Mystery Flag

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Kayel Dee
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Mystery Flag

Post by Kayel Dee » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:08 pm

While playing the Rommel in Normandy expanson, i was confronted with flahe I couldnt recognize...looked like 'this'

Anyone know which country it belongs to?? I t was from the opposing side, so, idk

mpetri
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Mystery Flag

Post by mpetri » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:30 am

Pretty sure it's Polish....

Kayel Dee

Post by Kayel Dee » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:13 am

i thought so too, but google image thinks its german-polish, and if it is polish, how much polish participation was there in post d-day normandy??

mpetri
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mpetri » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Didn't see this until just now oops....

This website has a decent amount of info

http://www.polandinexile.com/polisharmy.html

The 1st Armored Division was the main Polish force in Normandy apparently.
There were many other Free Polish units however, especially in Italy.

Philippeatbay
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Philippeatbay » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Kayel Dee wrote:While playing the Rommel in Normandy expanson, i was confronted with flahe I couldnt recognize...looked like 'this'

Anyone know which country it belongs to?? I t was from the opposing side, so, idk
It doesn't belong to any country. It's a misconceived fantasy flag that makes my eyes bleed.

I haven't checked those scenarios recently, but when I was making the historical flag mod I could have sworn the game was using this:

I'll double check to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks on me, and do the needful if it is.

What you were really looking at but don't remember correctly is the pre-WW II state flag of Poland.

Something like it still flies in front of Polish embassies, but you'd have to be living in a national capital or New York (because of the U.N.) to know that. Other cities around the world with Polish consulates probably fly this flag as well.

The state flag was modified under the postwar communist regime by the removal of the crown from the head of the eagle (not egalitarian enough).

The white eagle on the red shield is usually refered to as the Jagiełło eagle, as in Władysław Jagiełło who defeated the Teutonic knights at Grunwald in 1410.

There are lots of charming folk tales about the origin and significance of the eagle, all of them (and none of them) true.

Most countries have several different flags, notably a national flag, a state flag, a war flag, and various flavors of civil flags.

The Polish flag that most people are familiar with is the national flag, a rather plain affair composed of two horizontal stripes.

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Just checked, and the game is using the correct flag (the pre-WW II state flag and not the atrocious fantasy flag).

mpetri
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mpetri » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:40 pm

Hey it actually looks kinda nice haha

Return to “Battle Academy”