Is it possible to show Chinese characters in BBCBA?

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Is it possible to show Chinese characters in BBCBA?

Post by shermanVC » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:28 am

Hi,

Recently, I created a small group, so I am planning to add Chinese translation into the game and share it with members.
But I tried and found that Chinese characters cannot be shown. (That means characters can be shown in the launcher, but not in the game.)
I added new fonts into the core file, added new language selection, made a new FONT_CHI file, and changed all the font names into the font name.

I hope to translate BBCBA, BA2, Pike and Shot and Sengoku Shidai into Chinese Version so more Chinese players can be interested in this game.

Thanks for anyone who is willing to help

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to show Chinese characters in BBCBA?

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Unfortunately only the Archon-based games (so Sanctus and FoG2 and later) have any support for much extended character sets. BBCBA/BA2/etc only supports at most the extended European char set values (basically to handle Cyrilic) to 0x51e (it may be as low as 0x200 for BBCBA).

If we have more people interested in symbolic-font-based languages going forward then we may need to rework the font system to be less resource intensive, but we are happy to try and help! :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shermanVC » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:53 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:24 pm
Unfortunately only the Archon-based games (so Sanctus and FoG2 and later) have any support for much extended character sets. BBCBA/BA2/etc only supports at most the extended European char set values (basically to handle Cyrilic) to 0x51e (it may be as low as 0x200 for BBCBA).

If we have more people interested in symbolic-font-based languages going forward then we may need to rework the font system to be less resource intensive, but we are happy to try and help! :)

Cheers

Pip
Thanks for your reply.

But I am confused because the older version, for example, 1.30, allowed Chinese characters.

I will be glad if the team can update the font system which allows symbolic-font-based. I know it may be some extra works, but I want to make a Chinese translation for the game. I loved this game for years, but it is not famous in the Chinese Community. I guess one of the reason is about the Chinese translation. I recommended this game to several of my friends, but I found that not every Chinese understand English well. So, a Chinese translation may help more Chinese to play this game. I read several posts in the Chinese game forum and the posters are moaning about non-translated games on steam. Even in the steam review, some Chinese comments talked about the translation problems.

If the font system can be updated, I will try my best to finish the Chinese translation for BA ASAP, maybe even BA2 and Sengoku Shidai. I can also send the translation to your team if you can accept it, and even the store page. Hope one-day the Chinese language can be shown on the store page.
boxbox.png
boxbox.png (9.31 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Hope "Chinese" language can be seen in this box.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:25 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, BA/BA2 etc has never supported these kinds of extended characters IIRC (unless perhaps way way back before we unified the font system - it may have worked then as it used Windows to do the font drawing, but that was a very long time ago, prior to the release of the iOS version of BA). We unfortunately have no plans to retrofit extended support to these games (BA and BA2 specifically are hamstrung by the iOS restrictions on updating them on those platforms). Sorry! :(

Cheers

Pip

shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shermanVC » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:42 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:25 pm
I'm not sure what you mean, BA/BA2 etc has never supported these kinds of extended characters IIRC (unless perhaps way way back before we unified the font system - it may have worked then as it used Windows to do the font drawing, but that was a very long time ago, prior to the release of the iOS version of BA). We unfortunately have no plans to retrofit extended support to these games (BA and BA2 specifically are hamstrung by the iOS restrictions on updating them on those platforms). Sorry! :(

Cheers

Pip
Oh... so it is impossible to make a self version Chinese translation for the game...?

That s a little pity because several team members are waiting for some good news.

Still, thanks for your help.

Is there anything I can change by myself?

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 pm

Let me see if I can work anything out, but in the short-term, no - sorry :(

Cheers

Pip

shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shermanVC » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:41 am

pipfromslitherine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 pm
Let me see if I can work anything out, but in the short-term, no - sorry :(

Cheers

Pip
Thanks for your help, I m glad to hear some good news in the future.

Return to “Battle Academy”