Battle of Bosworth Field 1485

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Obelix
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Obelix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi Stockwellpete

Firstly, thanks very much for making this scenario! :D

I've just finished a multiplayer game of it but it did not go at all well for the Yorkists, they're Billmen just seemed to run away at the sight of blood. In fact, I've never seen so many units Rout in a single turn before!!

We didn't start moving either Stanley or Northumberland's forces until the break points had gone over 20, but the game actually ended the next turn as the Yorkists just melted away.

I've often found the Billmen to be pretty rubbish in the Wars of the Roses scenarios, so wonder whether (some of) the Yorkist ones should be made a little less brittle. Admittedly this is only based on the experience of one game. It was fast paced and fun, but in a way slightly frustrating because I was hoping for a bit of a tougher fight. Poor Richard never really had a chance to call out for a Horse...

My second thought revolves around the house rules for allowing Northumberland and Stanley to move - it may be me but I found the instructions on that a little confusing and I'd much prefer a simple "once this happens, Stanley can join in".

Putting all the above into perspective, I still really enjoyed the game as it's one of my favourite Wars of the Roses battles, one I'd like to refight in due course.

Bill

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello Obelix. I am glad you enjoyed my scenario. I have played it many times and Richard has won his fair share of battles. Often with the billmen it really depends on what happens on "impact" - if they lose a lot of men then they can fall apart quite quickly, but sometimes they will perform heroically (on either side).

The house rule takes a little bit of getting used to - the main thing to understand is that the figure you are looking for is the TOTAL number of break points at the end of ANY turn - and if that number is 5-10-15-20-25-30 or 35 then the other contingents will join in. In this way both commanders do not know when their allies might appear and which set of allies will move first. Hopefully this simple device will mean that the scenario will create many different situations and that players will want to play it more than once. :wink:

Obelix

Post by Obelix » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for the explanation on the House rules, that makes more sense now!

I'm glad to hear that Richard can win too, because it really looked like a massacre in our game. Have to give it another go. :)

Obelix

Post by Obelix » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:51 am

Hi

Gave it another go against a different player, and I was Richard this time.

This time around it was a much closer fight than the previous time, but unfortunately the House of York has still lost the throne, this time losing 39/39 against 17/39.

It is fun but those Billmen were still routing very easily, dragging a lot of troops with them, and although I managed to charge Henry Tudor in the rear, he fought me off and shortly after the end was nigh...

My question is how does Richard win?

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Obelix wrote:Hi

Gave it another go against a different player, and I was Richard this time.

This time around it was a much closer fight than the previous time, but unfortunately the House of York has still lost the throne, this time losing 39/39 against 17/39.

It is fun but those Billmen were still routing very easily, dragging a lot of troops with them, and although I managed to charge Henry Tudor in the rear, he fought me off and shortly after the end was nigh...

My question is how does Richard win?
OK, I'll try and show you. :lol: Challenge is on the system, I will be Richard, password is "henrytudor".

Obelix

Post by Obelix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi

Sorry I'd not visited for a few days, I've just noticed your reply so I'll pick up the challenge now.

See you in there!

Obelix

Post by Obelix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi

Just noticed that someone else must have snapped this up!!

I'll issue a new challenge in a moment.

Bill

Brigz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Brigz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:56 am

Bill
Amazing. Stockwellpete sets up a challenge for you, Obelix, and someone else uses the password to snatch it up. How very rude and piggish. That game pirate should be ashamed.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:22 am

Brigz wrote:Amazing. Stockwellpete sets up a challenge for you, Obelix, and someone else uses the password to snatch it up. How very rude and piggish. That game pirate should be ashamed.
Whoa. Hold your horses! :lol: There was no "game pirate". I took the challenge off because I wasn't sure if Obelix wanted to play multi-player. It is sorted now - we are going to start our game shortly.

In the two games I played against Tim, btw, Richard won both times!

Brigz

Post by Brigz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:11 pm

stockwellpete wrote:Whoa. Hold your horses! :lol: There was no "game pirate". I took the challenge off because I wasn't sure if Obelix wanted to play multi-player. It is sorted now - we are going to start our game shortly.

In the two games I played against Tim, btw, Richard won both times!
Glad to hear that. My faith in humanity is restored.

Obelix

Post by Obelix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:24 am

Brigz wrote:

Bill
Amazing. Stockwellpete sets up a challenge for you, Obelix, and someone else uses the password to snatch it up. How very rude and piggish. That game pirate should be ashamed.
I almost thought that was a confession until I read Stockwellpete's reply below!

I'd just like to thank Pete for an excellent game. Alas, poor Richard didn't come out of it well, in fact he didn't come out of it at all, but it's great fun and Pete should be commended not only for designing this and other great scenarios, but also for playing them through with people like me.

It would be great if Slitherine would include more historical scenarios by this designer in future releases. :wink:

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks very much, Obelix. I thought it might be too much for Richard to win three in a row! :lol: Just one point I don't think I made during our game - I try to build what I call a "2:1" balance into the game. That is to say, the historical victor is given a slight advantage so they can win around 2 times out of three given players of fairly similar capabilities. :wink:

Obelix

Post by Obelix » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:48 pm

LOL, I like your historical balancer!! :D

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sat May 07, 2011 11:45 am

Updated. John Howard, Duke of Norfolk has dismounted from his horse and Henry Tudor has at last found that bit of armour that protects his throat. :wink:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15461007/Boswor ... 20PWv5.rar

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”