Battle For Caen: Phase 1 Beta Release

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Battle For Caen: Phase 1 Beta Release

Post by shermanVC »

ME262 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 am hello Sherman, I have been having a great time playing the cean beta, scenario # six is very tough, after many attemps I cannot win this one.. there are several scripts that are empty and the number of allied loses seems way way to low to even come close to winning. I hope you can adjust this one in your second release? or maybe you can just explain how to kick this ones *ss :twisted: the maps are awesome!
Ah, not sure which mission. Is the 6th mission Authie?
I make all missions based on some kind of history. (Just kind of)
The Authie mission u should be overwhelmed by Jerry, and it is the same for the "burning night".
In Authie ur mission is just to survive, as long as one unit of urs is still there, the mission should be completed.
The easiest way should be hiding one unit somewhere, so maybe u r lucky enough the Jerry does not search for remained units.
It will be bad for camping in the center, Jerry gets more infantry and artillery, it will be worse to fight in the center than fighting on the main entrance of the town.
The flag is not necessary to win the game, abandon it when u cannot hold it, it is just an achievement.
Try to block them at the front gate, but if u failed and lost the Firefly, then retreat is a better option.
Jerry owns 4 mortars and 2 wespe or hummel SPG. They are really deadly, and u have no way to take them out.
The mission is hard because the Canadian did fail in Authie, then they are captured and slaughter
There was around a company of Canadian Infantry, and only one Sherman firefly and one universal carrier in Authie.
But they are facing the SS12 Hitlerjugend's fully counter-attack, the detail is there are 9 destroyed Sherman tanks on the border of the map, they are the Canadian Shermans which first encounter the German counter-attack.

I do want to add more reinforcement, but in history, no reinforcement came to help. The Firefly contacted the HQ for reinforcement, and the HQ responded with reinforcements are on the way, but they are not.
The Canadian do not have enough force to move up to Authie, and the town Buron (The town behind Authie) is also under attack, and it left the Canadian no choice to give up the rescue attempt on Authie.
That s why the mission is really hard and there is no reinforcement.

But it is still for gameplay, I ll try to balance it. I was curious about the difficulty because I know some of them are too fooking hard... and I did it on purpose (LOL)
I believe a campaign should be fun, challenging and not copy and paste. When I made too many missions, of course, it will feel kinda same. But for now, this beta, I believe I made 8 different missions.

"operation deadstick" is about storming the bridge with paratroopers, and "hold until relieved" is a massive defense mission where enemies come from every direction.
"Gold Beach" is about pushing inland when u secured the landing zone, and play with some flame, while "Juno Beach" is more a secure the landing zone, where ur troops fight in close range on the beach.
"Authie" and "Burning Night" is more about how overwhelmed the Canadians were at the beginning of the Campaign. While Authie shows the hopeless Canadian troopers and the tragedy after the battle, "Burning night" is trying to Canadian heroic stand against massive Hitlerjugend's Panther attack. These two missions are made to be hard, so the player will feel the power of the German war machine, the rage of the Hitlerjugend, and the pressure the Commonwealth troops were in Normandy. (Yeah, the Anglo-Canadian faced 8 armored divisions and bunch of tigers even the Kingtiger. And most Jerry is the elite, from ruthless SS12 Hitlerjugend to SS1 SS2 which fought on the Eastern Front, and the newly formed Panzer-Lehr)
"Battle for Oden" is more a traditional push map, but u need to decide where to push first, or push all objectives at the same time. All three points will bring in different reinforcements from Heavy tanks to SPG.
"Port-en-Bessin" is a total infantry map, where the day change, u will have less and less support but more and more troopers.

