I am thinking of running a campaign...

Forum for campaigns based around the Field of Glory digital version

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Archie
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

I am thinking of running a campaign...

Post by Archie »

I am thinking of running a campaign, game played a little like risk.

It would use “ROR DAG” armies between the 280BC to 200BC; and require a minimum of 8 players, to a maximum of 12 players.

Thought I test the water before I go any farther.

Jotted a few ideas down, would be interested in comments and in anybody interested in joining in.

The map I used would be a simply boxed map around the Mediterranean, with coloured pins to highlight the armies.

Points to show who, or which empire was winning at the end of each turn.

Domination...

Idea of the game is to conquer and dominate all the countries on the map, timeline 280BC to 200BC (Rise of Rome).

Each player goes into the hat, are drawn an army and its country. He takes charge of that army and he then proceeds to attack or defend himself from those countries around him.

Each country starts with three armies pieces; one must always remain in that country to guard the capital. The others are allowed to exploit or defend.

A country is allowed a maximum of three army’s pieces, plus one for each country's capital in its empire that it controls.

Each army piece has a DAG point value of 500 points. Only one army moves per country, per a turn.

Any country that has its capital taken, becomes part of that countries empire, and from there on that player has to take orders from his new rulers. A conquered country is allowed a maximum build of only two army’s pieces, and may move one, per season as directed.

There are four moves per a year. At the end of each turn a country is rewarded with 200 points. A conquered country is rewarded with 150 points, 100 for its own administration, and 50 points as tribute to its rulers.

Any ruler or captured general within an empire can choose which “DAG army type” to battle with, from within that empire.

Loose a battle, loose that army piece.

To attack a capital, attacker must have two army’s pieces in that country. Loose and you lose an army and 250 points.

Movement

One Army piece moves per country per turn. A move is from country to country.
Movement can cost points depending upon the season and the location.

Local sea crossings 30 points, doubled in spring and autumn i.e. Gibraltar straights, Sicily to Tunisia.

Other sea crossing 60 points doubled in spring and autumn.

All sea crossings require a dice throw, “1-8” successful crossing.
“9” blown off course, returned to port. “10” blown off course docks in the country to your left, “11” docks to your country to your right, “12” army lost at sea.

Dock outside your Empire and it is classed as an act of war.

Desert: spring and Autumn 20 points, Summer 50 points i.e. Egypt.

Mountains: Spring and Autumn 25 points, Winter 50 points may be uncross able on some winter turns if the weather is severe (6 on dice) i.e. Alps.

Crossing from the mountains, or the desert cost no points if moving from one friendly country to another.

New armies pieces start from their country of origin.

Other points

Only the ruler of an Empire or ruler of a single domain can replay against the same player on the following move.

A ruler who has been reduced to a general must if possible be rotated to another front, with another general.

Points are banked, and removed from your account. When an army is lost, you lose those points.
Armies are just replaced, deducted from your points, but replaced, that is as long as you have those points in the bank. Points must be available prior to any movement, or attack that costs points.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I'll give it a shot.
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

Sounds good to me , count me in !
Archie

Post by Archie »

Thats 3 so far...

Rebellions

Any general who accumulates and retains 500 points (remember you can never go below that of the armies you have on the board), can request by PM, to rebel against his ruler. Each turn from there on the die is thrown; you then have the right to challenge the ruler on that go. Succeed and you get you country back, and the right to select any army you have enlisted (played from the empire).

Allies

Rulers (players) are welcome to confer (via PM) with each other, plots to gain countries, even loan other rulers points via the banker. Loan of points must be repaid with 50% interest.

Generals can only accept bribes of 500 points that are lodged with the bank and only for rebellion, and are non-returnable.

Winning a battle

Winner receives 50 points a battle.

Movement

No more than four armies per country.
BlindSniper
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by BlindSniper »

Can new players join this campaign?
Field of Glory
Advanced Squad Leader
Archie

Post by Archie »

Open to everybody, so your welcome.

Never ran a campaign like this before, so, see how it runs, but have run a few tournments and one other campaign concerning WW2. That went well, but they were concerned with teams... this is a bit more sinister and brutal.
BlindSniper

Post by BlindSniper »

Eh eh, anyhow it seems funny. Thanks

Quick question about territories: how many?
One country for player and then there are other territories that players can conquer or only countries?
Field of Glory
Advanced Squad Leader
Archie

Post by Archie »

There would only be the number of countries per players... but a minimum of eight, so perhaps they should be called regions. I hoping to get something inbetween Risk, and snakes and ladders... but perhaps it may not be playable, just have to give it a roll to see.

But with the question of newbies joining campaigns or even tournments, I never seen newbies turned away on any gaming web site. Normally encouraged, the more the merrier.

Glad of any comment though as I normally have tunnel vision, and will miss the obvious ... even when it means there no engine in the car!
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

A quick observation: You list an 80 year time spand at four turns a year. That's 320 turns! I've been in several of these campaigns and the seldom lats more than 10 turns before burnout sets in.

Deeter
Archie

Post by Archie »

quick observation: You list an 80 year time spand at four turns a year. That's 320 turns! I've been in several of these campaigns and the seldom lats more than 10 turns before burnout sets in.
Thats the DAG army time period, at the end of each move the ruler with the most points is leading, until at some point one leader should with his generals... dominate. the map. Expect the campaign not to go beyond 12 turns.

If it collapses after a few turns player with the most points wins.

DAG armies from that time span that would go into the hat would be:

Mid-Republic of Rome
Gallic (Later Lowlands)
Gallic (Later Hill tribes)
Illyrian (Common)
Spanish (Iberian)
Spanish (Celtiberian)
Pyrrhic
Later Seleucid (post 166BC)
Later Carthaqinian (pre 235BC)
Later Macedonian
Early Armenian
Parthian
Bosporan

Thats the armies... may be more or some less, will give this more attention if it gets off the ground.

Perhaps each country/region should have a set value of points... when conqued and held... 500pts, thats lost if reconqued, and is not transferable to armies or moves.
jonno
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jonno »

If there are still places - then please count me in...

Cheers, Jon
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Demetrios
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Tourney

Post by Demetrios »

Hi Archie,

I´m working on a similiar campaign idea. Your set up sounds interesting.
Just try to keep things simple and leave as much of the administration to the players as possible !

Count me in for your tourney.

Cheers, Klaus
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
Ferb
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Ferb »

I'll join if there's a spot free.

Ferb
TJD

Post by TJD »

I'd like a slot too! Hope one is left.

Tim
Archie

Post by Archie »

Sorry guys ... but not enough interst was shown at the time. Have put this idea to bed.

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”