ANGORA 1402

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

fogman
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

ANGORA 1402

Post by fogman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:32 am

UPDATE: the newest version: minor revision of timurid order of battle.
Fm Angora 1402.zip
(6.42 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OLD

As timurid power expanded westward from the eastern reaches of Iran, it inevitably came into conflict with that of the Ottomans. After years of tension, it exploded in 1402. At Angora, present day Ankara, the two steppes empires collided...

Designer's notes:

Fantastic numbers were given for both armies - an eyewitness estimated more than a million for each side! Keeping in mind that a few years earlier, at Nikopolis, the Ottomans fielded at most 20,000, it made sense to accept something in the order of 30,000 - 40,000. Most sources gave the Timurids an edge in number but it is not conclusive - the chroniclers may have been influenced by the overwhelming victory gained by Timur.

One major incident of the battle was the defection of the Ottoman Turkoman allies. It appeared they fled the field, rather than attacking the Ottomans from behind. I have simply removed them from play and simulated the effect of their flight by dropping by one level the morale rating of all the units in the rear echelons of the Ottoman army.

I have put a certain amount of baggage in the hill behind the Ottoman line and made it more defensively attractive as an incentive for the Ottomans to withdraw to it should the battle turn against them. It is on that hill that historically Bayazid made his last stand.

A note on the terrain. The Timurids dammed the Cubuk stream to deny the Ottomans water, hence the use of a combination of stream and soft sand on the Ottoman half. Bayazid anchored his right wing on a large hill (mount Mire) which I have made densely wooded to make it difficult for the Timurids to make a non-historical flanking manoeuvre.

Sources are scattered but a good informative book on the Timurids is Beatrice Manz's 'The Rise and Rule of Tamerlane' (Cambridge U Press, 1999).

This is the last scenario I will design in the foreseeable future. Hope you have enjoyed them. It was a quest for exacting historical accuracy that drove me as I was not satisfied with what I had found. But it is time to do something else.

Fogman
Last edited by fogman on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: ANGORA 1402

Post by massina_nz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:01 am

Posted a review of this battle on the FOG wiki site - http://fog-pc-wiki.wikispaces.com/User+ ... +Scenarios.

Really enjoyed this battle, thanks for creating it. Best version of Angora I've seen so far.

fogman

Re: ANGORA 1402

Post by fogman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:32 am

updated

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”