work on a mod: War of the Roses

Moderator: Slitherine Core

theBlackPrince
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

work on a mod: War of the Roses

Post by theBlackPrince »

I have a suggestion for a small mod: War of the Roses.

House of Lancaster vs House of York, 1455-1485.

It would be English vs English, immediately after the 100YW. So only minor changes to weapons or troops would be required: we dont need new models. The only major change imho, would be a new campaignmap. And it would be nice if the troops had actual white rose / red rose emblems (instead of french lilies).

Unfortunately I cant do this all by myself. I can make some adjustments in the weapons and unit types. I can do the research, for the actual battles, army composition and leaders. I can make a campaign, and the scenario's. But I cant do the graphics. I have neither the tools nor the experience.

Is anyone interested in working together to create this mod?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Why not do what you can with the existing graphics and if it plays well then someone may help out later to take it the next step.
theBlackPrince

Post by theBlackPrince »

Yes, I think I will.
I just dont like to play an English war on a french map :)

I also have a question.
In a scenario you can have a maximum of 20 units (16 campaign + 4 extra). Is there a way to either have more (extra) units, and/or play a campaign with less than 16 units? Are these numbers 'hardcoded'?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Changing the map is actually easy - just use a different background image and define new zones for each territory. Its fiddly but not technical.
theBlackPrince

Post by theBlackPrince »

My ideas for this mod:
- I like a campaign to reflect the actual battles.
- I dont want repeatable side-shows, cause you can have too much money, negating the effect of the blood-mode.
- Since there are fewer battles (aprox 15 major engagements), you need to gain xp a little faster.
- In the 100 years war the English knights would either fight mounted or on foot, depending on circumstances. In the war of the roses, allmost all knights only fought on foot. So I want to drop the mounted/dismounted armor. But have separate units of mounted knights and dismounted knights.
- This war is after the 100YW. Therefore most, if not all upgrades will be avaliable. But you lack the money to use 'em all.
- In most battles the armies were less than 10,000 men. Some battles were a lot larger though (2nd st Albans, Towton). Also, especially by the end of the war, a lot of mercenary units were used. So I'd like to have a rather small campaign army (8 units?), and a significant number of extra units in some battles (if thats possible...).
- I want to start with a campaign for the Lancaster side, since they lost most battles irl :-)

I also want to make some adaptions in gameplay. I've tried these with the existing campaigns and I'm quite pleased with the results.
- I think the difference between a unit of peasants and a unit of men-at-arms should be more significant. So I lower the base to-hit chance, increase the effect of the attack-defend difference and lower the delaying factor (a hit is more often a hit).
- I also think a cavalry charge should have more impact, so I want to increase trample-factors.
- The use of a spear by foot is totally different form the use on horseback. On foot its high defense/low attack (as modelled). On a horse though its pretty clumsy for defense but very good for attack. So the cavalry spear should have low defense/high attack (i.e. similar to, but not as good as a lance).
- A buckler gives some defence in hand-to-hand combat, but is near useless against arrows.
- I want to lower the required xp points for some of the more exotic skills (or they will never get choosen).
theBlackPrince

Post by theBlackPrince »

I've map a list of the battles for this campaign. Now I'm comparing the historical terrain (of the actual battles) with the available maps. Is there an easy way to view/compare the maps?

Return to “HISTORY™ Great Battles Medieval : Modding”