) Unit would spawn in the buildings at the bases even if they were vehicles which should not be able to enter buildings...minor but I'm not sure what would happen if those units were attacked while in the buildings.

4) The hedges around the Ami base were kind of annoying for my friend. It just caused micro that really shouldn't be needed. Similar at the Axis base where I'd sometimes have to move a unit around the hedge to be able to load etc. Again, minor.

5) Not sure if this was a bug for the mod or the game in general but an Ami infantry squad in a building in the center of town kept displaying a 'loaded' icon rather than the American white star.

6) It was possible to go negative on the points when purchasing a special (ie, I had 15 points and I was able purchase the 30-point Drill Sergeant and went to -15 points).

Overall we both had fun although he conceded with 15 turns left due to some bad mistakes made. The default number of turn might be a bit high for the game mode but again, this is a minor point once it can be configured.

rf900

Post by rf900 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 am

Great feedback, I think I can fix most of them. I also got the options panel working, so probably after fixing a couple of things I can release a public version. Would probably include 4 maps or so to have some variety.

morge4

Post by morge4 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:02 pm

I am about 5-6 turns into H2H and am encountering the same type of issues.

Axis started with 400 points. was able to go into negative numbers buying a bonus...but not purchasing units. Vehicles deploying in buildings.

Will keep going but it looks like minor bugs so far. Good work!

leci
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by leci » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Happy to be involved if you send me the link - I play via an iPad.

Gilles
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles

rf900

Post by rf900 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:47 am

I am going to release the public version soon, but I will send you the link to the test LST file.

leci

Post by leci » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks. Rec'd the link and downloaded it, but cannot seem to find it on the MP games list?

Do I need to delete your Small Skirmish scenario?
Gilles
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles

rf900

Post by rf900 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:19 am

It should not conflict with the SP version, in the PC it appears under Base Skirmish, map name is Small Skirmish.

leci

Post by leci » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks. Works fine.

Gilles

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:05 am

I can confirm also that it does work

leci

Post by leci » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:12 am

Two games ongoing with LandMarine ie one Axis one Allies. On second move, getting 'scripts do not match' message ie in both games - not sure if LandMarine is seeing these.

Noticed that purchased units are now able to be deployed 'in move' ie after purchase.

As the Allied player, I left the initial values as was.

One question (which is probably answered elsewhere) - how does one build up funds? Capturing flags? Killing enemy units?

Gilles

Gilles

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:39 am

It's a set currency every turn you get an allotted amount of points.

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:57 pm

In both my games with Leci he has had a very bad start :(. First my Paratroopers landed a turn before his thus I got the advantage. Both times the Paras were eliminated.
In my game with me as Allies his Panzer III Flamm with a Puma and 259 were destroyed with very well executed tactics. My Rangers in the forest destroyed the 259 and my Greyhound destroyed the Puma. I had a Halftrack nearby with US airborne and I destroyed the Flamm Panzer. As far as I know his only unit left is a WirbelWind approching the town.

In my other game with me as Axis. My scouts killed his Airborne and he unleashed 2 Sherman 105s and a Jumbo. Once again my infantry Triumph! Hidden in the town my infantry kill one 105 Sherman and I finish off the last Airborne unit. With his tanks out of shots my 259 gets past his tanks and I destroy a flanking WASP. My Panzerwerfer suppressed the Jumbo but he rallied it.

In both games me and Leci had different ideology in mind.
I went with a Mechanized Infantry force with most of my men traveling by Halftracks supported by light armor and Artillery.
Leci went with a much more Armored approch with him gambling with his Paratroopers. In both cases after destroying his Infantry my mechanized forces went around his tanks and destroyed his much more faster units. Support from Artillery was vital and I made sure I had AA Guns to stop any wondering Stukas! Now I'm not saying my tactic is better its just infantry is everything! Once you control that town you can stop anything throw at you with hidden Infantry.
But the battle isn't over. Leci still had a considerable amount of forces survive and I don't know what's coming yet. I'm undergoing upgrades to counter any more armor but Leci might still turn the tide of battle in this most critical moment!

Also please for the love of god don't go armor with Allies! As Leci is about to find out the 88 can solve lots of problems :).If your Germans don't go all armor as the Allies will just get their Infantry and smash your tanks. Basically look back and see what was your factions major flaw, and use the opposite unit! The Allies should rely on their Infantry and Artillery and Axis should rely on Armor supported by Infantry.

leci

Post by leci » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Do not disagree with LandMarine, but some other points re beta:
- top right hand icon re more detailed info etc does not work
- per turn purchase points do not increase exponentially ie there must a heuristic/rule operating eg in game 'stuff' generates purchase points?

Gilles

Gilles

rf900

Re: BA Multiplayer skirmish mode with unit production (Playa

Post by rf900 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:01 am

I have put the link in the first post to the first playable version with 4 maps, still has minor issues but should not affect gameplay. You will get the message each turn that the script has changed, I have reported it to support as is should not be appearing, just ignore it.
- per turn purchase points do not increase exponentially ie there must a heuristic/rule operating eg in game 'stuff' generates purchase points?
I am not sure of the benefits of introducing a variable point generation. I think giving both player the same points is the most fair option, then it is up to the player who makes best use of those resources. I am more up for balancing the maps, units cost, bonus cost...

Were you thinking on a specific mechanic to give more points to a player?

Return to “Battle Academy”