Sellasa 222BC Scenario Design & Modding Questions

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Sellasa 222BC Scenario Design & Modding Questions

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:26 pm

I am working on a scenario for this battle using Philip Sabin’s “Lost Battles” book and despite several trawls through the rules I have been unable to find out the ground scale per hex. Sabin’s layout map is 4kms square although I suspect I could trim the battlefield to 3kms square if necessary. If the maximum 50 by 50 map size is still not big enough is their any prospect of the maximum map size being increased with future expansion packs ?

Also I want to add some extra troop graphics to those already available, such as late Spartan “Perioicoi Phalanx”, unreformed Spartan Hoplites and extra variations for “Thureophoroi”, “Illyrians “, “Tarantines” & Shielded Macedonian Cavalry. I have started working on the Perioicoi Phalanx”, in Photoshop using the Seleucid Pikeman as a basis. Is this as straightforward as it seems, and are there any issues relating o setting up and saving the files that I need to be aware of ?

It seems to me that this game has the potential to become the turn based equivalent of the “Total War” series when it comes to modding, and a sort of Ancient / Medieval equivalent of “Age Of Rifles” when it comes to user created scenarios. What is the attitude of Slitherine Strategies to modders of the game and is there a way to integrate the modding process into the development of the game without discouraging the production of expansion packs?

Many thanks
Ian

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 pm

A group of players for Commander Europe at War basically modded a whole new game: expanded maps, new order of battle, new graphics for the icons etc and Slitherine released it as a stand alone update. I don't think you will have any problems with the guys from Slitherine in that way. Can't help you out on the tech stuff beyond my comprehension.

As far as battle size goes, you could use the largest map and then increase the number of men in a unit if that helps any. Personally I'm not a big fan of the monster games I prefer the medium or smaller easier to move around maps and games but that is personal choice only. Probably because I play the TT game I am fine with battles being shrunk down to easier to handle size

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”