MultiPlayer turn frequency

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

enric
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

MultiPlayer turn frequency

Post by enric » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:14 pm

In my opinion it should be a way to indicate the minimum frequency of turns expected when you open a challenge.

I know Slitherine is not planning an update for BA (maybe could it be included in BA2) but this feature will improve a lot the deal with open challenges.
I found often players that make a turn every week or 10 days, when I receive the turn I did not remember what was happening in this scenario, I loose the interest.

The implementation should allow, when opening a challenge, to indicate the frequency in days (at least one turn every other day, at leaf a turn a day…, for example). In that way, when a player try to accept the challenge the request will prevent him/her "are you sure you want to accept this challenge and play at least a turn every other day".
I know that later, the player could no meet the accepted suggestion but maybe others will refuse the challenge and avoid a bored game for those who expect a more agility game.

glenghiscan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: MultiPlayer turn frequency

Post by glenghiscan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:34 am

Agreed then again I have a least of players I know play regularly and only rarely accept players I don't know so I/ they could be missing out on some good games

Zarevic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Zarevic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Completely agree!

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:01 pm

I think it would be impossible to enforce, and could scare off casual players when they first look at the lobby. To some extent async play is designed NOT to require specific turn frequencies, so that if life gets in the way there is no problem. That said, I can definitely see the issue of remembering where you are if you are a core player with 20 games on the go!

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

Brummbar44
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Brummbar44 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:54 am

What would be great is a time zone indication of sorts that would show when the opponent generally plays in local time zones (i.e. Brummbar44 plays generally between 10 and 14h hours in your time zone)?

You might even be able to indicate frequency of play?

Then players can decide who looks like a match and who just won't work for them. Not sure how difficult that would be to set up?

falco148
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by falco148 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Speaking of MP....lately I've had about 13 or 14 BA and PC (Panzer Corps) battles going on on but for the last week or so I've only been getting one or, if I'm lucky, two return files every day. Before that I was getting at least 7 or 8 or more files every day. Whats happening?......is everybody on summer holidays? Have a lot of my opponents died??

jcb989
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by jcb989 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:41 pm

I guess I'll mention it again, that I think there may be plenty of iPad casual gamers. No offense to the dedicated BA fans of course that play on iPad, but think of all the possible millions of people that own an iPad and might decide to, "try this game".

I can handle a slightly slower player more than the guy that plays a few turns then quits without explanation. Then, picks up an open game of the same scenario with me, and after 5 turns or so, quits again! I'm not sure but I will try to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they are just testing the waters.

But my point is, once you open it up to the iPad as you have done, I do really think you need a rating system of some kind. Remember KISS approach though. Keep It Simple, Silly. I like the time zone suggestion, or the simplest of ratings (say 1-10) on play frequency * experience. I think you have to do something. But that something should be very simple and intuitive, to keep consistent with the overall experience.

Return to “Battle Academy”