Pardon the Interruption but .... Provocator

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Pardon the Interruption but .... Provocator

Post by Grondel »

DefiantXYX wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:18 am That is not possible, right now I was talking about 1939/1940, so you have to compare 109F and Stuka-R or Ju88. I am not sure but I have the feeling there is not much difference prestige wise.
Bf 109F is 130 prestige.
Ju87B is 150, He111H2 is 290 and Ju 88 is 340.

So it is very possible. :) all are more expensive and the AI calculates all attacks on those targets not just one by one. pn a one by one basis attacking the fighter plane will always be better but when u do like 4-5 attacks that might change.

Similar behaviour can be seen with AI infantry that has no transport attached. they will even do attacks on tanks where they do 1 suppression and loose 4-5 str.

But u are right in the base point. AI could def use some upgrade. Just not too good or we puny humans will have 0 fun anymore with this. :)

sers,
Thomas
DefiantXYX
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by DefiantXYX »

Grondel wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:35 am Bf 109F is 130 prestige.
Oh, well that is a lot and explains why level bombers are always in the focus.
Very annoying in the second mission of operation seelion. You have to kill the english fleet as fast as possible but the AI is wasting everything just to get some of your bombers down.
Btw. I am still waiting for a rework of this part, so that you really can safe your fleet. I want to see the Bismark and Zeppelin in 1945/1946 :)
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

DefiantXYX wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:54 am Btw. I am still waiting for a rework of this part, so that you really can safe your fleet. I want to see the Bismark and Zeppelin in 1945/1946 :)
If i like the sea battle changes that are to come with Pacific i might do a kriegsmarine-campaign as little side project to the PC1-remake mod.
feel free to make suggestions for that. :)

sers,
Thomas
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

I am not sure if that can work properly, just naval fights could be boring. There must be a reason why pacifiz never comes out, I think they have huge problems to make the naval fights balanced and interesting.

Imo naval should always be integrated in a map when possible. Norway or Seaslion in Panzergeneral are fantastic maps!
BarbarianHunter
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BarbarianHunter »

DefiantXYX wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:54 am
Grondel wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:35 am Bf 109F is 130 prestige.
Very annoying in the second mission of operation seelion. You have to kill the english fleet as fast as possible but the AI is wasting everything just to get some of your bombers down.
Why sink it when you can farm it for +2 ground defense :P ? I moved singular units one after the next to the coast where they got the +2. Depending on how fast you dispatch the ground defenders in the center & north, you can get +2 for your whole army.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

BarbarianHunter wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:33 pm Why sink it...
...cause British ships...

sers,
Thomas
BarbarianHunter
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Grondel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:07 pm
BarbarianHunter wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:33 pm Why sink it...
...cause British ships...

sers,
Thomas
3 word summary of the decision to produce Bismark class BB?
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

BarbarianHunter wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:33 pm Why sink it when you can farm it for +2 ground defense :P ? I moved singular units one after the next to the coast where they got the +2. Depending on how fast you dispatch the ground defenders in the center & north, you can get +2 for your whole army.
Well, first of all for me that is like bug abusing and it doenst really work for me. The main part of the fleet is only doing drive by shooting and heading directly to my fleet. I cant let my main fleet die just to cheat myself some awards.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

DefiantXYX wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:39 am I cant let my main fleet die just to cheat myself some awards.
I resisted the urge to write something like that for nearly 24 hours now. :) thx for taking the burden off me.

sers,
Thomas
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

You are welcome.
But tbh I might abuse something similar in dunkirchen, in the air only scenario. Since there are some spots where 3-4 aa-units try to protect stuff, I might also farm some defensive rewards. But one objective is to kill AA guns, so it is not 100% abuse :P
BarbarianHunter
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

DefiantXYX wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:39 am
BarbarianHunter wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:33 pm Why sink it when you can farm it for +2 ground defense :P ? I moved singular units one after the next to the coast where they got the +2. Depending on how fast you dispatch the ground defenders in the center & north, you can get +2 for your whole army.
Well, first of all for me that is like bug abusing and it doesnt really work for me. The main part of the fleet is only doing drive by shooting and heading directly to my fleet. I cant let my main fleet die just to cheat myself some awards.
Well, one man's bug is another's dev provided +2 ground or air defense puzzle. Puzzles are a thing in this game, right? Anyway, I'm somewhat hesitant to engage in a David v. Goliath matchup (as I'd have to game the AI with defensive support citidels). So far as I know the two who have taken issue with my +2 ground defense "bug/cheat" play DvG. Any pointers that doesn't cheat by gaming the AI?
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

