fogman
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

HASTINGS 1066

Post by fogman » Sun May 12, 2013 11:55 pm

RE-DESIGNED VERSION
Fm Hastings 1066.zip
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Retro-fitted with the latest design cues, especially the use of accessory units for missiles fire instead of actual archers counters, positive points, immobile units, cut-to-the-chase setup. A more 'authentic' experience and better balance.

Suitable for game against the Anglo-Saxon AI.

67 moving BGs, 18 turns.
warning: has same name as previous version. needs to delete previous version first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OLD

UPDATE TO FIRST VERSION: minor changes to saxon order of battle, some redrawing of the map.
Fm Hastings 1066.zip
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OLD
First version
Deleted

No need to introduce this iconic battle. Info is plentiful on Hastings. A level headed discussion of the primary sources is found in Frank Barlow's 'The Godwin: the Rise and Fall of a Noble Dynasty' (Pearson-Longman, 2002). The late Barlow was a leading medievalist who wrote the standard biography of Edward the Confessor and he was also the translator and editor of the 'Carmen de Hastingae' the earliest (and contemporary) account of the battle of Hastings.

There are a few of historical events/facts that I wanted to make happen:
the Bretons' attack and probable failure
the indiscipline of the fyrd storming out of the shield wall
the inability of the norman cavalry to overwhelm the shield wall on its own

In general, I strove to make it feel like hastings, at least the idea we have of it, and not some random battle with a more precise than usual order of battle.
Last edited by fogman on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: HASTINGS 1066

Post by ZeaBed » Mon May 13, 2013 1:16 am

Thank you fogman, this is one of my favorite battles. Everytime I read an account of this battle I have to rub one eye. Poor Harold, all that fast marching for nothing.

P.S. By the way, how do you manage to get that download counter in the link? Useful feedback and interest gauge. I like it.

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks !

fogman

Post by fogman » Tue May 14, 2013 1:49 am

ZeaBed wrote:Thank you fogman, this is one of my favorite battles. Everytime I read an account of this battle I have to rub one eye. Poor Harold, all that fast marching for nothing.

P.S. By the way, how do you manage to get that download counter in the link? Useful feedback and interest gauge. I like it.
the download counter is internal to the inline attachment.

maximvs
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by maximvs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 am

Many thanks, great scenario!

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by massina_nz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for the scenario - I have written a brief review of it at the FOG Wiki site - http://fog-pc-wiki.wikispaces.com/User+ ... +Scenarios

fogman

Post by fogman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm

thank you for your review. you basically wrote the designer's notes for me, with a few qualifications. my impetus for designing scenarios though is not primarily play balance but historical accuracy, which in most cases drives me to ignore DAG interpretations (see especially Argentoratum, my favourite 'work'). and indeed I wrote them originally to play hot-seat in order to SIMULATE particular battles.

the reason why the knights are not lancers is twofold:

a) the norman cavalry was extremely well handled and it is their ability to attack and retreat judiciously, combined with the constant barrage of arrows, that eventually wore down the shield wall. that aspect certainly favours the normans but it is a true reflection of what happened;

b) there is a debate whether western heavy cavalry at the time charged with lance/spears couched or held overhead. the bayeux tapestry favours the spear held overhead.

there is generally a problem with the anarchy rule in FOG. anarchy is a function of command & control and discipline, not of troop type. a barbarian warband is understandably difficult to control but it is practically unheard of for roman legionaries (being drilled and near command mitigate the problem but still it shouldn't be a worry at all) to charge out of line; ditto for pike formations. on a related note, the way lancers cannot escape rear attacks unlike other heavy cavalry is another source of annoyance.

note also that the smaller second line of fyrd is defensive spears, but poor rated so the saxon player will have to think twice before swapping. I have already made some changes, after my paired game and to be posted shortly, that should help the saxons: harold's brothers are given commander status and posted on the wings; a tiny redrawing of the crest will also strengthen the saxon right by squeezing in an extra huscarl. as of now that wing is vulnerable whereas historically the bretons were routed.

massina_nz

Post by massina_nz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 pm

fogman wrote:<snip> a tiny redrawing of the crest will also strengthen the saxon right by squeezing in an extra huscarl. as of now that wing is vulnerable whereas historically the bretons were routed.
Yes I was surprised how well the Bretons could do, I was expecting them to entirely rout, but they gave as good as they got.

It's a very hard battle to simulate using FOG. I appreciate your efforts.

fogman

Post by fogman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:33 am

updated

fogman

Post by fogman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Completely new version uploaded.