Temp League - Game Six - Early Carthage vs Carthage in Italy

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Temp League - Game Six - Early Carthage vs Carthage in Italy

Post by massina_nz »

Well I choose the best map I thought of the choices I had, haven’t played this map before. Oh dear lots of marsh and lots of opponent MF, damn I can’t really move my main forces forward, so I send out my cavalry to harass.
massina_nz

Turn Two

Post by massina_nz »

Nothing much happening yet– my opponent isn’t too impressed by this map either. I get a LH to stick but didn’t expect it, otherwise I would have positioned this unit facing back (it moved before the LF that stuck).
massina_nz

Turn Three

Post by massina_nz »

My army is stuck, it can’t move forward, so I have to allow the enemy to come to me, which means I have completely lost the initiative due to my map choice, this seemed to be the best map to choose as the other three looked very rough, but this is actually the worse choice I could have made.
massina_nz

Turn Four

Post by massina_nz »

Luckily my fragmented LF survives as the enemy Numidian cavalry routs. My opponent is leading with his spearmen, fully aware that my chariots will wreak havoc on the Campanian blades and his MF. All I can do is wait. Shocking general ship really.
massina_nz

Turn Five

Post by massina_nz »

More positioning – My enemy’s weakness is his MF in the open, however he can use his spearmen to just push the mF’s greatest threat, my cavalry back. On a more open map it would be different. But I didn’t choose one! I just thought I had!
massina_nz

Turn Six

Post by massina_nz »

I get aggressive and lock in some skirmishers, hoping to expose the non spears to my chariots. In hindsight this was a poor decision as all of my LF end up routing eventually.
massina_nz

Turn Seven

Post by massina_nz »

I surprise my opponent with the number chariots I have, so far so good in the centre – if I can get the upper hand here it could prove vital.
Last edited by massina_nz on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
massina_nz

Turn Eight

Post by massina_nz »

Despite losing several LF units this turn, things look promising as most of the enemy veteran spearmen are either fragmented, below or at 75%. If I can break the spearmen in the centre then I have a chance as the heavy chariots will then be able to turn their attention elsewhere.
massina_nz

Turn Nine

Post by massina_nz »

The fight rages on, as the enemy arrives at my flanks, will I be able to break the centre before the envelop me? Some of the enemy Veteran African Spearmen are getting very close to automatic rout levels, and their C-in-C looks very vulnerable.
massina_nz

Turn Ten

Post by massina_nz »

The fighting is brutal, results are pretty even at the moment, but I think I’m vulnerable to a lot of rear attacks next turn, so the game for me could be over next turn.
massina_nz

Turn Eleven

Post by massina_nz »

It’s just plain chaotic here, a lot of my moves are just to cover the rear hexes of my exposed units already in combat. See at (X) how I’ve attacked a routing unit, as when it moves it will drag my unit into the rear of the enemy C-in-C and will disrupt it and lock it into combat.
massina_nz

Turn Twelve

Post by massina_nz »

My cavalry on the left dissolve, and I can’t get the domino routs I need to even things up. So I end up losing in the following enemy turn.

In retrospect my poor map choice doomed me from the start. My cavalry advantage was wiped away by all the rough terrain.

Return to “Field of Glory : AAR's”