BarbarianHunter wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:48 pm So far as I know the two who have taken issue with my +2 ground defense "bug/cheat" play DvG. Any pointers that doesn't cheat by gaming the AI?
not sure what ur asking.

sers,
Thomas
BarbarianHunter
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Grondel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:44 pm
BarbarianHunter wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:48 pm So far as I know the two who have taken issue with my +2 ground defense "bug/cheat" play DvG. Any pointers that doesn't cheat by gaming the AI?
not sure what ur asking.

sers,
Thomas
It's more sarcastic than an actual query. I try not to be negative but was somewhat taken aback by the reply inferring my gameplay involves exploiting bugs & cheats. The inference being it's impossible to play DvG on Generalissimus without grossly exploiting the AI's inherent vulnerabilities. No serious reply is being sought. Hope this clarifies.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

BarbarianHunter wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:59 pm The inference being it's impossible to play DvG on Generalissimus without grossly exploiting the AI's inherent vulnerabilities.
If i play generallissimus with DvG depends heavily on the heroes i get. Roughly at AO42/43+(depends on luck ofc) the number of OP hero combinations is a such a point that anything less is perceived boring by me.

In addition i superimpose several houserules on myself:
- No Vigilant on tanks (with the exception of that Japan-dude who nearly made me stop playing the AO for good, since Vigilant+tank only)
- no camouflage on AT or AA guns.
- No AT-support on tanks
- no instagib-prestige printers (overwhelming+envelopment+scavenger)
- no overrun on artillerie
- Provocator only on StuGIIIb, Brummbär, Sturmtiger

Yes, the AI is still not the smartest of enemies, but this is the way i need to play to make the game feel challenging when playing the AO or the base game.

I always play with limited stock turned on. Sadly the other "advanced" settings are unfinished/broken atm.

I guess the main diffrence between our playstyle is that u try to always safe/keep ur core-units.

sers,
Thomas
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

If you are interested in GD2 awards how did you miss Eben-Emael.
There is a Fort in the North on the East side of the West River that allows you pick up GD2 for most of your infantry.
And it's just a little out of the way on the march to the main battle.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
BarbarianHunter
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

dalfrede wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:17 pm If you are interested in GD2 awards how did you miss Eben-Emael.
There is a Fort in the North on the East side of the West River that allows you pick up GD2 for most of your infantry.
A fair question. I stumbled upon Eben-Emael and was able to farm the +2 to the North. I generally stay away from the forts in the South so it never occured to me. This leads into a reply to Grondel's point re: playsytles. I'm not sure it's that I want to protect my core-units. If I had to say, I'd wager that it's our different methods of analysis we use while playing and things we choose to remember. To make a successful mod you have to know the intricacies of the AI in regards to the actions it will take under many various circumstances and ways the players might seek to exploit it tactically. As for me, I just play. Next time through I'll give that southern fort a try.
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

dalfrede wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:17 pm If you are interested in GD2 awards how did you miss Eben-Emael.
On this map I am always struggeling with the number of turns, to get the optionals. No time for stuff like that :)
BarbarianHunter wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:59 pm It's more sarcastic than an actual query. I try not to be negative but was somewhat taken aback by the reply inferring my gameplay involves exploiting bugs & cheats. The inference being it's impossible to play DvG on Generalissimus without grossly exploiting the AI's inherent vulnerabilities. No serious reply is being sought. Hope this clarifies.
This is no multiplayer game, so it is completly up to you how you play. You can just set your prestige to 100k by cheat code, no problem and no offensive.
But there is a difference between these two cases. The AI is not very smart in some situations but that is how the game works. If the ai would be as smart as a human player not a single map would work, since the AI has always far more units on the field than you do.
Since some heroes or hero combinations are somehow broken that is the reason why people play with there own houserules.

But moving units one by one to places where they got shot until they reach the awards is something else and forced by the player, not a mistake in the behaviour of the AI. What could the AI do? Not fire and try to deal some damage, because the enemy units might get some powerful rewards?
And the biggest problem is that you have to sacrifice all your ships, which is a no-go for me.

But once again, no offense. You decide how you play this game and every way is fine.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”