The DLCs... Are they worth it?

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Fruitcake
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

The DLCs... Are they worth it?

Post by Fruitcake »

Hi there!

Just recently got gifted "Battle Academy" and tried to start a topic about this on the Steam community page, and the reply I got was to try it here instead, as there was very little activity there :P

So...while some of the DLCs looks interesting (Sea Lion, Blitzkrieg, Market Garden), are they worth the price, which combined, even at sale, is more than the base game itself?
Should I get some of them or all?

Do they offer something unique? From what I can understand at least the "Operation Husky" DLC offer some new features in terms of unit movement?

Sorry, but there is very little information about the DLCs out there, tried googling it to no avail (only "official" info).

:)
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: The DLCs... Are they worth it?

Post by morge4 »

I own all the BA additions and enjoy them all and I feel they are all worth the $$, IMO. It will be up to you if you decide to get all or just certain ones. Each expansion deals with a specific campaign or area. Market-Garden uses the carryover feature, and really makes you take care of your units early, otherwise you don't have them in later missions. Husky, Rommel in Normandy and Metz make use of new units and some great graphics!

Here is a good link to the Mega-Pack, gives some details of what is included with each expansion...

http://www.slitherine.com/games/ba_all

You are getting 6 expansions and at $19.99 for the Mega-Pack...that's about $3.40 per expansion...not too bad in my opinion! Hope this helps your decision.
MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

In my opinion the answer is yes. All the DLC scenarios are extremely well made. As morge stated, market garden utilizes the carryover system so you have to take into account casualties that will affect you in further scenarios. Blitz France is one of my favourites, that package really lends itself to blitz concepts, husky is a tough nasty one, Bulge with the late German armour is ruthless at times. I like some more than others but they're all worth their price tag.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Thanks for your replies :)
Steam has(had?) a sale on, which gave the DLCs at an even better prize than you found.
Still a little in doubt, will see how much of the budget is left when the holidays cool even more down :-P

A point though; one of the reasons Operation Sealion interest me in particualar, is the alternative history aspect.
But how is the potential for this also in Rommel & Marketgarden (or Blitz for that matter) utilised?
MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

Fruitcake wrote:Thanks for your replies :)
Steam has(had?) a sale on, which gave the DLCs at an even better prize than you found.
Still a little in doubt, will see how much of the budget is left when the holidays cool even more down :-P

A point though; one of the reasons Operation Sealion interest me in particualar, is the alternative history aspect.
But how is the potential for this also in Rommel & Marketgarden (or Blitz for that matter) utilised?
Market Garden's final scenario is a 'what if' scenario based on XXX Corps arriving finally in Arnhem. You play a scenario or two before as XXX Corps crossing the bridge to Arnhem and then another one as British airbornes last stand in Arnhem before that. So the full final one is a 'what if XXX Corps arrived?' Blitz France is played from the German POV so it's really just hauling ass for 9 or so scenarios in 1940 much like the German Army did. No 'what if' there. Rommel has a little alternate history but not on a grand stage that culminates in anything like Market Garden. In Rommel the premise is basically that the German armoured counter attacks are successful, but the success is limited in scope and ultimately the inevitable happens. You hold out at Cherbourg, counter attack the Canadian spearhead off Juno, counter attack before Operation Cobra (think its that one), then Normandy turns on you and you wither Cobra and the Falaise Gap.

Hope that helped explain some things.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Indeed it did, thanks for a very pertinent reply! :)
MarcosMalo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by MarcosMalo »

The Race to Messina chapter of Operation Husky has a few new movement related features that are quite interesting. First of all, there is a wormhole located on th first hill. If a unit enters this wormhole, three things can happen (that I have discovered so far).

1) the unit disappears completely. It's unknown if the unit is anhilated by the intense gravity and radiation of the wormhole or if it's merely transported to another universe.

2) the unit appears somewhere else on or near the hill. Often it will show up near the dirt road and the rough terrain at the base of the hill.

3) the unit loads onto an adjacent unit, much as it would a truck or half track. The loaded unit's pop-up actions now show the ability to unload.

There are some that think this wormhole is a software bug, but there is actually a wormhole located on Sicily that caused Patton's command a lot of problems. This was Top Secret for decades, but was uncovered by journalists working for the comic book Weird War.

[If it really is a bug it will probably never ever get fixed, so it's better to pretend it's supposed to be like that]
acarhj
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by acarhj »

My least favorite was Rommel in Normandy. However, the rest are really fun. I go back to all of them and replay my favorite battles. If you are looking for new content, you can't go wrong for $19.95 for all of the expansions!
mpetri

Post by mpetri »

I think they are. I only have Rommel in Normandy but from what I've seen of the multiplayer maps Fortress Metz and Operation Husky look really good. I really want to try Operation Sealion as well

Return to “Battle Academy”