Holding the Fortress Mission #5 AAR

Open beta forum

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Holding the Fortress Mission #5 AAR

Post by Old_Warrior »

Brutal mission. Hard to get out of the town. Lots of AIRBORNE infantry too. Trying to figure out which port situation this is. Cannot remember the Airborne helping to take one but ...

I lost over 12 units. Was able to wipe out the Priest. Did destroy 30 units.

The thing about the missions is that the battle briefings rarely tell you about reinforcements so you usually have to play the scenario through twice (the first being to find out what you get) and then use that second play to actually figure out how to win. Could the briefings say something about reinforcements? I know that I am going to start adding that into my missions if they are not there already.

Some of the hits were a bit hard to believe. Panthers wiped out rather easily. My Panzerschreck unit moved up adjacent IN A BUILDING to a M5 but somehow they must have made too much noise because the guys in the noisy tank heard them and turned and fired on them. Is it me or does the AI seem to have instant 100 percent ability to perform response fire? I watch the AI move and it is not that way with my vehicles. They sit and just get hammered. MAYBE ONE SHOT MAX.

Anyway, this mission is a bit brutal. I think a bit much but perhaps the guys playtesting these missions are the aces of the club. I also mention that I am playing on the hardest realism setting but since that was default BA before the realism settings were added it is not much new there.

Suggestion: create some more gaps to exit the town. Kind of difficult to get through the town and exit when there seems to be only 3 points open ....

My suggestion on playing this - wait FIFTEEN TURNS until you get all of your units and then go after the US AI player. By then the US will probably have moved up to attack a few times and you can wipe out a lot of infantry in the open. Just shift your units around a bit to avoid the old detection game.

All UI and ACH stars worked correctly. I did not spot any issues with the code. Nice to see new vehicles for this module and in this mission.
dickesKind
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Holding the Fortress Mission #5 AAR

Post by dickesKind »

Old_Warrior wrote: The thing about the missions is that the battle briefings rarely tell you about reinforcements so you usually have to play the scenario through twice (the first being to find out what you get) and then use that second play to actually figure out how to win.
Imo this is a huge problem in MP-scenarios too. You rarely get to know which kind of reinforcements you can expect and when. And without this information it is often very hard to plan ahead. It should at least tell you if you can expect infantry or armoured forces and around which turn it will arrive. I wanted to say this for a long time. Sorry that I used your thread for this.

Regards...
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

No problem. I am getting ready to go under the magnifier next with my project so we shall see how my maps work out.
cupoftea
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by cupoftea »

Am guessing that this mission was based on the battle of Cherbourg which was bloodily intense for both sides
Let them hate me, as long as they fear me. Caligula

Return to “Battle Academy : Open Beta”