Steam Store vs Matrix Store

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Crisis
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Steam Store vs Matrix Store

Post by Crisis »

Why is the difference in price between Steam Store and Matrix Store? Is there any perk i should know?

I'd prefer to buy directly from your Store and normally I do when the difference is pocket change, but as of today I can buy WitE2 + TOAW 4 on Steam for nearly the same price to buy only WitE2 on your store. And that's no more pocket change. You can see in my account that i have plenty of games, bought both on Steam Store and your Store.

I know that being logged on Steam is a requisite to play games bought on their store, and yours are direct downloads. Not that i really care whilst i can play. And I'd like to think that Steam has some costs you don't have as owner or publisher of your games. Not that i ask for parity or lower prices on your side, but two games for the price of only one gets in my nerves.

So, please, give me a good motive to buy from your store and not from Steam's.

Thank you for some awesome games. :D
ernieschwitz
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Steam Store vs Matrix Store

Post by ernieschwitz »

There is the obvious difference that Steam is cheaper than the Matrix/Slitherine. That also means that the developer gets less "pocket change", since lower price means lower income. However Steam provides a bigger exposure to the developers game, hence more sales. Steam also takes a piece of the "pocket change", as well as the publisher (Matrix/Slitherine) does. So less income from Steam once again.

There are however differences other than money too. Steam lets you download the game, true, but you don't get a license to the game. You are sort of getting a rental, with a rental periode of however long the service exists. You also don't get to modify the game more than steam would allow you to normally. This can mean that you cannot use custom graphics, because you are forced to update, whenever steam feels you need to, and the process is automatic, and Steam detects if something has been modified, and overwrites it. In some cases you don't have access to beta patches, and those usually fix stuff, earlier than not getting a patch, and may contain new features.

So in short, if you want more control over the game you buy, and support the developer more, you should choose the Matrix/Slitherine store. If you want to save money, and don't care about control, feel free to use Steam.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

5 notes:
- I don’t find the difference huge in general between Steam store vs Matrix store
- with birthday coupons or promotions, Slitherine can be much cheaper than Steam
- there are several people in the forum who have problems installing games, with Steam this would not be the case
- backup in the Steam cloud is very convenient for people who move
- always keep your game up to date (as well as your OS)
-pag-
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by -pag- »

I’ve never had a problem DL directly from Matrix/Slitherine and have been pleased with my purchases.
I avoid Steam. I don’t like their client software running in the background even offline, nor do I like being at their mercy when THEY decide to change their launcher software.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

-pag- wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:43 am I’ve never had a problem DL directly from Matrix/Slitherine and have been pleased with my purchases.
I avoid Steam. I don’t like their client software running in the background even offline, nor do I like being at their mercy when THEY decide to change their launcher software.
This is configurable.
IbrahimPasha

Post by IbrahimPasha »

Steam often offers competitive pricing due to its large user base and frequent sales events, which can drive down game prices. Additionally, Steam has a robust marketplace for third-party sellers, leading to lower prices through competition.
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

The further you get from the person who made the game, the less money they get for the sale.

Slitherine Group offers a free Steam Key for almost everything. Why buy on Steam if you don't need to.

Pricing, well once a year I get a coupon gift if I genuinely need to save a few bucks. They have numerous sales as well.

Steam is a handy means to install and update. A handy alternative to the Slitherine Group forums. But in the end, why cheat yourself for a few bucks. Buy the ful installer here, and get the free Steam key if you can. Use the Steam option maybe, but it's more practical to buy here, and a better deal for the dev.

And at the end of the year, yer computer better have Windows 10 or Steam is going to leave you stranded. Yippee fricking hurrah. Reinstalled all my games recently to avoid this hassle. My laptop is just fine for performance, it just lacks Windows 10. My big desktop can play the games I only have on Steam, but it isn't my favourite choice of machine (not as mobile, it's stuck in the corner here).
I CAN be reached
email me at sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com

Return to “General Discussion”