These are the reason I made the 8 missions, I hope I can make as many missions as possible, but also keep them not the same...
I know at some point, it will be a lie, just like wars, the gameplay will be the same. But until that point, I will try my best to make it always feels quiet different.
And yes, I can try to make the mission feels different, but I can hardly make it fair before someone reports more on the gameplay.
So please, talk more about the gameplay, I am eager to know the quality of the mission itself. If all the missions are too hard or too easy, something is totally wrong.
I m so glad you point out there is a mission too hard. I know it, but I m more curious about how players will react to them.
My goal is to make some missions hard or easy on purpose, to show some kinda feeling the soldiers were feeling in the real battle. But most of them should be easy on easy, challenging on normal and fooking nightmare on hard (XD)

Not sure what scripts are wrong in that mission, but I do get a report from the Port-en-Bessin, where the bombardment and the typhoon strike will not be there. I ll certainly fix that.
If u notice anything else, please report it to me, so I ll fix them.

Keep the good work, thx u and everyone who plays the game, support the campaign and leave a feedback.
Hoping there will be more feedback in the future

Yours sincerely
shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shermanVC »

DatMoff wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:32 am I did, and now I'm thinking to myself "why do I ask these questions like as if half of the website is blocked off for me". The answer is probably because I'm oblivious to everything around me. Regardless, I'm somewhat intrigued by the Canadian/British sniper unit because I don't recall the sniper unit being a two-man squad usually.
LOL
I copied the sniper unit from operation sealion. It is better to have two: for reality, a shooter and a recon; for gameplay, u will not just lose the unit when one of them is killed, so u can make some mistake.
I know in BA2 the sniper is a one-man unit, and I do no like it. BA2 is a good game, but I feel it is too complicated at some point.
I hope it is half and half, not too realistic and hardcore...
And that s why I did not make many new functions in my Caen campaign... I can surely copy the code to add smoke into it, but I chose not to do so...
shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shermanVC »

ME262 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 am hello Sherman, I have been having a great time playing the cean beta, scenario # six is very tough, after many attemps I cannot win this one.. there are several scripts that are empty and the number of allied loses seems way way to low to even come close to winning. I hope you can adjust this one in your second release? or maybe you can just explain how to kick this ones *ss :twisted: the maps are awesome!
20200221055048_1.jpg
20200221055048_1.jpg (616.05 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
These are the destroyed Sherman, u can hardly see it on the normal view... To use the low view, Shift + 3.

About hiding the unit, there are two good spots.
First is next to Authie, there is a small town looked farm area with a bunch of wood. Hide one unit there and do not attack any Jerry, they may not even find u.
The second is in the Buron direction, in the cornfield or the corner of the map, the Jerry will hardly go after u. If u r not sure, just hide multiple units in different locations.
It is the easiest way to win...
Hold the ground... it will be hard...super hard
Maybe u can go for normal or even easy mode? I ll try my best to balance it on the next release.
shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shermanVC »

Or u can go to the editor and delete the Wespe and mortar, it will be much easier
LOL
ME262
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ME262 »

hello again sherman, the scenario is burning night.. Authie was easy to figure out. Burning night however is very difficult.. the parameters of only losing 10 units is .. pardon the pun... deadly! LOL i will make another try here soon. p.s. i meant to say a few of the progress boxes are empty towards the end of scenario.. also the british flag at the church of st. germain is not visable until the germans capture it.. off to the front! :twisted:
shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shermanVC »

ME262 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 pm hello again sherman, the scenario is burning night.. Authie was easy to figure out. Burning night however is very difficult.. the parameters of only losing 10 units is .. pardon the pun... deadly! LOL i will make another try here soon. p.s. i meant to say a few of the progress boxes are empty towards the end of scenario.. also the british flag at the church of st. germain is not visable until the germans capture it.. off to the front! :twisted:
Oh, sorry, the Burning night is the last mission I made before the release, it is quite rushed
I ll try to fix it.

I know that is a terrible one, I remembered 13 panthers on the map, it is deadly. I tried to make fun of that map, so I made too many panthers.
Lose 10 units... I m not sure the function is broking or not, nut if u do lose more than 10, there should be a reinforcement.
I will certainly make it easier, XD

Thanks for the information

Cheers
shermanVC
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shermanVC »

Jesus, I read through all the text and find too many grammar mistakes
I m died now... XD
ME262
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ME262 »

Sherman, you have a great humor about you! still laughing out loud!! if I find any other oddities I will submit them.. please keep making these great campaigns , with all those great maps as well! :D :lol:

Return to “Battle Academy”